Career Ending Operation???

I know you're miserable but it looks like your in good hands. Don't let the surveillance camera man catch you.

Although you speak from experience and are probably spot on with what you and your doctor says you need done, you are at the mercy of work comps snail pace of certifying/non-certifying through ODG Guidelines. I totally agree that a work related injury takes it toll in the overall healing process..... it's a hurry up and wait.

i worry not about any camera or video, i'll even pose for them.

it is well documented that i have a legit problem, with a paper trail as long as I-95 from the north down to the south.

the camera's usually start rolling, when the person is later supposedly clear to go back to work, but claims he is still in pain. that's when insurance fraud comes into play.

the lawyer's office knows about my need for an operation, and he will push that it get's done, the nurse case manager (for the insurance company), is working on my behalf as well, and she will push the insurance company as well..

i'd still want a second opinion though, and if the second opinion say's that all i need is steroid injections, then that quack will be put to rest, as a previous quack was. but if an operation is warranted, then i will stick to the first neurosurgeon.

In my area:
They know you have pain, they just want to know how hurt you really are. Some people can give great over acting Oscar performances at the doctors office. (I am NOT saying you are one of them.)
There really is no set pattern when the lights camera action takes place. You can get double maybe triple teamed to throw you off at any time.

Your doctors appointments are their best friend because it's a sure bet you have to leave the house whether you drive or not.
They find out lots of stuff about you, your previous settlements, your social networking status updates etc. A lot of stuff can end up biting you in the Sciatic nerve.

The nurse case manager for work comp claims to be neutral. If you inform them or they find out you have an attorney, you're only allowed to talk to her.
Of course she wants you to get better faster and with the least amount of pay out, but at the same time, she is taking down notes and providing intel.
My advice? STFU and only give short answers, don't elaborate and over embellish. Those long **** chats are between you and your own doctor.

Again, I know you know how to handle your situation.
I'm just posting for others that might be in similar situations and don't want to chime in.

In my area:
They know you have pain, they just want to know how hurt you really are. Some people can give great over acting Oscar performances at the doctors office. (I am NOT saying you are one of them.)

this is true, the Oscar winning performances. i know what you are saying by the way.

The nurse case manager for work comp claims to be neutral. If you inform them or they find out you have an attorney, you're only allowed to talk to her.
Of course she wants you to get better faster and with the least amount of pay out, but at the same time, she is taking down notes and providing intel.
My advice? STFU and only give short answers, don't elaborate and over embellish. Those long **** chats are between you and your own doctor.

at first, the nurse case manager wanted to meet me at the clinic, i said sure. my lawyer advised against allowing her into any exam room, which i do agree. whatever the doc and i chat up, i want that "secret".

yesterday in fact, the surgeon's office called me and asked if i could be an hour earlier, i said sure. well i really did forget, the nurse wanted to meet me there as well. she arrived, at the old appointment time, one hour later. (long after i had left..!!)

she called me, and i was embarrassed that i had forgotten about her. she shrugged it off.
when i spoke to her, i was shall i say....short in my answers to her, only saying that the doc recommended surgery, and just waiting now for the process.

Again, I know you know how to handle your situation.
I'm just posting for others that might be in similar situations and don't want to chime in.

trying my best. i tried to learn over the years from the mistakes others make...

but again, everything is accounted for, the x-rays and MRI and exams, the physical therapy, and the paper trail, all back up this injury.

one can always "fake" a back injury..

but no one can fake the MRI.....which is why i demanded that (and the x-ray), as soon as that quack (the 2nd doc at the clinic) said all he thinks i had was a back spasm......but he freely gave me more drugs.....!!!!

one can always "fake" a back injury..

but no one can fake the MRI.....which is why i demanded that (and the x-ray), as soon as that quack (the 2nd doc at the clinic) said all he thinks i had was a back spasm......but he freely gave me more drugs.....!!!!

True. The MRI will reveal how bad the herniation is, but they will probably certify a fusion surgery when all other avenues have been exhausted.
Wait wait wait wait wait x100

i am not near retirement age yet. disability will take me up to that, then s.s. will kick in, and i can continue to collect disability.

you may know many people with bad backs or screwed up backs, but each situation is different. if the lawyer say's i am eligible for any disability, then i will take it, and why not..i did the time, paid my dues, now it's time to get paid back.

Sorry, this is where we disagree. Disability is not an entitlement. It is there so people that are disabled and unable to work at all can still survive. It isn't there for someone to use because they paid in and now they can't perform a certain job. This country is circling the drain because too many are on the public dole. If your back surgery is crippling, by all means, get disability. Spinal fusion is rarely crippling.

