Yellow | Back office word

How does the the billing process work after a driver brings in the paperwork and how many night clerks does this require? What other functions do they do during a shift?

"Hey".....I'm just the line haul trucker here but have been with big R for many years.
Didnt big R have a billing center in Akron right on top of that new state of the art computer system that they put so much money into a few years back and if so wouldnt it be a great place to handle billing once everyone is on-line with roadways computer system. Like I said....a bit out of my league here but with all the new high tech pro#'s and scans available now days I would believe outsourcing these jobs would only prove costly and inefficient.

You're line of thinking is correct if you ask me. The Akron General Office is HUGE and woned by Roadway, and has state of he art technology. Sorry, I forgot to mention Akron in my post as well as a place for billing to be scanning to.

Not all Yellow billers are union, especially at EOL/ satelittles. The current billing clerk here at DAY doesn't even work for YELLOW ! She gets her job thru "Temporary Services".

Daniel, I do not know of when the India people came before, or shut down that other billing site. I don't even dial a number, ( Like you would a fax ) when I scan bills to billing. I push a couple buttons and hit enter, and AWAY THEY GO !

But, let me suggest this. The India people were here to do our tech support ! AHA ! Now, this is starting to make sense here ! Currently the computer systems at Y & R have "Network Control".... We can't even change the font to our own liking, as it is now, everything is "blocked", everything ! And we have to call "network control to fix even our "fonts" cuz they suddenly went to size 1, which even an eagle couldn't read. Ridiculous ! Sit on hold, sit on hold, when you could fix yer own font, and lately, these "network control" people don't seem to know what they doing anymore, when you call for a problem. They seem pretty lost these days while you are on hold waiting for you computer issue to get fixed....

I suggest the India people will take the jobs of two seperate "network control" systems people, and they will have the new technology to be able to this..... They are/were not here for the billing. But this is something they need to know how it works, so they can fix the Tech issues , when the issues come.......

How does the the billing process work after a driver brings in the paperwork and how many night clerks does this require? What other functions do they do during a shift?

Here is what happens at my EOL, when the driver checks in at the window. I take his B/L's and put them in the scanner. I push a couple buttons, and answer a couple questions the scanner is asking me:
B/L, D/R, OTHER, etc.
How many pages per bill (is this batch one page bills, two page bills, etc. )
Trailer number and number of bills in batch.
Do you wish a copy? ( B/L's YES, D/R's NO )

Enter ! Send to billing , sent to imaging, copy of waybills in seconds... ( waybills are just copies of B/L's but used as waybills )

How many people does it require? One, and I can easily do Yellow's B/L's as well, when they move in here. I can do D/R's the same night also, but I wait until next day, cuz of checks collections, refused, returned, etc....Sometimes I do them the same night,if there is not alot, and I have no returns or checks,etc this day....

Other functions I do as an "Administrative Assistant" --That's my OFFICAL job title the company me. I dispatch P&D. Do customer service (CCC closes at 5pm, all calls are fielded to still open terminals, I even get calls for Miami, if their lines are busy--and I can usually help them, cuz it's all on the computer, if you know how to use it--- ) I load trailers/ close loads in the computer. I work with Linehaul, on equpiment issues, and dispatch linehaul, when they arrive at my place. I tell the dock to load me pups or van, etc.... I tell them what I'm looking for, so we can make our "numbers" tonight.

I send daily "stupid reports " ( numbers graphs) to the big wigs so they can have their morning coffee and "numbers"...

This pretty much covers it....

I feel a cold one coming on....

Yellow has 6 office people & Roadway approx 12.

Even though the combined center will still have a large number of city/dock employees (guess 130?) it sounds like after the change of ops pushes through Yellow's billing & Roadway customer care jobs gone we could be looking at maybe 4-6 clerical workers to do OSD/Imaging/Appts Thanks for run-down on how it works.

Does anyone know if the call centers or service centers are union or not?

I had a p/u the other day and my dispatcher told me that I had 33 plts @ 15,000 lbs.

When I got to the shipper, I had 2 bills (one for 3plts. and another for 3 plts. @ 11,500 lbs.)

I told the dispatcher about what I had and I told him since the shipper called 2 bills for 3 plts. each that the call center rep probably wrote down 3plts. and 3 plts. which equalled 33 plts. to them.
If the driver had done something like that we would no doubt been given a warning letter.

Just goes to show you how effecient these centers are!!! It really makes the driver and the company look stupid.

Since this Customer Care concept has been created in the past two-three years, I 'd say they are all non-union, low pay. Teamsters let this one slide by to get them organized, but oh, well, it has happened and it's done now. And it was and still is, on the job training.... My CCC is in Orlando, 58 miles from me.... GEEZE... didn't the company even these folks a MAP !

It is frustrating quite often, to say the least... We got NOO RAMP HERE ! How we suppose to make this dock drop off/pick up, when the customer got a PICK UP TRUCK ! But, we are creative here, and we got chains and rig-a-ma-rows to get the job done. Thank GOD we finally got a liftgate truck !!!! ( we use this for dock drops/picks also..)Too bad the customer had to wait 3 hours until the liftgate got back from the street....

OH, YEAH ! CCC says, you can go there anytime ! They are open ! Or customer comes, and not packaged right. Customer disgusted we can't take this, etc....

Yeah, it's been fun.....:duh::shock::shades::poster_oops::

Since this Customer Care concept has been created in the past two-three years, I 'd say they are all non-union, low pay.

From what I remember, YELL has 2 customer care sites, one union, one non-union. The union change of ops moved (then) existing union customer care from the local site to the newly created union center, and the non union work transfered to the newly created non union customer care site.

Current company-speak is no plans to change ROAD customer service model, from regional as it is, to national. Last I heard the stats show the ROAD model performs better. But those previous decisions can be made on a moments notice, as we all know.

As for doing billing in India, my fear is the quality will suffer, but we will put up with it because the price is right. 10% of current rates, then we can buy more decals for stock cars, and jet fuel. Maybe the stock will even get over $4/share

i am a union office person in sea for yellow. i sincerely hope they dont get rid of billing clerks. these are good paying teamster jobs for the people who do this work, also a lot of times there is incomplete info on original bols that only a local biller would know about. are imaging is also available the next day for viewing by the customer.

Well here is how it works on the Roadway billing end. The billing center has about 40 terminals it bills for. They get the scanned bol and type the info into the mainframe. They are supposed to have a turn around time of 15 minutes for the whole trailer. Weird thing here is Toledo, OH is hiring billing clerks/asd assistants. Check the Roadway website, PA is hiring casuals too?

i am a union office person in sea for yellow. i sincerely hope they dont get rid of billing clerks. these are good paying teamster jobs for the people who do this work, also a lot of times there is incomplete info on original bols that only a local biller would know about. are imaging is also available the next day for viewing by the customer.

You are right ! No matter how much I try to do a quick eyeball of the B/L's , before I scan them, There is always something amiss here and there, and too often. I can't tell, just by looking , if this bill will scan too dark or too light, for example....

And keep in mind... India is not only in a different time zone, it's a day "early or later" than we are ....

Let's not forget the time zones. In the East Coast I will scan bills at say, starting at 6pm. In Toledo, Oh,( an hour behind maybe?--I don't know) and definately, Seattle, 3 hours behind, they can scan the whole East Coast, at 3pm , their time, and then start billing the West Coast at 6pm, after the East Coast is all done.....

Well here is how it works on the Roadway billing end. The billing center has about 40 terminals it bills for. They get the scanned bol and type the info into the mainframe. They are supposed to have a turn around time of 15 minutes for the whole trailer. Weird thing here is Toledo, OH is hiring billing clerks/asd assistants. Check the Roadway website, PA is hiring casuals too?

What billing center are you referring to when you say they have about 40 termianls to bill for. Is it Toledo,Oh? Y or R ?

I find this kinda ironic, cuz I got a call tonight from a biller in TOLEDO, with a billing question/problem. I was kinda dunmbfounded, because my RSAD, is still working for the next two weeks, I think ... I asked her for a pro number. She said 931-000000-0... I said that's Hawaii,--- but it could be me--- We often have containers to Hawaii, and it doesn't go thru us here at all, but it's ours..... I will know better tomorrow, when I check the report that tells me what BL's are missing in imaging..... (Bills missing in image happen, cuz there is no bar code, or the scanner didn't read it, cuz of some problem. ( We've all had this at the grocery store, etc.) And sometimes it means the BL never passed thru here in the first place, to get to image....

