XPO | 65mph, Is It Just Us Mostly?

Conway Lifer

TB Lurker
Credits
3 1/2 hour run today, here is who passed me: UPS, OLD DOMINION, ESTES, SAIA, FEDEX FREIGHT, KNIGHT, SWIFTT, WERNER, FEDEX GROUND, AND EVEN YRC. Good for them, the worst part about going 65, is trying to pass a truck going 64 mph. You need so much open highway, in order to have the time to creep pass them, without causing a traffic jam behind you. It seems to me, the slowest trucks on the road now are: May trucking, most Schineder, Stewart, Smart and Final, and .......Xpo Logistics. I’m sure I’m forgetting some. I’m all for safety, but when you get stuck behind these slower trucks, you can’t use cruise control, or else you will drop down to 62mph, to get a safe distance. When we did 70mph, it was great. You were able to separate from the 64mph and lower trucks, and the trucks that did over 70mph, passed you by, leaving you for the most part, by your self, able to set cruise control, and relax. So it’s seems to me, we are the slowest ltl carrier on the road today, it’s strange to me, other carriers don’t feel the need to turn down their tractors.

3 1/2 hour run today, here is who passed me: UPS, OLD DOMINION, ESTES, SAIA, FEDEX FREIGHT, KNIGHT, SWIFTT, WERNER, FEDEX GROUND, AND EVEN YRC. Good for them, the worst part about going 65, is trying to pass a truck going 64 mph. You need so much open highway, in order to have the time to creep pass them, without causing a traffic jam behind you. It seems to me, the slowest trucks on the road now are: May trucking, most Schineder, Stewart, Smart and Final, and .......Xpo Logistics. I’m sure I’m forgetting some. I’m all for safety, but when you get stuck behind these slower trucks, you can’t use cruise control, or else you will drop down to 62mph, to get a safe distance. When we did 70mph, it was great. You were able to separate from the 64mph and lower trucks, and the trucks that did over 70mph, passed you by, leaving you for the most part, by your self, able to set cruise control, and relax. So it’s seems to me, we are the slowest ltl carrier on the road today, it’s strange to me, other carriers don’t feel the need to turn down their tractors.
Lol.... drive a Holland truck...lol

You will learn to just stay in the right lane and stay out of everyone's way. Lol

There isn't any stress driving a slow truck..... because you are not going to pass anyone... . The sooner you realize that the less stress you will have.

Old Dominion has 68 and 70 mph trucks, but only for longer runs. Everything else is 65.
I rarely get to pass anyone.
If I see someone creeping up on me, I'll get out of it and let them by.
I'm rarely afforded the same courtesy. I like the faster trucks too.
Dont feel like the lone ranger.

Old Dominion has 68 and 70 mph trucks, but only for longer runs. Everything else is 65.
I consider you getting out of the way acting like a professional driver. I do the same thing. I’ve done some things I’m not proud of on the road, but so many have the motto “drive fast and take chances”.

I think I've posted this before. Traffic is VERY lite due to COVID-19.

Some insurance companies are doing refunds or discounts to policies due to the situation.

Fuel is at all-time low prices.

Wouldn't it be a nice gesture ( companies are risking very little ) to set trucks to run faster? There's really no reason not to.

Winter weather is mostly gone. There seems to be no excuse to keep tractors turned down.

Never understood why a driver can not just let up on the pedal for 3 seconds. That is all it takes. And that truck going just a little fast can get around. When I drover AAA Cooper and ran I 95 every night One UPS driver I would catch up to. I see him miles down the road. Would take about 30 minutes to catch up. But could not get around him. Til I hit a small hill. My Trailer was empty on the way back. So I could get around him on that hill.

Seeing what is going on in the world today and this is your gripe?

:crybaby::crybaby::crybaby::crybaby: In all my years of driving the one thing I learned is there is always someone driving a faster truck then you.
Here's a question for you. What caused us to have the truck turned back to 65?????? The answer is what you see in the mirror

I think I've posted this before. Traffic is VERY lite due to COVID-19.

Some insurance companies are doing refunds or discounts to policies due to the situation.

Fuel is at all-time low prices.

Wouldn't it be a nice gesture ( companies are risking very little ) to set trucks to run faster? There's really no reason not to.

Winter weather is mostly gone. There seems to be no excuse to keep tractors turned down.
I also heard the Truck crashes are down 51%

Pass trans am and prime , no problem

:crybaby::crybaby::crybaby::crybaby: In all my years of driving the one thing I learned is there is always someone driving a faster truck then you.
Here's a question for you. What caused us to have the truck turned back to 65?????? The answer is what you see in the mirror
The real reason is Tony Brooks came back....Mr. 65 himself. It’s easy to correlate that when he left we jumped to 70.... and when they brought him back almost exactly 1 year later.... dumped back to 65. Prove me wrong.

Just asking,and not trying to throw gas on this fire. But what if the national speed limit for trucks was 60, and XPO trucks were still governed at 65? Would that make any difference?