XPO | Coffee Breaks

cityman

TB Lurker
Credits
This may have talked about before but I hear that Con-way does not allow drivers to take any coffee breaks. Is this true? If you had to put in a 12 or 14 hour day do you only get a half hour lunch break all day? Any truth to this?

This may have talked about before but I hear that Con-way does not allow drivers to take any coffee breaks. Is this true? If you had to put in a 12 or 14 hour day do you only get a half hour lunch break all day? Any truth to this?

Yes. That is true. There has been some bending to this rule over the last year I have noticed.

I would have a hard time with that, I get hungry and need to eat several times a day.If I would have to take my break between my 4th and 6th hour and work a 14 hour day I would be starving by my 10th hour.

I was told when I started here that we get an unpaid 1/2 hour lunch and two 15 minute paid breaks. Period.

I have not been told since that those breaks have been rescinded, like much other stuff has over the years.

I was told when I started here that we get an unpaid 1/2 hour lunch and two 15 minute paid breaks. Period.

I have not been told since that those breaks have been rescinded, like much other stuff has over the years.

So if you are at the terminal working the dock do you go in the break room and take your 2 coffee breaks during your shift? Does everybody at your barn? Do the supervisors know?

Do I? Usually
Does everybody? No.
The Supervisors know if I tell them, which I do if he can be easily found.

Do I? Usually
Does everybody? No.
The Supervisors know if I tell them, which I do if he can be easily found.

Why does not everybody take a break? Sounds like there is no specific rule about getting a break. Are the supervisors letting you get away with taking a break or is everybody entitled to one?

Why does not everybody take a break? Sounds like there is no specific rule about getting a break. Are the supervisors letting you get away with taking a break or is everybody entitled to one?

I believe we are "allowed" a ten minute break, every two hours. We are "allowed" a half hour break at some point during our duty day. The "rules" on these vary, depending on whether you are on "City" or on "linehaul"......

The break periods are not "forced", but "allowed" if not abused. The half-hour lunch period is enforced for "City" operations (they have to take one, preferably between the 4th. and 6th. hour), but, "allowed" for linehaul operations at the discretion of the driver. I rarely take the half-hour (being on linehaul, is is not mandatory), but have done so on occasion. I almost always use the 'tens'.......

I have never been allowed to take a 10 minute break period...Payed that is.:nono:

I believe we are "allowed" a ten minute break, every two hours. We are "allowed" a half hour break at some point during our duty day. The "rules" on these vary, depending on whether you are on "City" or on "linehaul"......

The break periods are not "forced", but "allowed" if not abused. The half-hour lunch period is enforced for "City" operations (they have to take one, preferably between the 4th. and 6th. hour), but, "allowed" for linehaul operations at the discretion of the driver. I rarely take the half-hour (being on linehaul, is is not mandatory), but have done so on occasion. I almost always use the 'tens'.......
:hide: If memory serves me correctly, way back at my orientation, we were told an am 10 minute break, a 1/2 hour lunch break, prefferably between the 4th and 6th hour, and a pm 10 minute break.:smilie_132:

For line haul you may show 1/2 hour break and two 15 minute breaks. You cannot combine them all as one, if you take breaks, it must be done this way. Only on linehaul!
On P&D and dock you may only have the 1/2 hour break.

At our barn they won't say anything if you're in the break room getting a coffee, or using the restroom, unless you abuse it and stand in there talking and such.

I take so many breaks everyday that I should be paying them. The original poster is obviously trying to get a rise out of everybody, trying to make us think we have it so bad. The original poster knows everything about Con-way already. Well, your not going to get a rise out of me. I love to work and there's not much they can do to me. I also like money and make plenty of it here. No pay cuts here.

I have never been allowed to take a 10 minute break period...Payed that is.:nono:

I get breaks all day long. Sometimes it is at customers waiting on a dock or maybe inside waiting to get loaded. Many times it is the freight is not ready and you go find the breakroom...grab a cup a java and take a breather.

And there are times when I just elect to take the break when I start becoming fatigued. This is a safety issue more than anything else. If I am not up on my game then I am a danger...not only to myself but everyone around me.

Irrespective of what you are told you are still captain of your own ship. It is up to you to assure you are up to par. And ultimately it is your career that you are protecting.

Con-Way is a push-push-push company. There are just so many hours in the day to accomplish what need to be done. However your supervisors aren't as idiotic (most anyway!) as you may think. They know as well as you that we all have our crosses to bear. They have theirs and you have yours. They are counting on you to perform certain tasks in a given period.

Any P&D driver worth their salt will find time to regenerate. If you are not getting any kind of break during the day then something is wrong! You need to take this matter up with your SCM and perhaps he can guide you in what you need to do in order to be refreshed and ready for the next assignment coming your way.

Rat :loser:

As a l/h driver I was tolled you can take two 15 minute break and one 30 minute lunch. This is what I was tolled.

The original poster is obviously trying to get a rise out of everybody, trying to make us think we have it so bad. The original poster knows everything about Con-way already. Well, your not going to get a rise out of me. I love to work and there's not much they can do to me. I also like money and make plenty of it here. No pay cuts here.

Cityman's posting statistics show he is very inquisitive about many trucking companies benefits, pay, work rules, people etc.

For line haul you may show 1/2 hour break and two 15 minute breaks. You cannot combine them all as one, if you take breaks, it must be done this way. Only on linehaul!
On P&D and dock you may only have the 1/2 hour break.

This is the way I always understood it. No one ever said anything about a quick stop on the way home from P&D though. Seemed to me as long as your work was done in a timely manner you were left alone. I suppose this varies from place to place though.