ABF | Camera ?

They were touted as fuel savers but in studies by the folks at ATRI, modern low profile duals match or exceed mileage rates of the wide singles. They only real benefit is weight savings which is one reason tankers gravitate to them. I've seen first hand the carnage that CAN happen when a wide single blows in a heavily laden commercial vehicle. The guy almost lost it and the gouged pavement and destroyed rim made my mind up for me. Granted that doesn't happen with every super single blow out, but I've yet to see a dual blow out and have the rim hit the pavement. Lots of opinions out there, but I will not operate one equipped with them. Glad I only have about 15 years left in this industry. They're taking all the fun right out of it and super singles for me is just one more straw on the camels back.

I had always heard, if you lose both wheels on a pup, it would dig in the pavement, I ran the lugs off the 8 lug Budd type on rear pup lost both wheels, yet the drum never touched the pavement.
This was spring equipped trailer, not air ride.

From what I understand.....super-singles were designed for tandem axle operations.......
And,....once again, the bean-counters ......who couldn’t tell a glad hand from a gearshift two tries out of three....
.....said: “ Let’s put’em on everything...it’s a tire and that’s a truck...”

So now, if you have a set of pups with super-singles,....and you have a blowout due to a road hazard......
......You don’t get that tiny little.....second chance.....to keep your set upright......You got to trust to sheer luck.......because you’re missing a whole side now on the blowout axle.....

And why doesn’t....management....see that?
The “Sergeant Schultz” effect........”I see NOTHING! NOTHING!””

If the trailer has TPMs/central tire inflation system , that is a white LED indicator alerting you to a leak in the air system or low air pressure .
Same thing, on the new Saia trailers. It's a tire low air pressure indicator light. Saia's looks different but basically works the same. No camera.

From what I understand.....super-singles were designed for tandem axle operations.......
And,....once again, the bean-counters ......who couldn’t tell a glad hand from a gearshift two tries out of three....
.....said: “ Let’s put’em on everything...it’s a tire and that’s a truck...”

So now, if you have a set of pups with super-singles,....and you have a blowout due to a road hazard......
......You don’t get that tiny little.....second chance.....to keep your set upright......You got to trust to sheer luck.......because you’re missing a whole side now on the blowout axle.....

And why doesn’t....management....see that?
The “Sergeant Schultz” effect........”I see NOTHING! NOTHING!””
Canary, I'm not picking on you brother but you post such inflammatory untruths. Way off in left field to the point it boggles the mind! But some individuals eat it up because you are the second coming of Jimmy Hoffa sr.

Tiny little second chance to keep your set upright? What are you talking about? Quick poll......how many times has anyone, absolutely anyone, had a flat tire on a set of pup (twin 28ft trailers) and the set (tractor-trailer-gear-trailer) turned over? OK, not fair......how many times has anyone had a flat on any tractor trailer setup, including 48ft doubles and triple set, and had the set turnover?

Tiny little second chance to keep your set upright? This is why YOU are the leader of a cult. Ever seen a cult leader who was.....

When did you ever have a tractor trailer set turnover because of a flat tire? 40 years or more driving a truck so you must have had several flats, how many sets did you turnover?

Last edited:
They were touted as fuel savers but in studies by the folks at ATRI, modern low profile duals match or exceed mileage rates of the wide singles. They only real benefit is weight savings which is one reason tankers gravitate to them. I've seen first hand the carnage that CAN happen when a wide single blows in a heavily laden commercial vehicle. The guy almost lost it and the gouged pavement and destroyed rim made my mind up for me. Granted that doesn't happen with every super single blow out, but I've yet to see a dual blow out and have the rim hit the pavement. Lots of opinions out there, but I will not operate one equipped with them. Glad I only have about 15 years left in this industry. They're taking all the fun right out of it and super singles for me is just one more straw on the camels back.
15 years will go by quickly. Just stay safe! You’ll be there before you know it!

I think....not sure.....there's a moratorium on super-single tires in doubles/triples operations for Union carriers under the NMFA, ABF NMFA, and the UPS and UPS Freight contracts...

Something about having a single tire blow out on a converter or a single axle......with doubles or triples...

And,....yeah.......Everyone is going to line up now and tell me how....."indestructible " ...super singles, or "duplex" tires are.....

But I think they are on hold until further study for the Union carriers....
Them super singles are worthless. I have a relative with a cattle truck. He couldn’t keep
Canary, I'm not picking on you brother but you post such inflammatory untruths. Way off in left field to the point it boggles the mind! But some individuals eat it up because you are the second coming of Jimmy Hoffa sr.

Tiny little second chance to keep your set upright? What are you talking about? Quick poll......how many times has anyone, absolutely anyone, had a flat tire on a set of pup (twin 28ft trailers) and the set (tractor-trailer-gear-trailer) turned over? OK, not fair......how many times has anyone had a flat on any tractor trailer setup, including 48ft doubles and triple set, and had the set turnover?

Tiny little second chance to keep your set upright? This is why YOU are the leader of a cult. Ever seen a cult leader who was.....

