Yellow | 40 41 43 Tractors

Those Kysors were notorious for leaking A/C condensate all over the floor. And were responsible for more than a few shattered elbows!

I just want to say Hello long time listener first time caller. Howdy everybody.40 41 43 tractors had?? Big White Steering Wheel A/C on the back wall Rain coming in everywhere.
Where did you find your profile picture? I remember when Big R tested 2 or 3 different liveries. Yours is one of those tested paint schemes.

I'm one of those guys that spent the money. I could talk to the space shuttle on certain nights. Other nights I could talk to the back row of the truck stop from the fuel pumps. All that from a cobra 29 peaked and tuned.

I could talk across the interstate to a Carolina or Cornflake, if I wasn't listened to Dave Nemo on WWL N.O.

Those Kysors were notorious for leaking A/C condensate all over the floor. And were responsible for more than a few shattered elbows!

I remember a few drivers with cracked elbows, but we didn't have water leaks on ours.

42NAY4L.jpg

Where did you find your profile picture? I remember when Big R tested 2 or 3 different liveries. Yours is one of those tested paint schemes.

I seen this tractor or its twin sister only a couple times in the yard at 511 when they were new. We never seen them again once they left our region. Most people probably didnt ever even see one. It was a rare tractor for sure. This is right about the time we went from the WC 40 series to the WIA 40 series. The one difference I always noticed was when the steer was heavy the set forward axle turned a little easier compared to this set back axle unit in the yard. Oh they updated the dash as well.

These tractors were PIEs set back axle units.Mr Breeze would know better but from what I remember they were all or mostly 25 series tractors. His profile picture is a 23 series set forward axle Fruitliner. I think they had 21 series conventionals as well. They were the new conventional tractors Ryder/PIE purchased before giving Jim his name back and combining with the west. They were popular with everyone in there day as many freight lines had them. Hell even Roadway purchased some as well. They only had one seat so we would know were to sit.

These tractors were PIEs set back axle units.Mr Breeze would know better but from what I remember they were all or mostly 25 series tractors. His profile picture is a 23 series set forward axle Fruitliner. I think they had 21 series conventionals as well. They were the new conventional tractors Ryder/PIE purchased before giving Jim his name back and combining with the west. They were popular with everyone in there day as many freight lines had them. Hell even Roadway purchased some as well. They only had one seat so we would know were to sit.

You're right about the 25 & 23 series.
We got 100 used ABF Volvos with setback axle, don't recall if they were numbered 21.
These tractors ran only 55mph, drivers wouldn't accept them until they were turned to 65-68 mph.
We had some Helms/Byrnes units that may have been 21 series.
The clowns in the shop, put a note on my door " tractor is operated from this side only"

We got 100 used ABF Volvos with setback axle, don't recall if they were numbered 21.
These tractors ran only 55mph, drivers wouldn't accept them until they were turned to 65-68 mph.
The clowns in the shop, put a note on my door " tractor is operated from this side only"
I would like to see more of those 55 mph tractors....

I understand your CDL has a maxium of 46 mph.
Studies conducted by Patel Scientific, have proven that at speeds in excess of 46 mph, there is a 88.6 percent chance of mirror loss, especially in construction areas, near low clearances, or pedestrian walkways.

Studies conducted by Patel Scientific, have proven that at speeds in excess of 46 mph, there is a 88.6 percent chance of mirror loss, especially in construction areas, near low clearances, or pedestrian walkways.

I wonder if the 15 mph rule was factored into Patel's study?...... "Big difference, you know"

Yes sir if you remember the back wall or inside the cab was still green. They were the the same as a 44 series we had at Roadway. A set back axle unit.The series was 25. They had only the small air shield on them that had no logo or cab extenders. We had the lite up logos on the 24 series Fruitliner cab overs. My dad hated them vs the K100 cab over Kenworths that we had that were blue 26 series. no room on your foot in the Fruitliner. He came from Ryder Truck Lines. "The Best In The Long Run" was on the back doors.

Breeze is this really you getting a "ticket" at the chicken coop?

SPllAov.jpg
Those look like the Memphis drivers They always pointed there antennas way forward. They also wore sometimes suit and ties at 511. They were the last of the real drivers that I know that dressed like that. Sorry Big R Guy no flip flops or tank tops here

Yes sir if you remember the back wall or inside the cab was still green. They were the the same as a 44 series we had at Roadway. A set back axle unit.The series was 25. They had only the small air shield on them that had no logo or cab extenders. We had the lite up logos on the 24 series Fruitliner cab overs. My dad hated them vs the K100 cab over Kenworths that we had that were blue 26 series. no room on your foot in the Fruitliner. He came from Ryder Truck Lines. "The Best In The Long Run" was on the back doors.

I never drove but a couple of Volvos, the 26 series KWs would freeze you and the 26 COE Freightliners were Jiffs
I started in Charl with Ryder in 1955 and was still there in 90 when they closed the doors.