ABF | Caneras

The cameras are hard to set off. They are a non-issue. They've saved a couple guys from being charged with an accident . Look in the conway forum, nobody is talking about them because it is no big deal. Had them a year now.
well, I would disagree with you. On the sterlings, I counted 47 times in one night it went off. Goes off in my freightliner at least 8 times a night.

well, I would disagree with you. On the sterlings, I counted 47 times in one night it went off. Goes off in my freightliner at least 8 times a night.
I'm really getting very sick of getting pulled in the office and being coached about the most ridiculous things in the world. Like drinking water or eating stuff going down the road.

100% of the things I have been coached on all involve what the inside camera saw and are all frivolous idiotic things that have no effect on driving.

Face the stupid camera OUT all you want. Get the camera off the driver.

I'm really getting very sick of getting pulled in the office and being coached about the most ridiculous things in the world. Like drinking water or eating stuff going down the road. 100% of the things I have been coached on all involve what the inside camera saw and are all frivolous idiotic things that have no effect on driving. Face the stupid camera OUT all you want. Get the camera off the driver.
remember, the company with the contract that reviews the footage decided if you did something wrong. No experience behind the road, just a cubicle monkey. I was coached even though I did nothing wrong. Braked hard to avoid a guy coming off a ramp that didn't look. I said what did I do? Nothing was the answer. So why am I here? No answer....

I'm really getting very sick of getting pulled in the office and being coached about the most ridiculous things in the world. Like drinking water or eating stuff going down the road.

100% of the things I have been coached on all involve what the inside camera saw and are all frivolous idiotic things that have no effect on driving.

Face the stupid camera OUT all you want. Get the camera off the driver.

remember, the company with the contract that reviews the footage decided if you did something wrong. No experience behind the road, just a cubicle monkey. I was coached even though I did nothing wrong. Braked hard to avoid a guy coming off a ramp that didn't look. I said what did I do? Nothing was the answer. So why am I here? No answer....
I've never been called in for anything to do with the camera. About the only time it goes off is when you back under a heavy trailer.

If your following too close, you'll get called in..that's for sure. I've driven about 20 different trucks..city and linehaul.old and new..never been called in. But, I'm also careful. It's a non-issue.

Yours are set heavier. The installer told me personally the company wants them set lighter to get more events.

Good Lord!.......You guys from Con-Way seem to have missed the point!.....You ALL have accepted the cameras,.......and you don't seem to realize that the company is building a case on each one of you,....in the event that you........"disappoint"....them,..either by actions or words,...they have a ready-made excuse to fire,.....or "lay you off".....there's a good euphemism,.......under Employment-at-Will.....All this....."coaching"....is preliminary discipline. Goes on,..or in,..your file. If you had a Union,....and Weingarten Rights,.....you could re-but every bit of "coaching",....demand representation,...and force them to remove that information from your file! You guys ALL have been driving for 10, 20,..or 30 years. YOU know EXACTLY what you're doing behind a wheel,.....Why are you guys accepting....."coaching"....from people who probably couldn't tell you the difference between a glad hand and a gearshift? Good Grief! Don't you guys understand when you are being set up to be railroaded out of your jobs? Can you file a rebuttal letter that MUST be placed,....permanently,....alongside your..."coaching"...report? I don't care if they call it...."coaching"....It is discipline,........and you and I know that if you rack up too many,......."coaching'....incidents,.....they'll fire you! All Con-way cares about is liability,.....the lessening of theirs,....and placing more of it on YOU!.......Nothing to do with safety! Saint Mother Macree! Don't you guys understand that you're placing your liivelihood,..........and your PERSONAL finances,.....in the hands of malevolent bean-counters?............."Coaching"...........yeah,..........The day ABF uses such a malaproprism ,.......to disguise the fact that they're trying to weasel a commentary on my driving,........is the day I'll quit so fast my shadow will linger for a few minutes after I'm gone.....

Good Lord!.......You guys from Con-Way seem to have missed the point!.....You ALL have accepted the cameras,.......and you don't seem to realize that the company is building a case on each one of you,....in the event that you........"disappoint"....them,..either by actions or words,...they have a ready-made excuse to fire,.....or "lay you off".....there's a good euphemism,.......under Employment-at-Will.....All this....."coaching"....is preliminary discipline. Goes on,..or in,..your file. If you had a Union,....and Weingarten Rights,.....you could re-but every bit of "coaching",....demand representation,...and force them to remove that information from your file! You guys ALL have been driving for 10, 20,..or 30 years. YOU know EXACTLY what you're doing behind a wheel,.....Why are you guys accepting....."coaching"....from people who probably couldn't tell you the difference between a glad hand and a gearshift? Good Grief! Don't you guys understand when you are being set up to be railroaded out of your jobs? Can you file a rebuttal letter that MUST be placed,....permanently,....alongside your..."coaching"...report? I don't care if they call it...."coaching"....It is discipline,........and you and I know that if you rack up too many,......."coaching'....incidents,.....they'll fire you! All Con-way cares about is liability,.....the lessening of theirs,....and placing more of it on YOU!.......Nothing to do with safety! Saint Mother Macree! Don't you guys understand that you're placing your liivelihood,..........and your PERSONAL finances,.....in the hands of malevolent bean-counters?............."Coaching"...........yeah,..........The day ABF uses such a malaproprism ,.......to disguise the fact that they're trying to weasel a commentary on my driving,........is the day I'll quit so fast my shadow will linger for a few minutes after I'm gone.....

