Dayton | Any good news at Dayton?

It is supposed to show up on the Tread App. I don't believe it has yet. Maybe tomorrow?
The new podcast is out now. It put our new top scale at 71.5 cents per mile and $29.41 per hour effective now. Also, beginning next January those with seniority dates in 2016 and earlier will be receiving 3 weeks of vacation. They cut three years off of the progression from two to three weeks of vacation. They also got rid of the 6 month pay raise and are starting drivers out at that part of the previous progression, so starting pay is higher now as well.

Last edited:
Not quite the 5% rumored. I'm not going anywhere because it's the easiest linehaul job there is. But I don't think it is going to attract experienced drivers from other companies. We are still 2 personnel days short with only 3 and almost everybody else is still above us on wages. At least the other companies that anybody would want to work for.

Correction came out today on mileage pay: It wasn't a 1.8 cent increase, it was an increase to 71.8 cents (not 71.5).

Not quite the 5% rumored. I'm not going anywhere because it's the easiest linehaul job there is. But I don't think it is going to attract experienced drivers from other companies. We are still 2 personnel days short with only 3 and almost everybody else is still above us on wages. At least the other companies that anybody would want to work for.
I never trust those rumors. 4% would have been way more likely, bringing us to 72.5cpm, but this raise is an even 3%. City got 3.3%.
Cool. At my interview it was mentioned vacation. May change from working 9 years to earn 3 weeks vacations to 5 years working to 3 weeks.

I be damned it happened this soon. Just hire me
Do you have a start date yet?

I never trust those rumors. 4% would have been way more likely, bringing us to 72.5cpm, but this raise is an even 3%. City got 3.3%.

Do you have a start date yet?
I was hired Mike W. Sent e email told me i was passed up. Sheez. Wish at least tell me why. Might be able to fix the problem if i knew what is was.

Employers doing this stuff, if its legal to tell me. Just tell me. IF its not then i get the point.

I was hired Mike W. Sent e email told me i was passed up. Sheez. Wish at least tell me why. Might be able to fix the problem if i knew what is was.

Employers doing this stuff, if its legal to tell me. Just tell me. IF its not then i get the point.
Sorry to hear that. I know the frustration because I've been in that same position. Good luck with your search.

Are you now or were you previously with a union company? Just curious, often is the issue.

Are you now or were you previously with a union company? Just curious, often is the issue.
That not always the case, although I understand why people think that. At my barn alone I can think of two road drivers and one city guy who came from Holland, for example. One of those guys also worked for a union tanker company, as well.

Plenty of union guys do get rejected, but not necessarily solely because of prior work at a union company. When a union driver doesn't get hired, that is always an easy explanation as to why, but not necessarily the real reason. Plenty of perfectly qualified drivers with perfect records and great work histories who never had any union affiliation also don't get hired and we never know why. The only people who really know are those who interviewed those drivers.

Have you guys heard anything about this upcoming vote on dock to drivers getting to use dock seniority as driver seniority?
We had the first vote on that policy right after I started here. The choices were to have their seniority start at their full-time dockworker status, their Class B CDL driver status, or their Class A status. The overwhelming number voted to have their bidding seniority set at the time they hit class A status. As I understand it their vacation bidding seniority goes back to their original full-time dock status though.

The driver reps had a vote several months back to decide whether that should be brought up again for a company-wide vote, and in our region the vote was overwhelmingly to keep the policy as it is. Unless other regions' driver reps happened to vote the other way you won't hear any more about it.

The only thing it looks like we will have another company-wide vote on is whether to create a no-smoking rule for the trucks or to leave the policy as-is. If the rest of the regions voted as we did, we will definitely have that vote again.

Last edited:
We had that first vote right after I started here. The overwhelming number voted to have their bidding seniority set at their class a
Yeah I have been here for ten years, so I was around for the last one also. If I remember correctly only around 200 drivers voted in favor of it. But why are we voting on it again? The idea of it pisses me off.

