XPO | C-days

HMMM!!!...You may be onto something here.

Lets see....not enough work for everybody...

Ummm!!!...don't allow the top of the heap people to take cc days...bottom people don't get to work.

(Stay with me here it only gets better!)

Bottom feeders get PO'd and quit...after all they have bills to pay and families to take care too!

And VOILA!!!...eliminate or reduce the number of necessary lay-offs...thereby reducing the amount being drawn off the company's unemployment insurance account.

VOILA!!!...significantly reduce the public reckoning and reporting of lay-offs and ECO terms giving the perception of strength and stability (afterall we "must" maintian the image!)

VOILA!!!...once again all is good in the "Land of the Blue Tablecloth"

Rat :loser:

This same policy has been utilized at some CNW
SC's FOREVER .

Just4Thought

HMMM!!!...You may be onto something here.

Lets see....not enough work for everybody...

Ummm!!!...don't allow the top of the heap people to take cc days...bottom people don't get to work.

(Stay with me here it only gets better!)

Bottom feeders get PO'd and quit...after all they have bills to pay and families to take care too!

And VOILA!!!...eliminate or reduce the number of necessary lay-offs...thereby reducing the amount being drawn off the company's unemployment insurance account.

VOILA!!!...significantly reduce the public reckoning and reporting of lay-offs and ECO terms giving the perception of strength and stability (afterall we "must" maintian the image!)

VOILA!!!...once again all is good in the "Land of the Blue Tablecloth"

Hmmmm.....you may be right...

Let's see, not enough work for everybody

Ummmm, Let's allow the top of the heap to take CC days, and sit home while we pay their benefits, and let the bottom people work as we pay their benefits too..!! Isn't this fun..?? Stay with me here, it only gets better...

Lower seniority folks are let go because THERE ISN'T ENOUGH WORK FOR EVERYONE, sorry, that IS the harsh reality of our world right now..Maybe we should let the senior people go instead...No, can't do that....against the rules, and they have spent alot more time with the company..They have earned the right to continue working...However, the "bottom feeders" will be able to collect unemployment, after all, IT IS THEIR MONEY, THEY PAY INTO IT...

And Voila!!! By not paying 44 dollars an hour to have someone sit home, and instead pay them 33 dollars an hour to work, maybe, just maybe, we will keep costs trimmed enough that the remaining group of us will have a future...

And then we will have our CEO tell the BB&T conference during the second week of February that we have had to layoff a significant number of people beyond the 1450 in December because the economy continues to worsen beyond anybody's forecast...This goes right along side the rest in our industry who are at the conference and share the same news...Hard to worry about image when you are facing a harsh reality..

And Voila..!!! We and the rest of the people at Con-way live to fight another day, but certainly, not all is well...all about survival now..

However, the "bottom feeders" will be able to collect unemployment, after all, IT IS THEIR MONEY, THEY PAY INTO IT...

Tell that to the bottom feeder who has children to feed and bills to pay and has no idea in hell where the next paycheck is coming from...

No one is paying anyone $44 an hour to stay home...that is just so much BS...You benefits are paid on the hours you work. Your insurance is based on projections using a cost/benefit analysis and factored in the total labor cost for the coming fiscal year IE...fixed cost per employee. Company contributions to the 401K are based upon earnings...

So how in the hell are we paying $44 an hour for people to take a cc day so someone else who may not be working very many hours may have a chance at keeping their livelihood and sleeping a little better at night.

I don't know how the unemployment insurance works in CA...but in my state the companies pay into the plan....a certain amount per employee and capped when the maximum per employee is attained. The employees pay nothing into the program...it is a CODB.

It is freaking stunning that a company of this size and magnitude is so callous towards the individuals who work for them. It seems we are only worth anything when it benefits the numbers of the almighty crystal palace...

Living the dream is nothing more than corporate BS...

Con-Way is nothing more (and heretofore never will be more) than just another LTL carrier amongst so many others.

This ain't nothing special...just another freaking job with another freaking company.

Its real easy to say thats the way it is when your postion is not threatened as dictated by the economy. Its altogether different when your setting in the hotseat wondering what the next Monday morning communication meeting is going to shove up your @ss! Then have to go home and tell your family..."your world as you have known it is gone!!!"

Tell that to the bottom feeder who has children to feed and bills to pay and has no idea in hell where the next paycheck is coming from...

No one is paying anyone $44 an hour to stay home...that is just so much BS...You benefits are paid on the hours you work. Your insurance is based on projections using a cost/benefit analysis and factored in the total labor cost for the coming fiscal year IE...fixed cost per employee. Company contributions to the 401K are based upon earnings...

So how in the hell are we paying $44 an hour for people to take a cc day so someone else who may not be working very many hours may have a chance at keeping their livelihood and sleeping a little better at night.