Well said. That's the main reason I'm on my way out. Lean was the first thing that pissed me off. Then came all the dock workers and now our terminal looks like a homeless shelter and everything is getting damaged. The cameras are what put me over the edge. I would have quit right after they showed up, but the wife was pregnant and I needed to keep the insurance. Now it's time to move on to a company that doesn't treat it's drivers like children.

I never heard about this place EVER having trouble finding drivers before lean and the cameras came along. That speaks for itself, no matter what the kool-aid suckers try to tell you...

Last edited by a moderator:

Wow! I agree!
uqy7u5eg.jpg

If you had a camera for a year, like I have had, you would not even be talking about it. I don't loose any sleep over it. The cameras are coming to all companies..just wait. Don't let it run your life.

Is it right?.....Or is it inevitable because you've lost your Constitutional rights at the time clock? I find the last line; "Don't let it run your life." ironic,....on at least three levels.........

Well said. That's the main reason I'm on my way out. Lean was the first thing that pissed me off. Then came all the dock workers and now our terminal looks like a homeless shelter and everything is getting damaged. The cameras are what put me over the edge. I would have quit right after they showed up, but the wife was pregnant and I needed to keep the insurance. Now it's time to move on to a company that doesn't treat it's drivers like children.

I never heard about this place EVER having trouble finding drivers before lean and the cameras came along. That speaks for itself, no matter what the kool-aid suckers try to tell you...

Good Luck, Brother.........and thanks for having the courage to stick up for your rights. Real life is full of small heroics,.........No one ever said it was going to be easy, either...........

Is it right?.....Or is it inevitable because you've lost your Constitutional rights at the time clock? I find the last line; "Don't let it run your life." ironic,....on at least three levels.........
Don't bother, Canary. He's a lost cause.
When the government puts cameras in your bathroom, he'll be the one telling you that it's a non-issue because he's always careful when he pinches it off...

Just giving you insight on the cameras..those other guys are saying what you want to hear...I'm telling you my opinion. You sir, have a good weekend.

disclosure : I roll for Con-way

Cameras are a huge reason why people are leaving. Lean and dock hands distant second and third.

A lot of drivers like not having to put in as much dock time.

And lean is a stupid way of telling people how to do a job that they can't. Most of us already know how to do our jobs.

I would say lean and dock hands are the non issues.

We are drivers first. What happens while we are behind the wheel matters most.

Had a great guy get fired because of the camera. Got in a wreck with a large car. Other driver was cited. Went to court. All on the other driver. Went before the kangaroo court and it was determined by the camera that he didn't do enough to avoid the wreck and was terminated. This is not the only story I have heard like this. It is the only story that happened to a guy I personally actually knew and worked with and no longer has a job here.

disclosure : I roll for Con-way

Cameras are a huge reason why people are leaving. Lean and dock hands distant second and third.

A lot of drivers like not having to put in as much dock time.

And lean is a stupid way of telling people how to do a job that they can't. Most of us already know how to do our jobs.

I would say lean and dock hands are the non issues.

We are drivers first. What happens while we are behind the wheel matters most.

Had a great guy get fired because of the camera. Got in a wreck with a large car. Other driver was cited. Went to court. All on the other driver. Went before the kangaroo court and it was determined by the camera that he didn't do enough to avoid the wreck and was terminated. This is not the only story I have heard like this. It is the only story that happened to a guy I personally actually knew and worked with and no longer has a job here.
This is one reason for a union....

If you had a camera for a year, like I have had, you would not even be talking about it. I don't loose any sleep over it. The cameras are coming to all companies..just wait. Don't let it run your life.

This past week, I asked InfoRoundtable whether ABF had any plans to put driver-facing cameras in their trucks within the next two years. I got a private answer back,....(I seem to get a lot of those these days,...Maybe what I'm asking is making them uncomfortable....)....that said: "At this time, ABF is not looking to install cameras in their trucks."......Gee,.......and I thought they were as enamoured of new technology as any other company......You don't think that the fact that about 75% of us can immediately retire,...or are very close to it,.....if ABF makes another insulting choice regarding potential discipline, and infringement of privacy,.....would have anything to do with that decision, do you?

This past week, I asked InfoRoundtable whether ABF had any plans to put driver-facing cameras in their trucks within the next two years. I got a private answer back,....(I seem to get a lot of those these days,...Maybe what I'm asking is making them uncomfortable....)....that said: "At this time, ABF is not looking to install cameras in their trucks."......Gee,.......and I thought they were as enamoured of new technology as any other company......You don't think that the fact that about 75% of us can immediately retire,...or are very close to it,.....if ABF makes another insulting choice regarding potential discipline, and infringement of privacy,.....would have anything to do with that decision, do you?

You bet it does. The last thing a potential new hire wants’ to see or even hear about is a camera recording his every move, phone call, hardened nasal fluid excavation, & any sudden leak of gas which according to the American Medical Association contains about 40% methane. Not to mention working the dock for your first 5 years on the job before having a drive bid. I firmly believe that the ability to attract new rank file employees will be affected by how they treat the current ones.