FedEx Freight | Be extra cautious now-day's

Oldernwiser

TB Lurker
Credits
A excellent road driver was let go for laying over the rear box after spinning around coming off a bridge that was iced over. No injuries or anyone else involved and he had NOTHING on his record. All of the sup's at the hubs where he worked the dock all said his work ethic was among the best on their dock.

With the new policy they now will terminate you for a preventable if they see fit regardless if it's your first ever or not, or your excellent work history or not. So be extra careful out there or just shut down and not take any chances if conditions warrent. rather then lose your job. Better to be safe then sorry with the way corperate is operating these days.

Look out for yourselves!

I find this hard to believe as we are short drivers and if he had an excellent record he would have been given a second chance. IF HE WAS LET GO there had to be some other circumstance or other reason. With all the changes going on it is not good to spread some rumors as some drivers are very uneasy at the moment.

I don't know the circumstances of this incident but, I can tell you from my own experiences that what you say in the statements given to law enforcement and the Safety dept. had better match the recording of your trip by the VORAD. No the cruise control was not engaged when I lost traction. i have had several incidents that could have hung me... won't run the cruise at all if there is ANY chance of it being slick. Rain,Snow, rutted up pavement, and the likes.

I don't know the circumstances of this incident but, I can tell you from my own experiences that what you say in the statements given to law enforcement and the Safety dept. had better match the recording of your trip by the VORAD. No the cruise control was not engaged when I lost traction. i have had several incidents that could have hung me... won't run the cruise at all if there is ANY chance of it being slick. Rain,Snow, rutted up pavement, and the likes.

That's the best way to do it. Just an FYI for those not familiar, the cruise control does instantly dis-engage if the drive wheels lose traction.:coffee1:

The story is real and factual with one omission I might add.... He swerved to avoid a collision with a deer rather than blow it up. We all know the off the record policy on these types of incidences . Strike to kill and don't swerve.
But you should also be aware that we now don't have a driver shortage and they can and will fire you at their discretion whether it's your 1st or 3rd incident.

I find this hard to believe as we are short drivers and if he had an excellent record he would have been given a second chance. IF HE WAS LET GO there had to be some other circumstance or other reason. With all the changes going on it is not good to spread some rumors as some drivers are very uneasy at the moment.

This is FedEx they need no reason

Oldernwiser brings up an important point. We are driving under winter conditions. A momentary distraction can ruin your day, and you can find yourself on the outside looking in. Under adverse weather conditions leave yourself some extra room. I realize this is sometimes easer said than done. Before the merger we have an excess of drivers, and freight is slow right now so they won't hesitate to send you down the road.

sounds strange to me. We had a guy put it in the ditch cause he lost control from sneezing. Another turned over atleast 2 loads before getting fired. I've also never heard of an "exellent" road driver swerve for a dear, nobody ever believes that

sounds strange to me. We had a guy put it in the ditch cause he lost control from sneezing. Another turned over atleast 2 loads before getting fired. I've also never heard of an "exellent" road driver swerve for a dear, nobody ever believes that

Your right driver. It wasn't a "DEAR" :-)

Thats because you guys still go 45 to 55 on ice. I was on that stretch of road last week and we are all in the slow lane doing about 35 and here comes two Freight guys going faster than conditions called for.(and they weren't with each other neither) Every bridge had a accident with emergency vehicles. So after the merge they can kiss my butt if they want it that quick. Nothing in them trailers is worth my job a someones life.

I don't know fedex safety regs. or driver exspectations for drivers.but my moto is if it's snows I don't go.they call me snowflake in cincy this time of year

Thats because you guys still go 45 to 55 on ice. I was on that stretch of road last week and we are all in the slow lane doing about 35 and here comes two Freight guys going faster than conditions called for.(and they weren't with each other neither) Every bridge had a accident with emergency vehicles. So after the merge they can kiss my butt if they want it that quick. Nothing in them trailers is worth my job a someones life.
very very true driver

Just some clarification.
First off this was apparently not the same driver as it was not deer related in any way.
I also said he was let go, not quite the case but may as well be. What they are doing is disqualifying drivers for a 3 year period. Of course they out of the kindness of their heart offer you dock work at your center if available.....
Last night I asked about him to another driver that knows him well and this driver also said there have been 4 others recently delt with in this same fashion and a couple even though equipment had no damage after putiing their trucks in the median.