I don't know how the unemployment insurance works in CA...but in my state the companies pay into the plan....a certain amount per employee and capped when the maximum per employee is attained. The employees pay nothing into the program...it is a CODB.

It is freaking stunning that a company of this size and magnitude is so callous towards the individuals who work for them. It seems we are only worth anything when it benefits the numbers of the almighty crystal palace...

Living the dream is nothing more than corporate BS...

Con-Way is nothing more (and heretofore never will be more) than just another LTL carrier amongst so many others.

This ain't nothing special...just another freaking job with another freaking company.

Its real easy to say thats the way it is when your postion is not threatened as dictated by the economy. Its altogether different when your setting in the hotseat wondering what the next Monday morning communication meeting is going to shove up your @ss! Then have to go home and tell your family..."your world as you have known it is gone!!!"

Your benefits premiums are paid monthly as long as you are an active employee...so the prorated benefits rate figures out at roughly 11.00 an hour based on 160 hours monthly..So when a guy CCs, his benefits are being paid all the while...
There isn't a single good thing about laying somebody off, it is the saddest, hardest thing a manager has to do...It represents an inability to keep enough business on board to keep everyone working..most managers I know see that as self failure, even when it really isn't...and especially now, with an ever-shrinking economy, you are left feeling pretty helpless..
The only possible upside to laying someone off is they get a chance to receive steady unemployment pay, which is better than 1-2 days a week then waiting by the phone..

Your benefits premiums are paid monthly as long as you are an active employee...so the prorated benefits rate figures out at roughly 11.00 an hour based on 160 hours monthly..So when a guy CCs, his benefits are being paid all the while...
There isn't a single good thing about laying somebody off, it is the saddest, hardest thing a manager has to do...It represents an inability to keep enough business on board to keep everyone working..most managers I know see that as self failure, even when it really isn't...and especially now, with an ever-shrinking economy, you are left feeling pretty helpless..
The only possible upside to laying someone off is they get a chance to receive steady unemployment pay, which is better than 1-2 days a week then waiting by the phone..

I would like to add, that after having spoken to all of those layed off at our place, that, they each were o.k., with that outcome. All of them knew they were in jeopardy, but, while still working here, were reluctant to actively begin the "search for something else" process. They each said, that it was good to have the un-employment benefits in place, while searching for a new endeavor. Now........the Economically terminated employees that came first, those people aren't real happy with that whole thing........

How did we go from $44.00/hr to $11.00/hr

You pay a guy 33.56 per hour w/ benefits to work, and another guy cc 11+ for benefits to sit home...

If there is enough freight to keep both drivers in an active employed status then the 11+ number is a wash as it is being paid anyways. The guy at home, regardless of his seniority, is getting the 11+.

Now, it can make a difference who is sitting home concerning the 33.56 number which decreases if the senior guy (5 yr+) stays home and the junior guy (less then full rate) works. Viola! There's a cost savings.

Or maybe they don't care about the little things anymore.

I think Rodney King said it best years ago.

Can't we all just get a loan.....Or was that get along....I don't remember:duh:

Only problem with a "loan", is that usually, the party giving you the loan, expects you to pay it back eventually.........along with interest.....

Only way to stay out of debt trouble, is not to borrow money.

At all.

Ever.

Only problem with a "loan", is that usually, the party giving you the loan, expects you to pay it back eventually.........along with interest.....

Only way to stay out of debt trouble, is not to borrow money.

At all.

Ever.

Surely this post must be sarcasim .

According to our governments , our companies , and the majority of our fellow man , you and I
must be wrong in living this way .

Just4Thuoght

Got a good one for you:

A few years back before Katrina but after the major hurricanes in Florida, my insurance company on the house sent us a notice that our ins. rate was going up $400 for year due to the fact that we had NO REVOLVING CREDIT.

We dropped them and got someone else that gives better coverage for less money. Way less. Now let them come up with some excuse on how to pay for the damages in Florida WITHOUT our premiums. HA! :loser:
BTW, we paid our insurance on time just like clockwork.

Perhaps.....

But, I do live that way.....

have for some time now......

Congress should give it a try, does wonders for your sanity.

(should you have any left that is.)...

Got a good one for you:

A few years back before Katrina but after the major hurricanes in Florida, my insurance company on the house sent us a notice that our ins. rate was going up $400 for year due to the fact that we had NO REVOLVING CREDIT.

We dropped them and got someone else that gives better coverage for less money. Way less. Now let them come up with some excuse on how to pay for the damages in Florida WITHOUT our premiums. HA! :loser:
BTW, we paid our insurance on time just like clockwork.

I am afraid a large number of insurance companies; home, auto etc. are using Fico score as a major determinate of rates. If you have a low Fico, you are going to pay more for insurance. Since I don't borrow money, I have a low Fico, so my rates are higher than someone who carries a large amount of debt. Stupid way to do business, but, another sign of the times.
:bowdown:Fico Score :bowdown: