ABF | Breakbulk poaching city drivers

GO40

TB Legend
Credits
Were adding another UE driver to run Carlisle. When they get down there they are allowed to work any freight they want not just their own, from my understanding they will be on the dock for 5+ hours then return with freight for the following day. This all stems from Carlisle unable to hire so now city operations will suffer from losing their own drivers for this run. News flash ABF it’s not a people shortage it’s a money shortage, maybe it’s time to open the contract & bump up the pay….

Were adding another UE driver to run Carlisle. When they get down there they are allowed to work any freight they want not just their own, from my understanding they will be on the dock for 5+ hours then return with freight for the following day. This all stems from Carlisle unable to hire so now city operations will suffer from losing their own drivers for this run. News flash ABF it’s not a people shortage it’s a money shortage, maybe it’s time to open the contract & bump up the pay….
From my understanding UE can only work UE freight according to the contract at their home terminal. I could be wrong

Yeah I asked last week on info table about giving us some more bread. No response.

From my understanding UE can only work UE freight according to the contract at their home terminal. I could be wrong
A UE driver can perform all local cartage functions at their home terminal. At away terminals, they can only perform Utility-related Dock work and hostling drops/hooks on their own equipment. So, if they are working all freight at Carlisle, then someone in Carlisle is being violated. Article 3, Section 7, page 22.

A UE driver can perform all local cartage functions at their home terminal. At away terminals, they can only perform Utility-related Dock work and hostling drops/hooks on their own equipment. So, if they are working all freight at Carlisle, then someone in Carlisle is being violated. Article 3, Section 7, page 22.
I actually heard through the grapevine that its true...they want to do this (basically make them traveling dock workers) with some of the UE drivers...wonder if they will pay them like traveling nurses? LMAO

I remember being violated in Carlisle, back in the 70’s, when I was an owner operator. But I wasn’t working the dock.

I remember being violated in Carlisle, back in the 70’s, when I was an owner operator. But I wasn’t working the dock.
deliverance GIF

That sure is a purdy bag you got on there….

I ran UE to Carlisle for about 8-9 years before changing and going to new haven. Every time they wanted us to work a trailer with our stuff on, you just found a steward. Unless the trailer was all UE freight it was a no touch.

I ran UE to Carlisle for about 8-9 years before changing and going to new haven. Every time they wanted us to work a trailer with our stuff on, you just found a steward. Unless the trailer was all UE freight it was a no touch.
If a trailer had hv freight for your terminal you could try to dig it out. If it got too ugly you just walked away.

If a trailer had hv freight for your terminal you could try to dig it out. If it got too ugly you just walked away.
Yes you could, but I on the other hand in those cases, always waited till the dock worker assigned the trailer got there. I then asked if he would mind if I looked for it. Sometimes yes, sometimes no, but every time we both went away with respect for each other.

Thank you for clarifying that, SOTR. Check me if I’m wrong, but wasn’t the UE originally set up to work the ‘High Velocity Express’ (HVXP) freight brought into the BB’s from the EOL’s? We had 4 UE’s arriving at our BB each weeknight. Total of 9 trailers brought in by the UE’s every night so all of us just ‘attacked’ those trailers. Didn’t matter where the trailer came from, if it was brought in by UE’s then it got worked by UE’s. Good system. One fellow usually ran short of hours on Friday nights so he was basically a turn-and-burn, but we got it done.

Yes you could, but I on the other hand in those cases, always waited till the dock worker assigned the trailer got there. I then asked if he would mind if I looked for it. Sometimes yes, sometimes no, but every time we both went away with respect for each other.
As it should be. I always asked the dock guy assigned to that trailer if he’d like some help….this is even AFTER the dock manager told me to “go down to door 138 and help so-and-so”….9 times out of 10 he said: “Sure! If you wanna peel dunnage, I’ll scoop the freight!” Rarely had a guy turn down help from a UE. Technically, a ‘violation’ but after 45-50 hours already logged in by Thursday nights, they were eager to get it all stripped.

Thank you for clarifying that, SOTR. Check me if I’m wrong, but wasn’t the UE originally set up to work the ‘High Velocity Express’ (HVXP) freight brought into the BB’s from the EOL’s? We had 4 UE’s arriving at our BB each weeknight. Total of 9 trailers brought in by the UE’s every night so all of us just ‘attacked’ those trailers. Didn’t matter where the trailer came from, if it was brought in by UE’s then it got worked by UE’s. Good system. One fellow usually ran short of hours on Friday nights so he was basically a turn-and-burn, but we got it done.
Yes it was, but back then I think it was called “RPM”. Regional Performance Model. At least that is what I think it was called if my memory is correct.

Yes it was, but back then I think it was called “RPM”. Regional Performance Model. At least that is what I think it was called if my memory is correct.
Also, back when the RPM program started, the pay scale was different. Instead of the $1.00 per hour premium, they paid an hourly/mileage combination. If I remember correctly, if you worked under 11 hours a day, the hourly/mileage combo paid more. But if you worked over the 11 hour mark, you made more without the mileage pay due to the time-and-one-half of overtime pay after 8 hours. Also, when the RPM program originally started, it was only to be used to exchange "next day freight" only. It did not take long for the union and the company to agree to change that to "two day freight". There have been so many changes to the original RPM program that I cannot keep up with it anymore.