Estes | Can you be bumped off a board in a bid?

Songremainsthesame

TB Legend
Credits
I'm still pursuing Estes as a possible employer along with several other companies. I'm wondering, if you get hired on as say a utility driver or a linehaul driver, can you be bumped off that board in the next bid cycle? I don't know how often Estes bids, but we bid once a year and have no set board to be on. If you were on l/h one year and there are no available spots the next bid, you get bumped into a city start time (if there are any) or the am flex. I just wouldn't want to get hired for what I want to do and get forced to something the next bid.

Someone can always bump you just depends if you have a better run then them we bid once a yr in december have 4 road classes...linehaul,hub,xtra board and utility its kinda crazy each pay different rates and have different duties alot to explain but all in all best job ive ever had

I'm still pursuing Estes as a possible employer along with several other companies. I'm wondering, if you get hired on as say a utility driver or a linehaul driver, can you be bumped off that board in the next bid cycle? I don't know how often Estes bids, but we bid once a year and have no set board to be on. If you were on l/h one year and there are no available spots the next bid, you get bumped into a city start time (if there are any) or the am flex. I just wouldn't want to get hired for what I want to do and get forced to something the next bid.

A 20 year city, hub or utility driver can't touch a linehaul (xtraboard) driver that just came off the street. Same goes for the other classes. A 45 year city driver can't knock someone off utility if he wished to go utility. If the city guy spent 44 years on linehaul then jumped to the city, he still would fall behind the guy fresh off the street. If they had a linehaul spot open that nobody wanted, he then could go back to linehaul then get all of his linehaul time back after 90 days but can't bump nobody until rebids. I think a terminal transfer driver can bump after 90 days. It's a decent system to keep a linehaul driver on linehaul but sometimes a long timer can get hammered pretty good if he jumps ship then tries to get back on the ship. Total seniority works sometimes but occasionally we'd get the 20 year secretary with new cdls still trying to find out what a brake caliper is. Then riding up and down the highway like those buster brown guys jacking those knives when the weather gets tough.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like if you start on a particular board, if it's what you want it's best to stick with it. Or if it's not what you want (i.e. you're in the city but want to run linehaul), it's best to jump as soon as there's an opening. Does Estes have bid runs where you are out and back the same shift? I know when you first start you're out for 5-6 days, but do you ever get a chance to move up and not stay out or is it all run like a true road system?

Sounds like if you start on a particular board, if it's what you want it's best to stick with it. Or if it's not what you want (i.e. you're in the city but want to run linehaul), it's best to jump as soon as there's an opening. Does Estes have bid runs where you are out and back the same shift? I know when you first start you're out for 5-6 days, but do you ever get a chance to move up and not stay out or is it all run like a true road system?
Athens has at least 10 schedules I believe. I think they have people waiting on schedules that's been there 10 years. Atlanta had schedules left over after the rebids.

you have it down pretty good there, one other thing... lets say you are in linehaul, and someone with more time, has their run cancelled, then he bumps anyone below him, for the next best run for him, and this bumping continues down till most likely the bottom guy would be bumped to utility, till another linehaul spot becomes available, and he goes back to linehaul with all time counted as linehaul

you have it down pretty good there, one other thing... lets say you are in linehaul, and someone with more time, has their run cancelled, then he bumps anyone below him, for the next best run for him, and this bumping continues down till most likely the bottom guy would be bumped to utility, till another linehaul spot becomes available, and he goes back to linehaul with all time counted as linehaul

If he is bumped to utility, his linehaul seniority stays with him...He will get first bid on an available linehaul run or extra board,when one comes available..He doesn't lose his linehaul seniority,just his change of
catagory status..If he gets the linehaul run or extra board,I think his seniority is retroactive and effective at his start date back on linehaul...The 90 day rule doesn't apply,if I read it correctly...

If he is bumped to utility, his linehaul seniority stays with him...He will get first bid on an available linehaul run or extra board,when one comes available..He doesn't lose his linehaul seniority,just his change of
catagory status..If he gets the linehaul run or extra board,I think his seniority is retroactive and effective at his start date back on linehaul...The 90 day rule doesn't apply,if I read it correctly...
At my barn they go by total drive time seniority on anything a driver wants outside his class. Lets say a linehaul driver had to come off the road and work utility for whatever reason and has 9 years linehaul seniority. A local driver with 10 years, would get 1st pick on linehaul over the utility guy with 9 years linehaul seniority. It's a jacked up situation but I've seen it done several times.
I don't think I've heard the same story from a different driver yet but that's the way it's done at our house.