When did you ever have a tractor trailer set turnover because of a flat tire? 40 years or more driving a truck so you must have had several flats, how many sets did you turnover?
You are a crybaby! Waaaa! There are plenty of cases of a rollover because of a flat. There are safety videos providing it!

We were talking about the .....super-single tires, my friend. One tire to a side on a pup....one tire to a side on a converter gear.....
Big wide single tires......not duals......

And, as I said .....99% of super-single tire failures ......are road hazards.....
....you know......chunks of metal.....stuff falls out of pickups making a dump run....

Talk to an OD driver..... they run super-singles on pups and converters.....
Ask them about running over a chunk of metal with one of only three tires on the side of a set.....

If you think I'm being .....inflammatory.....well then you'd better wear your asbestos suit...

We were talking about the .....super-single tires, my friend. One tire to a side on a pup....one tire to a side on a converter gear.....

And, as I said .....99% of super-single tire failures ......are road hazards.....
....you know......chunks of metal.....stuff falls out of pickups making a dump run....

Ask them about running over a chunk of metal with one of only three tires on the side of a set.....

If you think I'm being .....inflammatory.....well then you'd better wear your asbestos suit...
Don't see many OD anymore with them on pups or gear, I know they did . Maybe they figured it out. Still see FedEx ground running around with wide singles on the gear

Back in the 70s when we tested the Ryder Paymasters, they ran single tires on a single axle, 45' trailer,
Atl. driver blew the left drive tire, all the air moved to the left air bag to keep vehicle level.
I guess the air tanks were too small, this dropped the air pressure and locked the brakes, he ran in the median and wrecked.
I don't recall if he turned over, but they pulled them all from service to not be seen again.

Don't see many OD anymore with them on pups or gear, I know they did . Maybe they figured it out. Still see FedEx ground running around with wide singles on the gear

Ryder tested a few on trailers, if you had a flat you were delayed awhile.
You can't slap duels on the hubs, they were different.

Sorry somehow two posts got tied together

Where’s Bro. Songremainsthesame? I believe he works for OD.
He can probably give us some insight on super-singles.....

To be honest,....I never ran them in doubles operations......Had them on a 45’ drop frame moving-style trailer...decades ago....

But,....our conversation evolved from low air warning devices....to tire safety......

I saw a lot of super-singles on OD and Fed-Ex equipment.........Never saw any on ABF, YRC, UPS.....
I thought......that was because the Teamsters declared a “moratorium “ on those tires in doubles/triples operations for an....unspecified period of time.....
But.......that was rumored......I don’t know that for sure.

Maybe I’ll call the IBT today and ask......

To be honest,....I never ran them in doubles operations......Had them on a 45’ drop frame moving-style trailer...decades ago....

But,....our conversation evolved from low air warning devices....to tire safety......

I saw a lot of super-singles on OD and Fed-Ex equipment.........Never saw any on ABF, YRC, UPS.....
I thought......that was because the Teamsters declared a “moratorium “ on those tires in doubles/triples operations for an....unspecified period of time.....

Had super-singles on a converter once at YRC a while back. Might have been a test possibly?

I passed a AAA Copper a couple of weeks ago who had a flat tire on the gear that was a single extremely wide tire. The only reason I noticed was because Love's had it leaning against the side of the trailer. No idea what caused it or what problems the driver had controlling it before stopping. But he was on an exit ramp. I have to wonder how the driver controlled the set from where the tire went flat to where he stopped on the exit ramp?

I think in laboratory conditions.......the super-singles work fine,.....and save the companies money in maintenance....

But.......especially in trucking......the real world kind of...defeats the testing they do.....

Bro. Seabreeze can tell us of the extensive “ testing” they did on Paymasters.....
......up until the point that they realized they needed some real world “guinea pigs”......

And.........we aren’t driving Paymasters......

I think in laboratory conditions.......the super-singles work fine,.....and save the companies money in maintenance....

But.......especially in trucking......the real world kind of...defeats the testing they do.....

Bro. Seabreeze can tell us of the extensive “ testing” they did on Paymasters.....
......up until the point that they realized they needed some real world “guinea pigs”......

And.........we aren’t driving Paymasters......

I only drove these Paymasters twice, we had a few 45' with these tires, if you had a flat, they had no spares at the tire banks and you had long delays, duels won't fit those hubs.
The same Atl driver that wrecked the Paymaster, was in the drs. office about 2 weeks later having his annual physical when he had a heart attack.
We told him the Paymaster scared him so bad, his ticker couldn't take the stress.
He did recover and came back to work.

Any idea how these tires save the company money? Or why they where introduced to the trucking industry?
They were touted as fuel savers and weight reduction technology. The military started using them on cargo trucks and prime movers on the 80's. When I was in, many of the 5 ton 930 series had them all around. They were coupled with an air system you could control from the cab that would inflate/deflate the tires depending on if you were in paved roads, muddy roads, or off road on dirt or sand . It was controlled with a push of a button .

A friend of mine works for od, blew a tire on the gear....super single. Only thing he noticed was the sound. I blew a drive tire going 70 plus on I70 in pa in a hard left turn. Wife was making cup of coffee and standing in the bunk when it went. Truck never even wiggled, never spilled a drop of coffee.