I find this kinda ironic, cuz I got a call tonight from a biller in TOLEDO, with a billing question/problem. I was kinda dunmbfounded, because my RSAD, is still working for the next two weeks, I think ... I asked her for a pro number. She said 931-000000-0... I said that's Hawaii,---

coulda been Memphis too.... Toledo does their bills. Remember the first 3 digits don't mean a terminal number, just a number.

coulda been Memphis too.... Toledo does their bills. Remember the first 3 digits don't mean a terminal number, just a number.

No, see....

The first three numbers DOES mean the TERMINAL...... It's NOT just a number, for Yellow OR Roadway... For Roadway, the first 3 numbers ARE DEFINATELY the terminal number/name. For Yellow, the Terminal name is ALPHA, but the first 3 numbers are ALWAYS ASSIGNED to that same terminal....

You didn't answer my question very well.... Perhaps you worked for CF, in which case the terminal was Alpha, and the bills were "routed by zip code" ( all alpha codes), and the 1st 3 numbers of the pro were assigned to that terminal, but not always the same 1st 3 pro numbers. Their pros, also had no "check digit"... Just 9 numbers 000-000000, and you could easily figure out the sequence.... (pro before it, pro after it ) It went by 11's...which in the Email I got about the new pros, talks about changing the pros to the "11's formula."

certain numbers in Arithmetic, general math, have some "funny" things about them . 9 & 11, are two of these numbers. When I was a high school teacher, ( 6-12 grade ), I also tutored middle school kids who were having trouble in math. I taught these kids "how to cheat". It's not really cheating, it's just understanding the numbers to make it easier for you to learn. They went from failing to an A real quick.....

The number 9. Anything multiplied by nine, the answer will equal 9. 9x3=27. (minus one, the number that is not 9). 3-1 = 2. 2 + ? = 9 ? answer 7. answer= 27.... try it !

9 x 55 = 495..see the pattern?

The number 11. ( after 11 x 9 ) plus one. 11 x 12 = 132. 1 + 2 = 3. and put it in the middle..try it !

11 x 44 = 484. see the pattern?

It's the "magic of numbers".....

What great ANALyst did we hire to figure this one out.... The analyist probably went home and asked his aging Mother, and she told him the secret of the numbers.....

And this will reduce billing errors , when it comes to the pro numbers.... This is just how numbers work..... and it makes sense..at least to me....

Thanks for the quick math lesson Bluemule. Always good to learn something new.
Does the RSAD center need notify the terminal when a trailer is billed?
How about inbound (advance receiving) for tradeshows. We bill dead-head bills for expo freight just for bill credit. Is this done at RSAD sites also?

The 931 in the pro number is Memphis, they often have 431 or 931 pro numbers. The Toledo, OH RASD site is Roadway. They bill for about 40 Roadway terminals all over the country.

As for the RASD center notifying the terminals when they are billed. Nope. They bill them and then the waybills are printed at the terminals. They just pump out the info at the RASD site. They bill tradeshows, dead-head, etc. They don't do any free astray though.

The 931 in the pro number is Memphis, they often have 431 or 931 pro numbers. The Toledo, OH RASD site is Roadway. They bill for about 40 Roadway terminals all over the country.

Thanks for the info. Is Memphis a Roadway or a Yellow Terminal with these numbers? Our EOL's are so small of a place, we probably "never run out " of pros that start with the same 1st 3 numbers..... We do get 900 pros, but these are always on the DR's and it tells us this came from Yellow or Holland at the Orig.

I got an Email today telling me from now on to send my "critical shipment list " ( RFA ) to 385. Minneapolis/St. Paul , Mn. After next week, I would say this will be my new "central billing site " -RASD place.

Does the RSAD center need notify the terminal when a trailer is billed?
How about inbound (advance receiving) for tradeshows. We bill dead-head bills for expo freight just for bill credit. Is this done at RSAD sites also?

Depends.... if the station is large, like Milwaukee, they work their freight OB with waybills, so yes, they need to know when a trailer is done.

Smaller stations.... only need to be billed before the freight arrives at the next breakbulk

Thanks for the info. Is Memphis a Roadway or a Yellow Terminal with these numbers? We do get 900 pros, but these are always on the DR's and it tells us this came from Yellow or Holland at the Orig.

Roadway Memphis.... watch your incoming shipments, you will see Dallas with 911 pros, Atlanta with 410 pros, etc.

