ABF | Cell phone ELD

shrink wrap

TB Lurker
Credits
Wondering if any terminals are being instructed to use their cell phones when there are no ELDS available because the city drivers using road tractors to make deliveries have to use the road elds also. This forces road drivers into using their phones. Union hall claims some kind of agreement was made . Just wondering if others are experiencing this... thanks

Wondering if any terminals are being instructed to use their cell phones when there are no ELDS available because the city drivers using road tractors to make deliveries have to use the road elds also. This forces road drivers into using their phones. Union hall claims some kind of agreement was made . Just wondering if others are experiencing this... thanks
Heard some drivers just use there cell phone but because they want to. We do always have a shortage of handhelds but somehow its never a problem.

There has been no agreement. It is legal to use your phone. But the contract says the company has to supply us with all the equipment to do our job.

I don’t think it is legal to use your phone, I believe the ELD has to be connected/synced with the trucks ECM.
I've used my cell phone many times at Yellow when no company ELD was available for some reason. I downloaded the app which connects to the tractor computer via Bluetooth. Even produced the info from the phone at a NY State Police roadside inspection. No issues.

Last edited:
It’s not about convenience it’s about not using my personal effects for work use without proper compensation. Which wouldn’t happen so break out the paper
My former fantastic shop steward used to say "don't waste time picking the fly ::shit:: out of the pepper." Great advice IMHO. I guess you don't subscribe to that adage. Whatever. When I'm dispatched I just want to get going and not waste time "making a point" over nothing. Each to his own I guess.

That happened at our terminal awhile back. Dispatchers said that they were out of eld's and that we could use our phones . Some drivers agreed and charged anywhere from a half an hour to one hour on their log sheet for the whole run. Fort Smith cut the time claim and said the driver elected to use his or her phone and would not pay it. Needless to say everyone tells Dispatch that they will just wait on a eld to become available now.

That happened at our terminal awhile back. Dispatchers said that they were out of eld's and that we could use our phones . Some drivers agreed and charged anywhere from a half an hour to one hour on their log sheet for the whole run. Fort Smith cut the time claim and said the driver elected to use his or her phone and would not pay it. Needless to say everyone tells Dispatch that they will just wait on a eld to become available now.
Connecting my phone ELD to the tractor was no different than connecting the company ELD. Seems to me making a mountain out of a molehill. 🙄

Not quite.....I don't loan out my personal tools to the company, the same as they would not lend me a truck to move over the weekend....
Who said? A previous employer (Teamster of course) certainly did lend me a tractor and P&D trailer over Labor Day weekend to move myself when I bought my house.

And as far as my.phone, I never lent it to anyone, it was always in my possession. As I said earlier, don't pick the fly ::shit:: out of the pepper. Pick your battles for important ::shit::, not trivial crap.

Who said? A previous employer (Teamster of course) certainly did lend me a tractor and P&D trailer over Labor Day weekend to move myself when I bought my house.

And as far as my.phone, I never lent it to anyone, it was always in my possession. As I said earlier, don't pick the fly ::::shit:::: out of the pepper. Pick your battles for important ::::shit::::, not trivial crap.
What year was that Tri? They would never do that now......