FedEx Freight | Aging workforce

Gator

Outstanding Member
Credits
Has FedEx realized they’re about to get hit with mass retirement. The aging of the workforce from Viking ,AF, and Watkins is on top of them. I Being one of them. After 30 years here I’m hanging it up a little early at 60 and a half. Just tired of the noisy truck that is nothing but a distraction.
But back to the subject,,,within the next 5 years I see 20 to 30 percent retirement with no replacements.
Maybe Rajs plan as no company drivers at FedEx

I was sitting in my truck the other day in front of dispatch waiting on my assignment and I was just observing the people coming in and out and I noticed the same thing.

A lot of the drivers coming in and out we're really old. They were struggling to climb the stairs in either direction.

A lot of them stay for various reasons. I know of one driver that works his 70 every week because he's divorced and has nothing else to do, but he's definitely up there in age.

The next few years will be very interesting.

Has FedEx realized they’re about to get hit with mass retirement. The aging of the workforce from Viking ,AF, and Watkins is on top of them. I Being one of them. After 30 years here I’m hanging it up a little early at 60 and a half. Just tired of the noisy truck that is nothing but a distraction.
But back to the subject,,,within the next 5 years I see 20 to 30 percent retirement with no replacements.
You got it!!

I think that's probably at most all LTL Companies at my barn we have only two drivers in their late thirty's that is the youngest, the biggest age group is 55 Plus.
I was sitting in my truck the other day in front of dispatch waiting on my assignment and I was just observing the people coming in and out and I noticed the same thing.

A lot of the drivers coming in and out we're really old. They were struggling to climb the stairs in either direction.

A lot of them stay for various reasons. I know of one driver that works his 70 every week because he's divorced and has nothing else to do, but he's definitely up there in age.

The next few years will be very interesting.

They can recruit at the southern border!

ACTUARIAL EQUIVALENCE TABLE
For those individuals who retire subject to the Default Schedule, Distressed Employer Schedule, or an RPW, the Contribution-Based
Pension monthly benefit is payable according to the following table for those participants who retire prior to age 65 with a minimum
retirement age of 57:
Retirement Age: 65 64 63 62 61 60 59 58 57
Benefit Payable: 100% 90% 81% 74% 67% 61% 55% 50%46%

The above chart from the Teamsters Central States Pension Plan shows why the people at YRC Freight and Holland were hanging on until at least 65 years old! Many who couldn't find a job went ahead and took the "early retirement" with the cuts in pension amounts!

Might be why there is talk about self driving trucks. At any rate there just doesnt seem to be much younger people wanting to work hard or long hours at any type job. It will be interesting to see what happens not to mention a little scary. We work to pay in and help the old people before us but with more takers and less makers who knows where we might end up.

It's is the same at every company. Millennials and gen zero are worthless, for the most part. They think making an ice coffee is hard work.

Hey! Don't talk about my people like that and I'll have you know only 1 or 2 people at my local Dunkin make my coffee the way I like it. I'm not a fan of iced coffee, though. It's a cup of ice, but costs more. It's so stupid. When Dunkin offers a "free medium iced coffee" I order an iced coffee with no ice. That's the right way to do it.

Hey! Don't talk about my people like that
Come on now, S69, you know who they are, lol. Yes there are exceptions (like you?) but we all see it.
I was never a fan of my generation. (X). I always considered myself a blue collar Boomer like the people I hung out with. Definitely wasn’t a fan of X music. When SRV died, it was the end of the music I loved. Thank god I still have those cassettes :17142: Yeah, I probably only have 5 CDs.
I admit liking millennial and Z bashing as the next guy but I’m not immune to the irony that it’s my generation and late boomers who created them. “Time out???” Yeah I got a time out—-time out for a beating. Participation trophies????!! I was proud of that little 3rd place trophy I got in soccer. Didn’t see my friends moms dressing and listening to Madonna like their daughters. Maybe something in the brains of my kin generation went wrong and thought doing chores, responsibilities and earning an allowance was too hard and decided to take it easier on their kids. Well, I guess we’re reaping what they sowed…….

Come on now, S69, you know who they are, lol. Yes there are exceptions (like you?) but we all see it.
I was never a fan of my generation. (X). I always considered myself a blue collar Boomer like the people I hung out with. Definitely wasn’t a fan of X music. When SRV died, it was the end of the music I loved. Thank god I still have those cassettes :17142: Yeah, I probably only have 5 CDs.
I admit liking millennial and Z bashing as the next guy but I’m not immune to the irony that it’s my generation and late boomers who created them. “Time out???” Yeah I got a time out—-time out for a beating. Participation trophies????!! I was proud of that little 3rd place trophy I got in soccer. Didn’t see my friends moms dressing and listening to Madonna like their daughters. Maybe something in the brains of my kin generation went wrong and thought doing chores, responsibilities and earning an allowance was too hard and decided to take it easier on their kids. Well, I guess we’re reaping what they sowed…….

Nope, my feelings are hurt and I earned those participation trophies.

I stopped reading when you stopped talking about me. It just became not interesting :lmao:

Things between parents and their kids are definitely weird today. My parents were really strict. We lived in the projects in Brooklyn so I wasn't allowed to go outside, but when I was I went crazy lol.

What you're describing is called entitlement. And those that are not entitled cling to being a victim. It's why everybody is running to a "marginalized" group and everybody is gay. The parents are encouraging this so they can be "cool".

I keep my kid busy. The only day he doesn't have an activity is Friday and that's just because I can't find anything to fill it. My wife thinks its overkill, but he likes everything he does and it's better than him being in front of the tv 10 hours a day.

It’s comical to think that they will have trouble hiring people when others retire. Maybe in selective very small barns but that’s about it. Some of the stuff you say is waaaay out there
But of course your minions will agree with you for sure Hopefully when the 20-30% retire then 20-30% will move up in seniority..

The Sub, is lining up these guys to,step in.

IMG_9526ba13938f76739fa3.md.jpeg IMG_948944cd38a05b346d6e.md.jpeg