FedEx Freight | Abysmal morale on the Orlando hub

Blue42

TB Lurker
Credits
For almost my entire career here I actually enjoyed coming to work, but these last 6 months things have got really bad. Basically some road drivers complained to, I think corporate, that they felt Orlando hub was giving favoritism to some drivers. Seems like some people in management got in trouble about it. We had a meeting at Orlando about it. Next thing I know they begin to hold people MUCH longer than they were before (seems retaliatory). All road drivers on the hub got mad, so they held a meeting. They told us we were being held, thus them not hire more dock workers because the economy is slow and people weren't working. Well that's changed, we are not slow, and they continue to hold everyone until 30 minutes til there cut time, sometimes later. I also know a case where a driver had trailers ready for them when they got into the yard, and Orlando held them until after their cut time; and of course the driver missed gate. A driver could have trailers ready for them when they arrived in the yard at 1030pm; doesn't matter, if you're cut time isn't till 4am then I guess you are working there all night. Why have people working on the hub making $34/hour who don't want to be there all night, when you can hire people for $19/hour who do want to be there all night? Not to mention the freight is getting back WAY later than it used to. I can promise you those end of the line centers have lost money waiting around for the freight to come in late due to this change. This decision of there's is BADLY hurting morale AND costing the company way more money AND causing freight to come in late. My personal opinion, is that, besides it being possibly retaliatory, is they are doing this for "bean counting reason". Probably lowers Orlando's expenses by not hiring more dock workers, making them look good. Even though it costs the company more money. The morale on the hub for road drivers working it is lower than morale was back in back in 2013/2014 with CEO Bill Logue and everyone talking union. Everyday I hear my co-workers complain to me about it in some form and I am sick of it. Maybe I've been lucky, but I have worked at many hubs in my career here, and have never had anything this bad ever happen before. If you were held until 4 am it was because there wasn't trailers for you, or you had a VERY short run, not because they refuse to hire the help they need. It is clear Orlando doesn't care. PSP (people service profit). This is hurting Profit, Service and People.

My man, you're not a driver. You're a dockworker with company transport. And unfortunately always will be with FXF.

It matters none to both those on the hub and those who are lucky to hold hubturns how many garbage trailers you get because literally everything has to be cubed out and these new decks ain't worth a ::shit::, how worn down and exhausted you are when you get back behind the wheel to make your journey back home, how many skids of inserts you literally spend hours picking up because its garbage freight. And once thats all done you get to fight that morning traffic hearing that little radar going off every 3 seconds making you want to slaughter everyone and everything on the road, and thats if you're lucky enough to have a truck where the lane departure isn't so sensitive that it goes off every time too.

Last edited:
Your fighting a losing battle. As long as they get them closed by your cut corporate doesn't care.

When I had a Louisville shuttle bid there would literally be 10 full pups in our lane at the door, and the supervisor wouldn't close. The OM told him not to, because they wanted to keep us on the dock as long as possible. Back then if we got our bills 1 minute late we would roll 1 minute late out the gate.

That won't work now because gate times use to be 20% of management's numbers when it came to their reviews. Now it is only 5%. So good luck getting them to care about that now.

At your show time you do have the option of clocking out and collecting delay. However that also prolongs your day even further. Depends how petty you're willing to get.

For example I'll hit a hotel room before I load a single piece of freight after my show time at the hub. Just to prove a point.

At your show time you do have the option of clocking out and collecting delay. However that also prolongs your day even further. Depends how petty you're willing to get.

For example I'll hit a hotel room before I load a single piece of freight after my show time at the hub. Just to prove a point.
Yep, we had a driver that was getting 3+ of delay in Atlanta. He called central to complain, and said "drivers are getting fatigued". Drivers not him.... They shut him down. Left freight sitting, and had him cushion back with another driver. Then they told him he couldn't drive till he got another physical. He did and then he was told he would have to get another physical, because this one didn't say anything about fatigue. Retaliation???

He got HR involved, and they accepted his physical. He lost three days pay!

Last edited:
Retaliation for sure you know that.
It's the FDX main tool to use on us.
Yes it is they will do anything and everything to a driver that doesn’t drink the purple pee. Been there done that and over last several years it’s worse you have drivers writing bs statements on what they heard on dock or break room and you are fighting for your job . F em

OP - you just described the REAL FedEx Culture! It’s not just your hub. If you want to work here, it’s best to keep conversation to a minimum and emotions out of it…

I show up everyday prepared for the worst and try to find joy in any good thing that happens. (Like Friday, when that giant bug hit the windshield right in front of my face and somehow didn’t explode!)

:)

It’s an unfortunate situation but this isn’t a battle you can win. Every hub with a large shuttle operation goes through this in cycles. There will be good times where they have plenty of dock help and the shuttle drivers are getting turn and burns along with lots of VIAs and kick-outs. But there will also be times where they rely heavily on shuttle drivers to perform dock work until their cut time. The policy is on their side because this is how the shuttle operation was intended to work, no matter how much money they waste doing it this way.

The only way to go around this is if you can convince your SCM to work with central to have some shuttle runs do their dock work at the completion of their run. OMA has that setup with some of their KCY shuttle runs. The first few drivers turn and burn but are expected to clock in to help setup the AM dock in OMA.

Yes it is they will do anything and everything to a driver that doesn’t drink the purple pee. Been there done that and over last several years it’s worse you have drivers writing bs statements on what they heard on dock or break room and you are fighting for your job . F em
I think it's the business model that FDX wants and likes , 0% unity and decention , backstabbing and round mouths.
Right get your paperwork get the hell out of there - come in turn in your papers and straight to your car bypassing the wash women who will go back in and say "You should hear what I just heard out in the lot." We all know who you are even if you think or not , your reputation precedes your actions.

I think it's the business model that FDX wants and likes , 0% unity and decention , backstabbing and round mouths.
Right get your paperwork get the hell out of there - come in turn in your papers and straight to your car bypassing the wash women who will go back in and say "You should hear what I just heard out in the lot." We all know who you are even if you think or not , your reputation precedes your actions.
We call the useful idiots. When they are no longer useful. They are just idiots. Funny thing most of the time they get clipped 1st..

You'd think Fedex would've learned it in the decades of operation - If they keep people busy, moving, whatnot the bitching/drama dies down significantly.

Its when we have idle time that as a collective we get into a rowdy cunty bitchy mood.

You'd think Fedex would've learned it in the decades of operation - If they keep people busy, moving, whatnot the bitching/drama dies down significantly.

Its when we have idle time that as a collective we get into a rowdy cunty bitchy mood.
You are so right. The longer I'm here you'd think I would have tons of options to bid, but nope. Last two years my options get less and less as more PT roll out the gate.

I have no clue why I am so bitchy, and moody here lately...

You are so right. The longer I'm here you'd think I would have tons of options to bid, but nope. Last two years my options get less and less as more PT roll out the gate.

I have no clue why I am so bitchy, and moody here lately...
We're all kinda bitchy and moody.

I've managed to move backwards 7 times on the board. from loss of runs and those quitting under me. Hard to keep guys here when SAIA is hiring for a higher CPM and its no dock.