ODFL | Computers

did you get these fixed? the main one was GOK. The issue was fixed last week and it will let you put hooks and drops in at the drop yards.

As of today still not showing my drops at GOK,just keeping track and turning them in to my T/M,eventually this will get fixed.

Its safe to hook at GOK! finally showing our hooks on the blu unit,things don't always move fast but eventually(with constant e-mails from 4 T/M's)things get moved,we were still getting paid just having to keep track then turning numbers into T/M,at first the system would'nt even allow hooks to be manully entered,all good now!!

Good you are getting hooks. Still have bugs on variances of settings. Ex. Tractor now assigned, get different every time out, any shift above idle in low range will send out a "Sudden Acceleration" being recorded message. Shop man said it needs adjusted, have had 2 weeks. This 1st of 7 tractors run that does this.

Well three months in on the blu,seems like a good time for an update on life with the EOBR.Its actually worked quite well,the biggest problem I've experienced is the screen occasionally freezing up,usually a call to PeopleNet customer support gets things working again.One of the biggest drawbacks to getting started is a pretty casual attitude to training about the system,You'll learn basic operation,but You'll find experience,and talking to other operators will teach a whole lot more about the system.I never thought doing paper logs was a very big deal(I was never a big cheater)but the E-log feature is the greatest thing since sliced bread!!I couldnt bear the thought of going back to paper logs again!!All said even with the occasional setback I'd give the system thumbs up!!

Yeah, I'd have to say I'm pretty pleased with it as well. My biggest problem has been having to make phone calls to dispatch to send my hook cards. Seems to be a problem everytime I roll into GRB.

Yeah, I'd have to say I'm pretty pleased with it as well. My biggest problem has been having to make phone calls to dispatch to send my hook cards. Seems to be a problem everytime I roll into GRB.
Your'e still not losing any more time then the old days,dispatch never had you on the IVR at GRB either.LOL!!

Last edited by a moderator:

as long as your assigned to loads all you have to do is press F-10 for your hot keys then there is an option F-5 or F-6 can't rem that sends hook card :)

Since I've been on the BLU i can swear it's made life easier. the biggest single problem is remembering that the message you reply to is simply your dispatch with OD. The trailer and manifest numbers must always be entered manually through the BLU by you becuase that is your logbook. I couldn't tell you how many times I have forgoten this.
Currently I am more focused on keeping my RPMs and Idles to a minimum to keep my overall percentage down.

While on the subject does anyone have any more info on what actually happens to drivers for going over rpm or speed or just not having their percentage within range? I've heard so many variants its ridiculous but never have I heard or seen an official guideline.

Tfate dont know if this helps or not but talked to our safety guy to see whats up since i run in hills with heavy loads every night in a 70 MPH state. Was told there is a 5% variance built into the system because they know sometimes you need to "get on it" a little harder then usuall and sometimes you need to roll off a hill above the govenor for same reasons. Was also told since im running in a 70 MPH state that if i let the truck roll to 71-72 MPH i would be ok, 75+ mph regardless of the state and someone will want to speak with you. Our terminal still hasn't posted the numbers of any of our drivers and probably won't so its hard to see what others are doing but no one that i've heard of has had anything said to them.

Our terminal has been posting the ROI scores for three months now(modesty prevents me from naming the top scorer is for all but two weeks)we've got some pretty competetive drivers,with a couple of exceptions the individual scores have steadily gone down,as far as I know no one has received any counciling for a high ROI,yet!

I have been getting mixed information. one time I hear don't go over 65mph or 1400rpm next I'm told don't go more than 11mph over posted speed limit. I've been fairly consistant lately I try to keep it close to 1400 rpm 'next to impossible to climb some hills'. and I've just been trying to stay under 75 in the 65s no more than 65 in the 55mphs... haven't heard anything official yet.

ROI score is ok, just realize, there are a lot of factors not figured. Hills, environment, 2 lane or interstate, and load size. Some run empty or very low weight on half their run, while others in high traffic regions almost maxed. Usually in the middle at my barn. When wild, take numbers with grain of salt, just do best with conditions available. Ex. FAR to OMA with empties. 4.2 mpg. 30+ mph head/cross winds. Also, not all tractors are same. Being wild, have had sister tractors vary greatly.

The Blu has helped me prove there is a problem with my tractor. My fuel mileage went to crap and the blu backed me up on it. Our shop kept telling me there was nothing wrong with my truck, but finaly something is being done.

I run lots of stop/go, hills, big mountains, chains and whatever else you can throw in. I dont shift the truck like the 40 year old Mack I first started driving. From the fuel saving video and training we received a few years ago I took that into account and was able to see what these engines can do when driven as suggested. But do remember the computers factor in a lot more than just what your highway mpg's are to create that ROI.

I've also slowed down a little since now everything is being monitored while I'm in OD's equipment. If this is how they want things done, I'm going to continue keeping my job by putting on a good show for them and doing what they pay me to do: Be effecient and save the company $$$$.

P and D needs to do a mid day trip inspection also on the computer besides signing in and out of it it is pretty easy once you get up and running with them though. the training was a little confusing because they put training of the road and p and d together.

last week noticed I jumped 15 spots, ran midwest region, instead of western. ROI will go to heck this week. Back to middle. Today went DEN to SLC. Gust up to 55mph and steady 30+ cross winds, white outs and slick areas. Spent miles in 9th at 15 hdrd rpms because it wouldn't hold at 10 or above in high range. Down to 8th and 7th at times. Just do the best in situation given.

Just started with the blu, very little problems. As a OD Trainer, If I have a Trainee with me that means I have to log in as a TEAM operation (what a mess). If I don't have employee number of trainee my ROI goes through the roof. Never mind getting qualified in 7 days without a problem. Let me get Qualified first..... Then if I do LH got to learn that by the seat of my pants (reading Blu book cover bto cover to get by) Any suggestions would be helpful, Thanks.......

When I started training in the beginning of November the BLU's were not functional, one week later me and the trainer were trained on them together and it was pretty self explanatory for me, I'm a fan of technology, while on the other hand my trainer was struggling a bit. He was very apprehensive to the idea of having the computers monitoring everything you do and where you are at first and hated the idea of them. But we worked it out and after one week using them he was actually pleased with how efficient it made us. I do agree though it made things a little confusing when we had to log as teams when training.

The only problem Ive been having is that its been almost 2 months and I'm still not certified yet because my TM keeps telling me that I keep missing random pre/inter/post trips. I know I am very diligent in doing them, two other guys are having the same problem as well, we feel it is a problem with the system itself. but I have resorted to doing multiple pre/inter/post trips in the computer each day. In addition to just typing "OK" I am also typing the date right after to verify that I am doing them. Its been 6 straight days so far and seems to be working fine, we will see I guess.

Also if your on P&D you need to type in each trailer number for spot picks and do an inter trip on that trailer and log as "OFF DUTY" for your half hour lunch.