FedEx Freight | Big Brother IS Watching (always?)

I’ve been told the cameras are recording 24/7 truck on or off doesn’t matter. Now they could just be saying this to keep us in check at all times but I just go with knowing big brother is always watching, your on a camera somewhere it seems 99% of the time anymore.

FedEx Express has started putting driver facing cameras in their big trucks. My friend drives for ground and claims they have also got the contractors putting them in their trucks. Are we next? If so will they crack down on cell phone use? I use my headset most the night communicating to other drivers and just as a tool to help stay alert and awake.

FedEx Express has started putting driver facing cameras in their big trucks. My friend drives for ground and claims they have also got the contractors putting them in their trucks. Are we next? If so will they crack down on cell phone use? I use my headset most the night communicating to other drivers and just as a tool to help stay alert and awake.

I saw some pictures of these going into Express units.

I would assume that we will be next. It has been SAIA’s argument for years, in defense of their policy, that all LTL carriers will be getting driver facing cameras.

Are we next? If so will they crack down on cell phone use? I use my headset most the night communicating to other drivers and just as a tool to help stay alert and awake.

Valid & important topic. Policy vs legal vs safety. Would love to see a study on the effect of road drivers NOT having communications, and it's effect on fatigue. Especially after being used to talking (hands free) most of the night/day.

I don't see any need for a city driver to be riding around on the phone. But a road driver? Perhaps the case can be made.

Does anyone still use a CB? If so, is there much chatter still out there?

Valid & important topic. Policy vs legal vs safety. Would love to see a study on the effect of road drivers NOT having communications, and it's effect on fatigue. Especially after being used to talking (hands free) most of the night/day.

I don't see any need for a city driver to be riding around on the phone. But a road driver? Perhaps the case can be made.

CB is hit or miss. But may be worth the investment if we get cameras if you don't have one. When I was a city driver i would frequently call customers, make sure I was in and out. On the road if we lose the communication, when there's an accident I'll be driving blind right into it. Now, I drive around when someone ahead let's me know its backed up, if that changes I'm driving in to it getting the delay pay, screw service. If I set there all night so be it.

Translation from company " Even though we are supposedly struggling with the global economy and such we found millions of dollars to waste on useless electronics. We could spend that money on the front line folks who put this company in a position to succeed, but why would we do that"

CB is hit or miss. But may be worth the investment if we get cameras if you don't have one. When I was a city driver i would frequently call customers, make sure I was in and out. On the road if we lose the communication, when there's an accident I'll be driving blind right into it. Now, I drive around when someone ahead let's me know its backed up, if that changes I'm driving in to it getting the delay pay, screw service. If I set there all night so be it.
After mass coaching sessions for going around traffic, it gets there when I gets there.

I'm 99% sure we are next.. if a Union company is starting to get them I don't see any issues on us getting them..... not even the union can keep these fu***** cameras away.....

I'm 99% sure we are next.. if a Union company is starting to get them I don't see any issues on us getting them..... not even the union can keep these fu***** cameras away.....
If the insurance companies make this a condition for having coverage, it won't matter wether or not you're union, they will happen.

I think this might be wrong. YRC’s new contract has language totally prohibiting the installation of inward facing cameras along with other protections from using cameras for disciplinary purposes. ABF drivers have already started filing grievances for the cameras they are getting. Also if what I hear is true, Stockton can cover up their cameras.

IMvgbVL.jpg

KuatDjz.jpg

Last edited:

I run to NNW and back every night on a HTURN. That CB has been a lifesaver, and the closer I get to the CT/NY stateline and deeper into NY, the more active that CB becomes.

Amazingly, the most consistent cases of "I ain't got no panties on" happen nowhere near NYC, but in and around that area, 90% (rough estimate obviously) is filled with drivers giving heads up to things down the road, giving verbal "go aheads" to merge etc.

It is actually kind of refreshing...

I run to NNW and back every night on a HTURN. That CB has been a lifesaver, and the closer I get to the CT/NY stateline and deeper into NY, the more active that CB becomes.

Amazingly, the most consistent cases of "I ain't got no panties on" happen nowhere near NYC, but in and around that area, 90% (rough estimate obviously) is filled with drivers giving heads up to things down the road, giving verbal "go aheads" to merge etc.

It is actually kind of refreshing...

But what ever happened to “midnight cowboy” and “the world famous: midnight midnight midnight midnight”.

The carriers are making BS excuses for their camera programs.

Not one of TFI's carriers, to my knowledge, uses cameras of any kind. This includes the LTL guys at TST Overland Express, Canadian Freightways and Vitran. The courier guys at Canpar and Loomis Express. As well as the vast truckload operations. I don't have a camera in my truck and Highland has never expressed interest in them.

Also, US Customs and Border Protection do not like these cameras and they must be covered by law for security reasons before you approach a CBP facility.