R&L | Zimmerman gone ?

Untie the hands of the terminal managers, and let them run their terminals, and take care of our customers, like we used to...

Become customer driven, and not driven by a bunch of numbers on a dispatchers computer screen...

Give back the personal days that employee's had not used this year...That was just "WRONG" to take those days from employee's who had not used them this year...

Take care of our customers, everything else would take care of itself...

As it is now, we run around like a bunch of "Chickens with our heads cut off"..

How about telling us what is going on. In the past we were always told what was going on in the company. Now you have to "know someone" to find anything out. It seems it is all about the numbers! Rollback to when we did not charge for liftgate, appointments, freezable, haz mat and whatever else BS that they can think of. We were known for our free liftgate! Enough with the conference calls!

I so agree.It seems that as they try to change things its getting worse instead of better.Seems to me that it would be better to go back to the old way of doing things.I rarely mark liftgate use anyway though as I look at it as helping me,not the customer.

How about telling us what is going on. In the past we were always told what was going on in the company. Now you have to "know someone" to find anything out. It seems it is all about the numbers! Rollback to when we did not charge for liftgate, appointments, freezable, haz mat and whatever else BS that they can think of. We were known for our free liftgate! Enough with the conference calls!

Well said and get back to being simple and easy for the customer. Get rid of the new YRC regime and bring back the old one that built the company. Don't be focused on being the largest carrier, just a damn good one that is profitable and NOT afraid to tell the "no thanks" to their freight that is not profitable.

It looks as a lot of employeess is not happy with the YRC regime choosen by the owners, perhaps they should look at other options. ABF has a President retireing and FEDEX has a President available in March 2010.

We should get back to basics...what got us to the top before all the changes. Quit worrying about what YRC, Conway, Fed Ex is doing and just do our own thing. Customer service, quit worrying about trying to make $$ everytime a customer blinks. Get the YRC upper management out of there (including sales dept) as the sales force does not have to work anymore because of the stupid YRC mentality. Customers never see them anymore and they never return calls.

Concentrate on what we know and are good at. The R&L global,out west expansion,and using outside carriers has diluted the spirit and soul of this company. Get rid of all the vp's and keep the people that actually move the freight.

What would I do...
1. Meet all promotional obligations, i.e. New Orleans Bowl, not renew Rousch/Fenway sponsorship or the New Orleans Bowl. Then do not renew any contract for the near future. possibly look at more localized advertising.

2. Retract personal time elimination for employees that haven't used them.

3 Take a serious look at how to streamline and better route drivers and frieght. Improve time management. Hold supervisor accountible for poor routing causing lost time on the street. A majority of problems for a driver can be solved in the office!

4. Selectively close terminals that are too close to major market cities. Expand operations in those major markets.

5. Monitor driver productivity and help them to increase productivity while operating in a safe manner.

6. Maintain a saftey bonus program. Cheaper to pay a driver to be safe than to pay for 1 accident that driver can have.

7. Stay with philosophy of not purchasing new tractors since new emissions requirements are costly to maintain, do not get as good mpg, and is unproven in the US.

8. Offer more customer friendly services for free. I.e. liftgates, inside or residential deliveries. Of course time would have to be kept track of, if a delivery took an extended amount of time.

9. Have sales department increase there productivity. Untie there hands to give spot rates on freight for early shipments.

10. INCREASE EMPLOYEE MORALE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's ten things right there!

I agree with all of that except the free inside delivery and residential.......those deliveries are always time consuming and difficult.........especially when you have two 811 pound vending machines that they want "taken upstairs, down the hall, last room on the left, in the far corner" while it's raining and you're parked in the middle of a mudhole and there's no pavement in sight

I agree with all of that except the free inside delivery and residential.......those deliveries are always time consuming and difficult.........especially when you have two 811 pound vending machines that they want "taken upstairs, down the hall, last room on the left, in the far corner" while it's raining and you're parked in the middle of a mudhole and there's no pavement in sight

I would agree with that situation and limits would need to be set. But lets be honest that is not the norm. Thats also why I said keep track of times and etc.

these salespeople we have will tell customers anything to get the business......they don't have to get out here and deliver this stuff.......i don't know exactly what you guys would consider "norm" but over the last three years I've logged more miles on dirt (sand) roads than pavement.........you'd think everybody in Florida lives on a unpaved road

Once you've got the "big boys "from the YRC gang in power , do you really think you're going to get rid of them???? I don't believe for one minute that we will ever see the "old R&L" again. It's way to big and can't be managed by "common folk" that started it. There's way to much money involved now.I really think there's only 2 choices: 1-go under or 2-sell out to someone even bigger.

they should hire me to take his place.......I could certainly do a much better job.....and I would do it for a fourth of his current salary

I would love to lay my pay stubs out beside those of the management people and compare just how much their income has decreased proportionately to ours. then have them explain how I need to understand.

WHaT?!?:shock: Did you say "upstairs", as in "steps"???

"Sorry sir, we don't take anything up or down steps." That's what he would've heard from me.

We absolutely do NOT do steps. That came from the regional director himself.