FedEx Freight | Company seniority

Honestly I hope there is a merger and they offer us a buyout like with national. I'll take it and my pension cash out and take my time finding a good job.

Really think something like that is coming. Why would they offer so many CC days.

Back in the slow times in 2010's. We would have 5 or 6 at home and I would try to take day off, and they would tell me take time or occurrence. I said there are drivers at home. They would repeat time or occurrence.

Company seniority for all layoffs.
Voluntary furlough by job class seniority and if no takers and it becomes forced then bottom of seniority class are forced. Have not seen any merger since 2008 and that's anybody guess on how that works since I don't know how the Express or Ground consolidation will effect Freight seniority.
2011 merger national to freight.

How does company seniority work? I have a city driver below me that has worked here longer, but it was part time dock. If there was a furlough or merge would he have the upper hand as a driver?
It goes by your last full time hire date, no matter where that was. So many people transfer to florida that this has to be explained many times.

A written policy or employee handbook is considered a legal employment contract under federal law.
While this may be true, what laws are there to stop the company from changing the rules in the employee handbook anytime they decide it is necessary to the benefit of the company?
Without contract language that is agreed to for a specific time frame, the company can easily change something that used to be a discussion or written warning into a suspension or discharge simply by drafting a new employee hand book. Without the employee’s consent. Please correct me if I am wrong as this is just my assumption.

While this may be true, what laws are there to stop the company from changing the rules in the employee handbook anytime they decide it is necessary to the benefit of the company?
Without contract language that is agreed to for a specific time frame, the company can easily change something that used to be a discussion or written warning into a suspension or discharge simply by drafting a new employee hand book. Without the employee’s consent. Please correct me if I am wrong as this is just my assumption.
I believe, in practice, you are correct. Changes could probably be litigated, but the reality is that will never happen.

I believe, in practice, you are correct. Changes could probably be litigated, but the reality is that will never happen.
Why aren't you on vacation Blade, ya know collecting seashells by the seashore or something. They're free. :lmao:

Last edited:
You just don't know how right you are! FXF literally changes the rules in the employee handbook, available on line only, almost everyday. For the last several years before I retired almost every RD meeting started off with the RDA or some other company flack saying, so there have been some "updates" to previous company rules. They move the goalposts every day to benefit only the company. So glad to be gone!

You just don't know how right you are! FXF literally changes the rules in the employee handbook, available on line only, almost everyday. For the last several years before I retired almost every RD meeting started off with the RDA or some other company flack saying, so there have been some "updates" to previous company rules. They move the goalposts every day to benefit only the company. So glad to be gone!
Take me with you driver! Lol

FEDEX FREIGHT:
just got forced furlough and wont be "back" until august. been there since 2017 and was hired as full time just last year. there are drivers that started (got hired) after my hiring date (as a part timer dock). why not keep drivers that can perform dock instead of keeping dock that cant perform driving? was told by HR it has to do with the pay... is there someone higher than HR (number i can call) to specify how exactly they are conducting and basing these furloughs by?

^^^
its all about staffing. if you replace the dockworkers with drivers and suddenly theres an increase in freight levels, theres gonna be a shortage of available drivers if they're stuck on the dock. add to the fact that it takes time to hire new emplyees and train them. right now at most centers, we have a surplus of drivers. its just easier for the company to furlough drivers rather than get rid of the dockworkers and potentially create staffing issues later down the line. most pt dockworkers are already getting less hours as is, i would say a majority have another job somewhere else, so they aren't as affected by the reduction of hours.

FEDEX FREIGHT:
just got forced furlough and wont be "back" until august. been there since 2017 and was hired as full time just last year. there are drivers that started (got hired) after my hiring date (as a part timer dock). why not keep drivers that can perform dock instead of keeping dock that cant perform driving? was told by HR it has to do with the pay... is there someone higher than HR (number i can call) to specify how exactly they are conducting and basing these furloughs by?
There's lots of people you can call, but these decisions are made at a building level so it's ultimately up to your SCM.

Enjoy the summer or explore other opportunities and work through the furlough. Nothing says you have to sit at home for 3 months.