Sorry, this is where we disagree. Disability is not an entitlement. It is there so people that are disabled and unable to work at all can still survive. It isn't there for someone to use because they paid in and now they can't perform a certain job. This country is circling the drain because too many are on the public dole. If your back surgery is crippling, by all means, get disability. Spinal fusion is rarely crippling.

this is true that spinal fusion "may be" rarely crippling, but then again, you don't know my particular situation.

no, i may not be "entitled" to anything, but if it is allowed i will take it. as i have been told, if i cannot do the work that i did before the surgery, then disability is an avenue, and i will certainly take it. what is crippling the country, is/are the fakes out there, not the ones that are deserving, and i do believe you do mention that in my situation, which i thank you for.

There are so many scenarios.

Work Comp benefits vary from state to state. In the event you can no longer do your job as a driver, but can still work regardless if you end up walking like a hunch back of Notre Dame. you're most likely going to be offered some Vocational Rehab/retraining education in a new job field. (Master Burger Flipper?)
If you do become a Master Burger Flipper, let me know where you work and I will try to be the first TB member to buy a burger you flipped. (just lightening the mood)

They might even start to get sick of seeing your name on medical files and just lump sum you out. (joke)
This is where your experienced lawyer starts to work hard. Getting you the maximum work comp disability settlement. With no lawyer, you will most likely get a low balled offer.

It's going to take a lot of blind siding tests and numerous 'expert' doctors opinions on both sides to label a person permanently disabled. It's almost impossible to tip the "Impairment Rating" scale to your side in a work comp case.

If a faker somehow gets away with it and ends up with a permanently disabled rating. he/she gets paid a substantial settlement that can be easily taken away through video surveillance. Not a cool thing to live on a daily basis with if you knew you could go back to work.

I had a BS coworker that was hurt at work. He got his surgery and rehab but still claimed he couldn't lift anything. He faked his way through his Physical therapy, FCE and IME's. They knew he was a "Malingerer"...Got accustomed to being off work and lazy to return. He got caught on tape numerous times and his settlement was reduced by 80%. All the time he was faking was being documented.

In the end, it's all about being honest and have a very positive attitude to get well and recover to the best of your ability and return to the work force.

Being open about your injury, you are going to get a lot of opinions and viewpoints and only you, your doctor and work comp knows what's going on.
Get well...be well.

There are so many scenarios.

Work Comp benefits vary from state to state. In the event you can no longer do your job as a driver, but can still work regardless if you end up walking like a hunch back of Notre Dame. you're most likely going to be offered some Vocational Rehab/retraining education in a new job field. (Master Burger Flipper?)
If you do become a Master Burger Flipper, let me know where you work and I will try to be the first TB member to buy a burger you flipped. (just lightening the mood)

if, and i do say if, i can no longer drive, then i would only hope that some sort of "re-training" can be and will be made to me, free of charge..

i'd gladly work in an office, maybe as a "bean counter" and find a way to fire some of the deadwood at some trucking company.>!!

i was in the "food service industry" as a teen, and learning that occupation, but i didn't like my then boss, whom i'd often call...... "Ayatollah Khomeini".....remember that guy..???? and by the way, that place was NOT a Mc Burgerworld or Mc Wendyburger or any other "fast food place"....i actually like the food service industry.

Being open about your injury, you are going to get a lot of opinions and viewpoints and only you, your doctor and work comp knows what's going on.
Get well...be well.

opinions are like....well.....you know that old saying...??

but i actually welcome them. i had "argued with others", (some of which i take responsibility for starting), so now it's my turn to roast on the spit, (so to speak).

workman's comp laws DO vary from one state to another, no doubt.

i still have a very LONG way to go yet....

approval for the surgery, maybe that second opinion, the actual operation, recovery, therapy, and any other etc,etc that there is, no doubt.

so as of right now, maybe i'm playing the "devil's advocate" with some of those opinions, maybe not.

but i do know this...i only have one other disk below this one that needs to be removed.

i cannot "see" that last disk staying in good condition for very long, then what..????

the doctor had said that "sometimes" to avoid that last disk from blowing out, it gets removed at the same time as this current one will be removed. BUT, until he gets "in there" he cannot say for sure, he and i will go over the MRI again, and then as he said, if he get's in there, and "has to" remove that last disk, well then...it's gotta be done.....

what do i do then.....??? how much "range of motion" will i have then..???

so as i stated, before, and so have a few others, "each person" is a whole different set of circumstances....no 2 operations are ever the same, as no 2 snow flakes are...right..???

i "ponder" my future....will i be healthy, or hunched over and in pain still..???

too many thoughts, too many questions, too soon to say or ask....

other than as the title of my thread asks........"is this a career ending operation"...???

I could probably do your back surgery here in NJ. I do gall bladder and back surgery on most weekends. I have snap on and craftsmen tools ....gasoline washed. If interested pm me.

