ABF | ABF and YRCW Petition against Orphans in Question!

Do you think ABF or YRCW will go out of business?

• Neither ABF or YRCW can continue to pay orphans

Votes: 52 44.8%
  • ABF and YRCW are doomed while paying orphans!

Votes: 27 23.3%
  • It's not a problem!

Votes: 14 12.1%
  • ABF and YRCW are bluffing!

Votes: 23 19.8%

• Total voters

wild deuce

TB Veteran
Credits
Now that there is a Republican controlled House in Washington,
the petition that ABF and YRCW introduced to stop paying pensions to orphans is in serious question!

Thanks to truck driving republicans and tea partyers!

ABF and YRCW will not be able to continue to pay orphans ...

wild deuce
a fact is a fact

Now that there is a Republican controlled House in Washington,
the petition that ABF and YRCW introduced to stop paying pensions to orphans is in serious question!

Thanks to truck driving republicans and tea partyers!

ABF and YRCW will not be able to continue to pay orphans ...

wild deuce
a fact is a fact
yrc is not paying anything.

Not what I hear ! Member, partial credit, but next year full contribution to billed the fund back up.

Not what I hear ! Member, partial credit, but next year full contribution to billed the fund back up.
Well hears a possibility what YRC could do is to come back to the employees and ask for an other pay cut and then apply that pay cut to the pensions . I think that those guys sitting on the 25 year mark might just go for it . Just my thought , haven't heard any thing to that effect .

Check back in a year and let me know how thats working out. If and when they(YRC) starts contributing to the pension fund it will be at 25% which means you will have to work 4 weeks for one week, or 4yrs. for for 1yr. of service if they (YRC) dosen't come back with their hands out yet again or ASK for another(EXTENSION). But in 2010 we(ABF) made (MONEY), BOUGHT (NEW EQUIP.) and even hired in all positions throughout the system, and might I ADD that we also made our Monthly contributions to the Pension Fund and Payed Full Rate as well. Apparently I just don't see the (Big Picture). Happy Trails and be Safe out there.

Check back in a year and let me know how thats working out. If and when they(YRC) starts contributing to the pension fund it will be at 25% which means you will have to work 4 weeks for one week, or 4yrs. for for 1yr. of service if they (YRC) dosen't come back with their hands out yet again or ASK for another(EXTENSION). But in 2010 we(ABF) made (MONEY), BOUGHT (NEW EQUIP.) and even hired in all positions throughout the system, and might I ADD that we also made our Monthly contributions to the Pension Fund and Payed Full Rate as well. Apparently I just don't see the (Big Picture). Happy Trails and be Safe out there.
You would have to work for 100 years to get a 25 year pension .

Apples & Oranges

That was "stupid" to put us in the same boat on this question.

You should have given this more thought, in the question.

Averritt Express has a 401K that we put into and can not be taken away or reduced by some pension fund. Pension Protection Act can not reduce our Social Security by what our enployer puts in. WE DON'T PAY UNION Dues either.

This Orphan stuff is bull____ those members had there pensions paid while they were working.They deserve what was paid for in there years.The companys bought up some of these so call Orphans companys and forced others out of business.I can`t believe people fall for this crap.

Can anyone explane to me the meaning of the term orphans,I would bet that better than 90% of the people that are still left in the freight industry came from other union trucking companys and as part of there benfit package money was paid into the pension fund for them.
Some quit relocated or were fired or there companys closed but they were lucky enough to land another job at a union trucking company which continued to pay into the fund for them so does orphan mean if you have 15 years at another company that closed and 20 at your present company the 15 years at the company that closed do not count for anything and when you go to retire only the time that will be counted is the time that you put in from the company you are retireing from.

This Orphan stuff is bull____ those members had there pensions paid while they were working.They deserve what was paid for in there years.The companys bought up some of these so call Orphans companys and forced others out of business.I can`t believe people fall for this crap.

Everyone should read this post again............. Couldn't have been said better!

I agree totally. These companies that are left are not paying for "orphans" they're paying for their employees, unless you work for YRC, they don't pay nothing. Orphans equal bull---- story!!!

A vast majority of the orphan company employees are now working with other union companies or whats left of them . Preston ,C F . Churchill most of these drivers got on with ABF Yellow Roadway Holland so they were really not orphans . The companies try and portray that all the companies that went out have all these x employees walken the streets and that just ain't so . Seems that every time a company went out the other companies gobbeled the emplyees up to cover the added business .

Well Dave59, does Averritt pay your benefits? Do you have job protection, do your road drivers make six figures? I will gladly pay $59.00 a month to make these wages, have my benefits paid and have representation by the union. Not to mention a pension. Maybe we should organize Averritt so you can have a better life too.

Dave59,You need to look up( Goverment takeover of private retirements accounts,401k & IRA).The goverment has to pay off the national debt and what better way than with the trillions in 401K.

A lot of people seem to for get that the good thing about the union is that your pension follows you . If you worked for McLean and went to ABF or Yellow you pension benefits stayed with you . I don't know how it works in a non union environment . I would think not because the nonunion companies do not have a concurrence with each other . I don't think Conway would put in to a 401 from Old Dominion . IMO.

Dave59... We don't live in our trucks and take showers at our terminals and truck stops. When we get thru with our run we go to a nice motel and get paid layover if we are not put back to work. We don't stay away from home all week. If we blow a tire or break down we get paid by the hour for all time, $23.50 and hour by the way not $14 after two hours and .59 a mile not .37. If we have to wait for a load, drop and hook, impassable highway, or any other reason for a delay that is not our fault we get paid all time involved. We spend no time loading and unloading. We go to work pretrip our trucks go to the next terminal get out go to motel or home which ever applys. I make over $2000 a week and get treated with respect. Averitt Express has you brain washed. I know all about Averitt Express and that job does not hold a candle to this one. They can't fire us just cuz they don't like us and we don't have to wear a red shirt black pants black shoes black socks shave or any of that other stupid ::shit:: that don't matter. Averitt has the truckload drivers hauling that high revenue ltl freight for nothing. Face it driver they are nothing but pimps taking the money off their *****s. Union dues is all we pay. They pay all of our benefits plus retirement.

YES!!!
I agree totally. But they way I understand it the legislation that they are trying to pass will have the orphan portion of those guys pension taken over by some sort of pension guarantee from the government paying a rate much better than the rate now paid by the multi employer pension benefit guaranty something something that is now in place for pensions that fail where you get pennies on the dollar.
Basically a government bailout of yrc when it comes down to it. Is it right? I don't know but I can say it is WAY more moral to give money to working class folks who will use it to keep the heat on in the winter than to give billions to bankers who used the money for things they still don't know.