Also, 900 pros don't always mean an interline shipment, some customers have blocks of 900 pros, like Non Stop Delivery.

As for numbers, Roadway figured the check digit on mod-11 calculation. It was based on first 9 digits of the pro, and the 10th was the check digit.

YFSY used mod 11, but only on the last 6 digits of the pro, not all 9. Ignore the first 3 digits, do calculation on next 6, create the check digit.

To make computer systems compatible, pro number calculation had to change, and since Yellow bought Roadway and USF, Yellow method won out.

Also, now some terminals have to change prefix... Yellow 120 is Pittsburg, and Roadway is Stroudsburg. So not to confuse the database and customer base, someone's gotta change.

And the first 3 digits haven't mattered since 2001. Any terminal can use any pro number to ship, as many corporate customers generate pros for their whse's from the corp office. All their shipments nationwide can use the same first 3 digits. That way they can pre-assign pros at order entry, rather than after pickup.

Bluemule, I appreciate the math lesson, you probably also know the rule for squaring 5's. That was my favorite. The rule of 9's came in especially helpful when finding transposed numbers in a long list on an adding machine tape.

Check this out.... next command ASDI on a Roadway pro.
Top line, next to the GR... see the origin field? THAT is the origin terminal, and is the key to figure out where freight originated, not the first 3 digits of the pro.

As for the RASD center notifying the terminals when they are billed. Nope. They bill them and then the waybills are printed at the terminals. They just pump out the info at the RASD site. They bill tradeshows, dead-head, etc. They don't do any free astray though.

This is true at my EOL also. RSAD just puts in the info. My O/B goes up the road anyway, and most of the bills on this trailer are not yet billed. But, by the time it arrives to the BB, ,they are, and the dock pulls the bills.... At Roadway EOl, the Road, and I are working on "blind faith".... I say the trailer is loaded and they say, she says it's loaded. It's closed, and this is the weight, and this is the number of bills on it. What exactly is on it, the dock will know, when my trailer arrives, cuz the bills are billed by then.

And this "blind faith" has been working, since I got here, and they did the same thing at CF, when I worked there too. Freight moved anyway, whether it had been billed or not. At least until it got to a BB....

Roadway Memphis.... watch your incoming shipments, you will see Dallas with 911 pros, Atlanta with 410 pros, etc.

Also, 900 pros don't always mean an interline shipment, some customers have blocks of 900 pros, like Non Stop Delivery.

As for numbers, Roadway figured the check digit on mod-11 calculation. It was based on first 9 digits of the pro, and the 10th was the check digit.

YFSY used mod 11, but only on the last 6 digits of the pro, not all 9. Ignore the first 3 digits, do calculation on next 6, create the check digit.

To make computer systems compatible, pro number calculation had to change, and since Yellow bought Roadway and USF, Yellow method won out.

Also, now some terminals have to change prefix... Yellow 120 is Pittsburg, and Roadway is Stroudsburg. So not to confuse the database and customer base, someone's gotta change.

And the first 3 digits haven't mattered since 2001. Any terminal can use any pro number to ship, as many corporate customers generate pros for their whse's from the corp office. All their shipments nationwide can use the same first 3 digits. That way they can pre-assign pros at order entry, rather than after pickup.

Bluemule, I appreciate the math lesson, you probably also know the rule for squaring 5's. That was my favorite. The rule of 9's came in especially helpful when finding transposed numbers in a long list on an adding machine tape.

Check this out.... next command ASDI on a Roadway pro.
Top line, next to the GR... see the origin field? THAT is the origin terminal, and is the key to figure out where freight originated, not the first 3 digits of the pro.

HOLEY COW ! That was a lot of info all at once...

I will check out ASDI tomorrow, that is if I have access to it.... sounds like maybe I will...

As far as the workers go, and do not play with the monitor, they always knew what they were doing, based on what they saw, and it was NOT on a computer monitor.... And I understand how they always have worked....

Thank goodness, my men trust what I am telling them, cuz they don't go by the monitor, or the management... and I take the time to explain to them the reason why......and I can do this in a small terminal....... I don't sell them short... because they know what they are doing also.... I give them credit for that....

We have Non-Stop also, guess I'll have to take a closer look on these as well.....

You have given me some useful info here.... and maybe on how to advise my men from now on....