Yeah I have been here for ten years, so I was around for the last one also. If I remember correctly only around 200 drivers voted in favor of it. But why are we voting on it again? The idea of it pisses me off.
I don't think we are voting on it again. I think something like seven or eight out of 10 of the driver reps in my region voted against having another vote. Unless other regions voted the opposite way, we won't have another vote.

Even if we did have another vote, remember the vote for Class A was over 60% at the time? I doubt that will change much. The majority of drivers were hired in as class A and want to protect their position. I wouldn't worry about it.

I don't think we are voting on it again. I think something like seven or eight out of 10 of the driver reps in my region voted against having another vote. Unless other regions voted the opposite way, we won't have another vote.

Even if we did have another vote, remember the vote for Class A was over 60% at the time? I doubt that will change much. The majority of drivers were hired in as class A and want to protect their position. I wouldn't worry about it.i

Even if we did have another vote, remember the vote for Class A was over 60% at the time? I doubt that will change much. The majority of drivers were hired in as class A and want to protect their position. I wouldn't worry about it.
I listened to the last Dayton freight podcast again last night. Brian said that we took a vote between all the city and linehaul reps. And it's going up for vote again later this year. And that we would talk about it more in the upcoming Driver Rep meeting Oct 9th.

I spoke to Justin Sharkey about this after the last vote didn't pass. He said that we would attempt it again in the future. When there was more dock to drivers. And that hopefully it would have a better chance at passing then.

I listened to the last Dayton freight podcast again last night. Brian said that we took a vote between all the city and linehaul reps. And it's going up for vote again later this year. And that we would talk about it more in the upcoming Driver Rep meeting Oct 9th.
Gotcha. I missed that, sorry. I can only speak for my region's linehaul driver rep vote. Maybe city driver reps were hearing complaints from their D2D guys so they voted the other way, who knows.

I know my own vote to revisit the smoking policy wasn't because I personally care one way or the other. I voted that way because several road drivers at my barn complain about other drivers smoking in their trucks.

Regardless of why it's coming up for a vote, I don't think the big vote will change anything. If we vote on 3 possible seniority dates the likelihood of the broader opinion of all the drivers changing by the amount required for a different outcome is pretty slim.

Sounds like this is something the company bigwigs want. So, keep voting until…………
No need to make it into a conspiracy theory. The bigwigs don't care about dock-to-driver bidding seniority dates one way or the other.

You know if they want a policy a certain way they will just make it. They only put things up to a vote when it's something they couldn't care less about. The point of the company having a vote on anything is to **** off the fewest number of drivers by setting the policy by popular opinion.

None of the things we recently voted on affect the actual operations of the company, they were all essentially about reducing drama that gets stirred up among the drivers. When a situation could delay freight or otherwise cost the company money, they sure as hell don't let the drivers decide how to handle it.

Gotcha. I missed that, sorry. I can only speak for my region's linehaul driver rep vote. Maybe city driver reps were hearing complaints from their D2D guys so they voted the other way, who knows.

I know my own vote to revisit the smoking policy wasn't because I personally care one way or the other. I voted that way because several road drivers at my barn complain about other drivers smoking in their trucks.

Regardless of why it's coming up for a vote, I don't think the big vote will change anything. If we vote on 3 possible seniority dates the likelihood of the broader opinion of all the drivers changing by the amount required for a different outcome is pretty sl

No need to make it into a conspiracy theory. The bigwigs don't care about dock-to-driver bidding seniority dates one way or the other.

You know if they want a policy a certain way they will just make it. They only put things up to a vote when it's something they couldn't care less about. The point of the company having a vote on anything is to **** off the fewest number of drivers by setting the policy by popular opinion.

None of the things we recently voted on affect the actual operations of the company, they were all essentially about reducing drama that gets stirred up among the drivers. When a situation could delay freight or otherwise cost the company money, they sure as hell don't let the drivers decide how to handle it.
Hopefully it doesn't pass. People would quit over that passing.