At my barn they go by total drive time seniority on anything a driver wants outside his class. Lets say a linehaul driver had to come off the road and work utility for whatever reason and has 9 years linehaul seniority. A local driver with 10 years, would get 1st pick on linehaul over the utility guy with 9 years linehaul seniority. It's a jacked up situation but I've seen it done several times.
I don't think I've heard the same story from a different driver yet but that's the way it's done at our house.

That is jacked up...Why should the untility guy,that got bumped into the city,have to wait for other city drivers to bid over him...He was bumped off linehaul..Something beyond his control..I know what the policy is, and sometimes it works in your favor and sometimes it doesn't...Two categories, Road and City, that would fix that problem...

That is jacked up...Why should the untility guy,that got bumped into the city,have to wait for other city drivers to bid over him...He was bumped off linehaul..Something beyond his control..I know what the policy is, and sometimes it works in your favor and sometimes it doesn't...Two categories, Road and City, that would fix that problem...

I kind of agree, but where would a utility driver fall under the 2 board system?

Im not sure how u guys in the south senority works but as far as i know utility counts as nothing for any kinda senority up here its jacked up class if u ask me should atleast count for some kinda line haul or hub senority i to believe it should just be road class and city class but were just drivers here and our opinion dont count

Im not sure how u guys in the south senority works but as far as i know utility counts as nothing for any kinda senority up here its jacked up class if u ask me should atleast count for some kinda line haul or hub senority i to believe it should just be road class and city class but were just drivers here and our opinion dont count
Utility falls under p&d. The way I understand it, if a utility guy goes straight p&d, all of his time would count as a p&d driver after 90 days. Hub is hub and linehaul is straight road and nothing else.

for whatever reason, really makes a difference... if he is forced off the linehaul, it works in his favor for getting back on... if he voluntarily goes to utility, all bets are off... good luck !!

if you are forced to the utility from any catagory, and then get back into the same catagory, you have no break in senority. just starting out, yes, you are a nobody, and time counts for nothing, except bidding with other utilities for a spot

I kind of agree, but where would a utility driver fall under the 2 board system?

Most road/city category, have no utility drivers..Or could be considered casual in most cases...You're not going to satisfy everyone, but the two board system seems to be working for 99% of the industry...Or, another idea,which most will love(laughing), total company seniority bidding...

Our bid run guys get forced to extraboard on a rare occasion but I have never heard of anyone getting bumped out of the class they were in. I have seen drivers get bumped all the way to the unemployment line

Most road/city category, have no utility drivers..Or could be considered casual in most cases...You're not going to satisfy everyone, but the two board system seems to be working for 99% of the industry...Or, another idea,which most will love(laughing), total company seniority bidding...

Only the hub and utility guys would benefit from a two board system and the city guys would benefit from the total time system. Can't have the drivers vote because they will never get enough to vote for a change that would benefit someone else. Truckers are some oid the selfish people I know. It don't matter if someone gets sick, fired or dies. "welp, I just moved up another spot."

Only the hub and utility guys would benefit from a two board system and the city guys would benefit from the total time system. Can't have the drivers vote because they will never get enough to vote for a change that would benefit someone else. Truckers are some oid the selfish people I know. It don't matter if someone gets sick, fired or dies. "welp, I just moved up another spot."

I don't worry much about "where I am on the board"...If my run gets cancelled,I go extra...I'm no better than the next guy...Do I want to,no..But ya do what ya gotta do..

I don't worry much about "where I am on the board"...If my run gets cancelled,I go extra...I'm no better than the next guy...Do I want to,no..But ya do what ya gotta do..

So if you have a scheduled run and have to run extra if your run is cancelled, do you have to stay out all week? Estes' linehaul system is set up so much differently than Con-way's, I'm really trying to figure out how it works. Going to call over to Athens tomorrow, talked to a city driver and he said they just posted something available, not sure whether it's city, flex or extra linehaul. I'll find out.