FedEx Freight | Aging workforce

It’s comical to think that they will have trouble hiring people when others retire. Maybe in selective very small barns but that’s about it. Some of the stuff you say is waaaay out there
But of course your minions will agree with you for sure Hopefully when the 20-30% retire then 20-30% will move up in seniority..

They'll hire them, but they don't stay long. In the past year my building has lost about 10 drivers. I work at a hub with 75% runs that over 500 miles.

I think a lot of you guys that have been here for a while forget what it's like to be at the bottom, especially during a bad economic cycle.

With the economy being what it is, the top guys aren't retiring and the bottom guys aren't working. It's not a surprise they move on to try something else. Who can survive working 1 or 2 days a week if this is their main source of income with this record inflation.

It's also not farfetched to believe that once the economy does recover, a lot of the guys that held off retirement will all retire at the same time. So instead of having a few retire here and there, they all do it at the bounce.

It’s comical to think that they will have trouble hiring people when others retire. Maybe in selective very small barns but that’s about it. Some of the stuff you say is waaaay out there
But of course your minions will agree with you for sure Hopefully when the 20-30% retire then 20-30% will move up in seniority..
They absolutely will, because it's already happening. It's a statistical fact that the number of young men/women going into class A driving as a career has decreased by 72% in the last decade. Look it up.
Also, it's not that 20% of the current drivers are retiring over the next 5-8yrs,it's closer to 50%. Hiring another 50% that quickly will be difficult. On top of that, millennials are the smallest generation. The bodies simply do not exist. There's currently a 400,000 worker shortage across the US due to this, and it will grow to almost 1 million until 2035.
They have 2 options.
Make do with less runs
Or
Use immigrant labor.

Your emotions do not trump statistics.

They absolutely will, because it's already happening. It's a statistical fact that the number of young men/women going into class A driving as a career has decreased by 72% in the last decade. Look it up.
Also, it's not that 20% of the current drivers are retiring over the next 5-8yrs,it's closer to 50%. Hiring another 50% that quickly will be difficult. On top of that, millennials are the smallest generation. The bodies simply do not exist. There's currently a 400,000 worker shortage across the US due to this, and it will grow to almost 1 million until 2035.
They have 2 options.
Make do with less runs
Or
Use immigrant labor.

Your emotions do not trump statistics.
Don't worry uncle Joe is bringing in workers everyday. It's going to be hilarious when they all vote republican because they know the left is tearing this country apart.

They'll hire them, but they don't stay long. In the past year my building has lost about 10 drivers. I work at a hub with 75% runs that over 500 miles.

I think a lot of you guys that have been here for a while forget what it's like to be at the bottom, especially during a bad economic cycle.

With the economy being what it is, the top guys aren't retiring and the bottom guys aren't working. It's not a surprise they move on to try something else. Who can survive working 1 or 2 days a week if this is their main source of income with this record inflation.

It's also not farfetched to believe that once the economy does recover, a lot of the guys that held off retirement will all retire at the same time. So instead of having a few retire here and there, they all do it at the bounce.
If the economy recovers. Its pretty gloomy and I'm not so sure we have not seen the worse yet.

Might be why there is talk about self driving trucks. At any rate there just doesnt seem to be much younger people wanting to work hard or long hours at any type job. It will be interesting to see what happens not to mention a little scary. We work to pay in and help the old people before us but with more takers and less makers who knows where we might end up.
The younger bunch don't want to work, much less drive a truck. They would prefer to sit at home and be a social media influencer.
I know that if I had to start all over again in this day and age in this environment of over-regulation and control by the government, trucking wouldn't be on the radar.
I am SO glad I am out of it.

Zoomers, the generation entering the workforce, and the generation the world NEEDS to be class A drivers, is too small.
Fx (and every other employer) needs to be doing EVERYTHING they can to gobble up what few available bodies there will be for workers.
Once they go into a different field, they're gone forever.

They are going to have a hard time replacing us old guys as the younger people are smarter than us and don't want to work 60 plus hours a week and on loading dock when its -10 below with snow drifting across it and only going home to shower & sleep a few hours !! :6788:
"Wuss" I can recall walking across that cold azz dock to get my bills when it was almost 38 degrees. :lmao: :lmao: