FedEx Freight | Company seniority

This is the wording from the policy.

Company seniority in the affected job classification is used to determine which employee(s) is displaced. The
employee(s) with the lowest company seniority in the particular job classification(s) affected is asked to make a
decision regarding employment status based on available options outlined on the Workforce Staffing Decision
form. Volunteering to be identified as a displaced employee is not allowed.
This would be your company policy.
Under our contract when you bumped into another classification you carried your company seniority and it all became your new seniority in that classification.
This was in the (Carolina's only) I don't know of anywhere else this applied.

Company seniority for all layoffs.
Voluntary furlough by job class seniority and if no takers and it becomes forced then bottom of seniority class are forced. Have not seen any merger since 2008 and that's anybody guess on how that works since I don't know how the Express or Ground consolidation will effect Freight seniority.
Well if there's a merger. You don't have to worry about Ground jumping ahead of you , because they are all contractors. Unless FedEx goes in and changes policy on the intranet....

W

We couldn't actually bump at will, only if they were hiring in that classification you could change.
Not at Freight either unfortunately changing from a hiring Job class puts you at the bottom also.

Some places have agreements that allow for back and forth job class changes with the understanding you go to the bottom for 1 year.
Then after 1 year at that class you fall in with your company seniority
Others have 1 seniority board and can bounce around every 6 months.

Last edited:
Well if there's a merger. You don't have to worry about Ground jumping ahead of you , because they are all contractors. Unless FedEx goes in and changes policy on the intranet....
FedEx could try to go in there and mess with the policy BUT Ground has so many part time drivers and there is no classification on if they are part time or not so definitely wouldn’t happen :shakehandsnah:

We actually had a dock guy from day 1 ( we were all hired on @ AF the same day hours of each other) jump to the top of the road board , I never thought that was right and the pillow case that was our TM said you (me) was hired for city not road. It was all B.S. and the pillow case was fired but they also lied to me (I f-ing did not hire on as a city driver) when they first hired me and that TM also was fired . So it is what it is and it's all over thank God , I'm 63 and toast , I hate people . It seems lying and TM's go hand in hand. At least I burned the two , maybe another in the end too. Seen too many bad TM's & management in my life to choke a hog.

Man, I hope nobody gets laid off. I was very fortunate to get out when I could and go into a different career. If you get laid off, there are other lines of work out there. Look into aerospace. The aerospace industry, are always looking for workers.