XPO | Anyone know how these situations should work?

Carnifex

TB Lurker
Credits
These both happened recently, one involved me and the other was another driver. Neither one seems like it was handled properly to me...

Situation 1: Driver needed to take second week of January off (which started on the 5th I think, a couple years ago).

Problem was the SCM said he couldn't say yes or no until the calendar year turned... THEN the calendar year starts and the SCM takes Jan. 1 & 2 (thurs and fri) and nobody else could give an 'official' OK.

Driver Basically went on vacation not KNOWING if he could or not. It was pretty obvious he was OK taking the time off since nobody else put in for it but it was still insane.

Situation 2:

Driver comes in at 7am, three drivers who are senior to that driver come in at 8:30, 9:00 and 9:30 am (they chose those times in bidding)

The 7am driver had to stay every day until those three senior drivers went home because "They are senior", resulting in many 12-13 hour days.

Anyone know the rule regarding either situation? It seems like an SCM should have the leeway to give time off the first few months of a new year before the calednar turns so we can plan ahead.

And as for the second situation, i just think that's bullcrap.

Sit 1; Have run into that myself more then once and since it is not a popular week to take, I learned to relax and trust it would be open for me.

Sit 2; Wow! 7AM at my last terminal was prized and it required a lot of senority. Those that bid it also wanted all of the OT that went along with it, so we never had those issues.

However, the only time it should become an issue is after 5PM when the 8:30 start goes to overtime pay. Before that, the 7AM start goes home. Sorry, not a lot of help.

Situation 2:

Driver comes in at 7am, three drivers who are senior to that driver come in at 8:30, 9:00 and 9:30 am (they chose those times in bidding)

The 7am driver had to stay every day until those three senior drivers went home because "They are senior", resulting in many 12-13 hour days.

SCREW THAT!!!...

You come in first you go home first. Your friend is being snookered. You say he "had" to stay? Who forced it?

Rat :loser:

FOS made him stay, backed by SCM.

He had to stay until everyone senior went home, which meant at least 6PM every night because one came in at 9:30, and usually by the time that guy got back there was enough dock work to keep him, hence the 7am guy had to stay until 9:30 guy got kicked... I mean OT is nice and all but he was over 60 hrs pretty much every week for the first 2/3 of the year or so. Got a little pissed after a while trying to see his kids and whatnot... If I were him I woulda been happy as hell with the OT but his situation is quite different than mine.

Just seemed insane, making that guy stay until they all got kicked. I mean, what if a senior guy decided to come in at noon because he had to take his kids or wife somewhere a few days a week? The 7am guy has to stay till 8:30?

FOS made him stay, backed by SCM.

He had to stay until everyone senior went home, which meant at least 6PM every night because one came in at 9:30, and usually by the time that guy got back there was enough dock work to keep him, hence the 7am guy had to stay until 9:30 guy got kicked... I mean OT is nice and all but he was over 60 hrs pretty much every week for the first 2/3 of the year or so. Got a little pissed after a while trying to see his kids and whatnot... If I were him I woulda been happy as hell with the OT but his situation is quite different than mine.

Just seemed insane, making that guy stay until they all got kicked. I mean, what if a senior guy decided to come in at noon because he had to take his kids or wife somewhere a few days a week? The 7am guy has to stay till 8:30?

The SCM and FOS involved are idiots!!!...not that this is unusual ... sounds like some weenies crying about their seniority being ignored :Violin:

.......stupidity never goes away...it just re-invents itself!!!

early sstarts

SCREW THAT!!!...

You come in first you go home first. Your friend is being snookered. You say he "had" to stay? Who forced it?

yea thats bull.you start first you go home first,t.m. and fos are wrong, now days with this economy there should be a mandatory no overtime rule,dont understand why there isnt.

It did change around the time the economy started to tank. This is the beginning of the year when it happened.

I'm just asking now because the answers he got were never satisfactory but didn't want to push past SCM with it, it wasn't worth it I guess.

Ive always been told.....

yea thats bull.you start first you go home first,t.m. and fos are wrong, now days with this economy there should be a mandatory no overtime rule,dont understand why there isnt.

If all the drivers are on overtime the low seniority guy has to stay if the senior drivers want to go home. If the senior guys who start later are not on overtime and the less seniority guy is on overtime, the seniority guys who start later have to stay.