I could probably do your back surgery here in NJ. I do gall bladder and back surgery on most weekends. I have snap on and craftsmen tools ....gasoline washed. If interested pm me.
I do have a wart on my ***** I was thinking about having removed. How sterile is your lab? PM me with pricing if interested.

what part of "Joisey" do you live in...??

cuz i'm thinking that if i have to get there by I-95, the smells from the chemical plants will probably suffice for anasteezia.......:LMAO:

and will you accept workman's comp pay schedules..?????

and i can apply for full disability as well...????:LMAO:

I have a Dremel Tool with an assortment of attachments that I have been waiting to use. Grout Saw to be specific.
Anesthesia? You get to smoke 5 pounds of Medical Marijuana non stop while listening to THIS

i have a Dremel tool as well....i go through those "cutting discs" pretty quick......

i ain't used mine in a while though....

I have a crippled left foot, back problems and two blownout knees from the milk business. In 2011 I had to give up on hauling milk. I doubt that my troubles are as bad as yours but I can admire the fight to stay productive. It tskes a hell of a lot of guts!

You may have to do what I had to do and leave the back breaking work to those who need it. The yougsters.

They may take over for you but they can never replace you. I will keep you in my prayers.

I have a crippled left foot, back problems and two blownout knees from the milk business. In 2011 I had to give up on hauling milk. I doubt that my troubles are as bad as yours but I can admire the fight to stay productive. It tskes a hell of a lot of guts!

You may have to do what I had to do and leave the back breaking work to those who need it. The yougsters.

They may take over for you but they can never replace you. I will keep you in my prayers.

what the neurosurgeon has told me is that he needs to remove the screws/rods from the previous operation, because as of right now, they interfere with the new operation. he will then use new rods/screws to make it all one fusion..

if you look at the pic of my x-ray, you can see where the rods, extend down from the past operation....

i hope the pic of the x-ray came out ok, you might be able to expand it, or use a magnifying glass....

x-ray_zpsf1db9a0f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

you see where there is a top and bottom screw(s)..??

well it is the bottom screw/rod that is in the way of the new operation.

now, that bottom screw, the very next "black spot (or opening that you see) is where the number 5 disk is located...disks do not show up on x-rays, only the MRI...

well after that number 5 disk, is number 6.......the last one..

sometimes (the surgeon said) is that to avoid that last disk from blowing out, doctors remove that one as well....

until he "get's in there", he cannot say for sure if that last disk needs to be removed as well.....

but even if not, how long before all the pressure from daily life, (ie, walking, climbing stairs, climbing in and out of trucks, bending, etc,etc) will it take for the last disk to blow out....

which beckoned me to ask..."career ending operation"...???

what the neurosurgeon has told me is that he needs to remove the screws/rods from the previous operation, because as of right now, they interfere with the new operation. he will then use new rods/screws to make it all one fusion..

if you look at the pic of my x-ray, you can see where the rods, extend down from the past operation....

i hope the pic of the x-ray came out ok, you might be able to expand it, or use a magnifying glass....

x-ray_zpsf1db9a0f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

you see where there is a top and bottom screw(s)..??

well it is the bottom screw/rod that is in the way of the new operation.

now, that bottom screw, the very next "black spot (or opening that you see) is where the number 5 disk is located...disks do not show up on x-rays, only the MRI...

well after that number 5 disk, is number 6.......the last one..

sometimes (the surgeon said) is that to avoid that last disk from blowing out, doctors remove that one as well....

until he "get's in there", he cannot say for sure if that last disk needs to be removed as well.....

but even if not, how long before all the pressure from daily life, (ie, walking, climbing stairs, climbing in and out of trucks, bending, etc,etc) will it take for the last disk to blow out....

which beckoned me to ask..."career ending operation"...???

Ouch. We are so fragile. I was warned by an Osteopath once that when you start down the path of surgery that their is no turning back. I listened to him as he told me that I had a bulging disk in my back but surgery was an option be he advised against it. I had gotten so I could barely walk but I started doing the exercises he gave me doubting any of it would work. I put the heating pad away and to my surprise I began to feel better. I am glad I didn't go under the knife for my back. Some of the willingness to try something else may have come from the two botched jobs on my left foot injury from racing Motocross.

Can you imagine being able to genetically reproduce new disks from your own DNA and being able to go in and refurbish yourself? I hear that stem cell research has been able to do this not from the aborted fetus but from the umbilical cord attached. It makes one wonder how much benefit science could be to us humans if medicine was purely humanitarian instead of profit driven. Imagine if you were young again and could have a do over? I abused myself early on but it was glorious being able to work that hard. I enjoyed it.

But you are no doubt like me and never thought you would get old. Here's hoping they get in there and you have something left to work with. Like the new Joe Walsh line "All the friends I used to run with are gone, Lord I didn't plan on living this long. I guess I'll have to live my life one day at a time". Joe has gained so much wisdom over the years, but it came at a price. If you like Joe Walsh you might like his latest songs "Family" and "One day at a time".

BTW is the hardware in your back titanium?

My chiro tells me that any fusion places extra burden on the surrounding areas and it makes sense. If your spine moves x degrees over 5 vertebrates instead of 6 or 7 those around it feel the pressure. Be well and good luck.