Read the new policy if you have not seen it. There is no policy regarding numbers of incidents anymore apparently from what I take of it. First or whatever, does not matter. It apparently matters none to the Saftey guy in Harrison what his record of employment is. They are very willing to just replace experienced drivers with any seat warmer that is qualified it appears.

Rumor out of RKI last night that a SBN driver lost a pup last night as well so best of luck to him.

Be safe, and pull over if you feel conditions warrent it as with this new policy there is NO reason to chance losing your job over inclement weather conditions.

A excellent road driver was let go for laying over the rear box after spinning around coming off a bridge that was iced over. No injuries or anyone else involved and he had NOTHING on his record. All of the sup's at the hubs where he worked the dock all said his work ethic was among the best on their dock.

With the new policy they now will terminate you for a preventable if they see fit regardless if it's your first ever or not, or your excellent work history or not. So be extra careful out there or just shut down and not take any chances if conditions warrent. rather then lose your job. Better to be safe then sorry with the way corperate is operating these days.

Look out for yourselves!

My barn had a driver lay over his rear box last nonth, it was deemed his fault, DOT reportable, PREVENTABLE. He was hot dogging it racing another driver to a freeway on ramp and layed his rear box over. He has a clean record with the company, but he is still driving, now going to be #5 on the road board. Conditions were dry roads. It's Southern California so we do not get ice down here in the low lands, if we do it's some sort of freak thing.
The new FedEx motto should be:
Roll a trailer, get promoted!

This driver is also known by all the other drivers as an "aggressive driver" meaning we always see him driving fast inside the yard, pulling out the gate like a bat out of hell, and speeding while on the road and driving aggressively.

So, this tells you there is a serious problem within the FedEx system with the way management handles things. Favoritism is my first guess, as this driver has been with the company for about 15 years starting out as a dock worker with Watkins and now a City driver for about 2 years doing local hub shuttles at night and transferring to road once we become FXF in January.

I like the guy personally, he is really a nice dude, and I don't want to see him get fired, but my curiosity has peaked as to why things like this happen and you hear these types of stories around the country. There is NO consistency in the way FedEx handles things when it comes to accidents and discipline. I was just told they take it on a case by case basis. I said maybe they just need to put training wheels on the rear trailers for the rookie drivers.

It is SO frustrating that things cannot be handled in a consistent manner. I know it will never be perfect, but some sort of consistency would be nice.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always noticed if you roll just the back trailer you typically keep your job. Roll more than that and see you later. Also when I went through class 6.5 years ago I was told even one accident can cause you to loose your job.

I back it down to what the conditions and traffic require. But it's not uncommon to do 55-60 when it's snowing. Ice I typically have done a steady 45 or go to the hotel. If your out of IND you can't be scared of snow or ice because we don't shut down if the roads are open.

Union

Look out for yourselves!

I will never understand why you guys take this bullshit? I know a few fed-x drivers and they are great guys to say the least, When I back into my stop and see a fed-x truck I always thank god it's not me, I know not every company needs a union but you guys get kicked in the balls every day, this poor driver had a harm less flip over,
if I understand it right as per the post here it said nobody got hurt, why then did they boot the driver out the door? I will be the first to tell you as a union driver, I'm sure I would get some time off for a roll over and rightfully so, but I will tell you all I'm sure as hell I would still have a job. This company treats you guys like dogs. Every driver knows that ::shit:: happens, we drive in all kinds of weather and 99% of the time we are there for the company to get paid so what the hell is wrong with fed-x? You guys really need the Union, This company will never change Fred Smith thinks you are lucky to be working for him, this guy has no end to his hate for the working man, it's all about him and his company.

Go lay down teamsterjoe. You are only reading one side of the story. As it's been said, there's 3 sides to every story; his, theirs and the truth.

I haven't been kicked in the balls by this mean old Fred. I've made a good living from him.

Guardrail