How long have we (all of us) been working here at conway it is the same and change's little from barn to barn conway does what it wants to here!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Had the going home time ordeal happen at my barn. The T.M. said that the more senior driver should of bid a earlier start time. Early start driver goes home after his 8-9 hours are done if he chooses to work overtime.

:hide: I used to whine and cry like a baby about working the dock on OT after my city peddle was done.
I still don't want the OT, but one day, I asked myself: If these people want to pay me $35.32 per hour to drive a forklift for a couple of hours, why not?
I have adjusted my personal time accordingly, and work 10-15 hrs OT per week. It is rapidly getting my main residence paid off, and when it is paid in full, I will submit retirement papers!
That is the deal I have with my Better Half: House paid off, I retire.
I realize that after the meeting on 03/09/09 my hourly wage will most likely be a little less, but still pretty good $.
Staying on topic:
At my barn, when outbound help is needed, P&D drivers hit the dock after their peddle, until all forklifts are in use. At that point, Drivers are relieved by seniority order when the next replacement arrives.:smilie_132:

:hide: I used to whine and cry like a baby about working the dock on OT after my city peddle was done.
I still don't want the OT, but one day, I asked myself: If these people want to pay me $35.32 per hour to drive a forklift for a couple of hours, why not?
I have adjusted my personal time accordingly, and work 10-15 hrs OT per week. It is rapidly getting my main residence paid off, and when it is paid in full, I will submit retirement papers!
That is the deal I have with my Better Half: House paid off, I retire.
I realize that after the meeting on 03/09/09 my hourly wage will most likely be a little less, but still pretty good $.
Staying on topic:
At my barn, when outbound help is needed, P&D drivers hit the dock after their peddle, until all forklifts are in use. At that point, Drivers are relieved by seniority order when the next replacement arrives.:smilie_132:

Ok ot lets take a look 35.32 is great money but after taxs what do you really take home 15.00 an hour on those long cool nights is it really worth it???? and lets not forget the expence of cool gear carharts long undes gloves hats boots are at least another 450.00 out of your pocket not conways lets see 15.00 an hour 30 hours of overtime just to cover your cool gear who is the fool remember you pay the taxs on what you make not conway OT is great if you can spend it on what you want not your needs and if we are to do a kick back that means more MONEY out of your pocket!!!!! more OT MORE Money.:loser:

Conway is welcome to put me into the next tax bracket anytime they want.

Ok ot lets take a look 35.32 is great money but after taxs what do you really take home 15.00 an hour on those long cool nights is it really worth it???? and lets not forget the expence of cool gear carharts long undes gloves hats boots are at least another 450.00 out of your pocket not conways lets see 15.00 an hour 30 hours of overtime just to cover your cool gear who is the fool remember you pay the taxs on what you make not conway OT is great if you can spend it on what you want not your needs and if we are to do a kick back that means more MONEY out of your pocket!!!!! more OT MORE Money.:loser:

:hide: To be quite honest and upfront, Con-Way is only one source of my income, albeit, the largest one.
My cold gear is paid for.
I do not want OT, but will accept it as needed.
I write off all of my gear and expenses on my taxes.
At this point in life: Con-Way is my personal Cash Cow!:smilie_132:

:hide: To be quite honest and upfront, Con-Way is only one source of my income, albeit, the largest one.
My cold gear is paid for.
I do not want OT, but will accept it as needed.
I write off all of my gear and expenses on my taxes.
At this point in life: Con-Way is my personal Cash Cow!:smilie_132:

Ok i can see that they (Conway) Has snow ball you!!! These are the people conway wants don't ask questions and work like robot (dont think just work) no opinion tell you what you want to here and not what you should know we are in trouble because we have to much overhead voted on thru are corp offices we will lose are jobs!!! Because of our upper management will cut the bottom to save the top that is how they think investers rule conway no investers no conway ask youself this 5 years running conway forbs mag most prof company where is all the money!!!!!!!!!!! INVESTERS & UPPER MAG Bring detter back..:loser:

Ok i can see that they (Conway) Has snow ball you!!! These are the people conway wants don't ask questions and work like robot (dont think just work) no opinion tell you what you want to here and not what you should know we are in trouble because we have to much overhead voted on thru are corp offices we will lose are jobs!!! Because of our upper management will cut the bottom to save the top that is how they think investers rule conway no investers no conway ask youself this 5 years running conway forbs mag most prof company where is all the money!!!!!!!!!!! INVESTERS & UPPER MAG Bring detter back..:loser:

I'm tired...