ABF | Caneras

I think they might be holding up on that one for a while. Maybe it's finally dawned on ABF upper management that,......with 75% of their workforce within 5 years of retirement,.........all it would take is one more insult,....one more power grab,......one more infringement of rights,......and they might have a thousand,....... or maybe two thousand,.....disgruntled employees spontaneously deciding to retire,....immediately. ABF has much more to fear from a mass spontaneous retirement,....than they do a Labor strike............

Brother Trucking Green,.....Haven't you noticed a distinct change in how carefully they're treating us? The corporate brain-trust is now indicating they'd be...."proud"....to be able to hand us all bonuses at the end of the year..........They are waiving all casual, preferred casual, new-hire, probationary language, and placing new employees right on the seniority board,....immediate benefits,......Keep your eyes open, Brother,...and maybe you'll notice a subtle change in how they value their employees, now that I've pointed it out to you......

Drove a new 14 Mack with Camera installed facing me last week.
I'll be darned!......Have they given you any warning?....Or was it just dropped on you? I would imagine the camera(s?) faced both ways> I know you run the road,....did it make you feel uncomfortable? Some of the Con-way drivers say it makes them very uncomfortable. I don't think it's because anyone is doing wrong......deliberately,......They just don't like being under constant surveillance.

I'll be darned!......Have they given you any warning?....Or was it just dropped on you? I would imagine the camera(s?) faced both ways> I know you run the road,....did it make you feel uncomfortable? Some of the Con-way drivers say it makes them very uncomfortable. I don't think it's because anyone is doing wrong......deliberately,......They just don't like being under constant surveillance.

Could it be a sign of things to come? I guess what I am trying to say is maybe it's not yet in operation.

You have to get your mind around the camera facing you. Some if ours( Conway) are set on a hair trigger... Goes off all the time. It makes us all uncomfortable, but it really depends on your management and how they plan to use it. They promised us they would never discipline us for something on camera. 8 months later, disciplinary action is starting. I don't even think about them....

Don't worry. I was messing with ya. No camera. .........yet.

You have to get your mind around the camera facing you. Some if ours( Conway) are set on a hair trigger... Goes off all the time. It makes us all uncomfortable, but it really depends on your management and how they plan to use it. They promised us they would never discipline us for something on camera. 8 months later, disciplinary action is starting. I don't even think about them....
One of your guys was telling me that when the camera is set off it goes to 1 specific place & then a clip is sent to the tm for both to review the next morning?

One of your guys was telling me that when the camera is set off it goes to 1 specific place & then a clip is sent to the tm for both to review the next morning?
yep. Third party company has the contract. Not one has any experience driving, just cubicle monkeys looking at the clip. They decide if you did something wrong.

upnorth, I work for YRCF, we don't have cameras, and maybe never will unless mandated by Gov. I'm curious though, can you give some examples of what would set the camera off, like not having two hands on the wheel, unless you're shifting or what? and does it have a flash go off in your face? Thank you.

upnorth, I work for YRCF, we don't have cameras, and maybe never will unless mandated by Gov. I'm curious though, can you give some examples of what would set the camera off, like not having two hands on the wheel, unless you're shifting or what? and does it have a flash go off in your face? Thank you.
sure. Bump in the road, uneven road, railway tracks, hard braking( it works by how many G's the camera feels), hard swerve, hard hooking to a trailer, hard tug test, impact with animal or vehicle. There is a light on the camera. Stays green when the system is active and no events are stored. When it's set off, the led light changes from red to green, flashing. Records 12 seconds, 8 seconds before, 4 after. When footage is stored in the camera, led stays red.

sure. Bump in the road, uneven road, railway tracks, hard braking( it works by how many G's the camera feels), hard swerve, hard hooking to a trailer, hard tug test, impact with animal or vehicle. There is a light on the camera. Stays green when the system is active and no events are stored. When it's set off, the led light changes from red to green, flashing. Records 12 seconds, 8 seconds before, 4 after. When footage is stored in the camera, led stays red.
So just about everything and anything that happens in the course of your day/night, wow, got it. Incredible.

I have heard ABF has been hesitant regarding cameras, many studies have been presented regarding the distraction/human nature of distraction and accidents. These were brought to their attention by Teamsters and they listened.

Brother Upnorth,....ABF has said that about75% of their people are within 5 years of retirement. Would you say that figure would also apply to Con-Way?

Brother Upnorth,....ABF has said that about75% of their people are within 5 years of retirement. Would you say that figure would also apply to Con-Way?
i don't know if ours is that high, but it's up there. They have been getting rid of senior drivers for any reason in the last three years; saving on retirement, benefits. Very warped corporate logic.

i don't know if ours is that high, but it's up there. They have been getting rid of senior drivers for any reason in the last three years; saving on retirement, benefits. Very warped corporate logic.

I would guess that corporate thinking is that you become "over" qualified for the job position and it is time for you to be put out to pasture ! lol.

yep... All depends on how sensitive they set it.

The cameras are hard to set off. They are a non-issue. They've saved a couple guys from being charged with an accident . Look in the conway forum, nobody is talking about them because it is no big deal. Had them a year now.