Yellow | Con-way Freight to boost driver wages early next year; first big nonunion LTL trucker

Freightmaster1

TB Legend
Credits
Today's announcement comes two weeks after a little more than 100 employees at Con-way Freight's service center in Laredo, Texas, voted for union representation by the Teamsters, the first union shop in the company's 31-year history. In addition, the Teamsters will hold representation elections on Oct. 23 at Con-way Freight terminals in Los Angeles, Santa Fe Springs, and Pacoima, Calif., which comprise the unit's footprint in greater Los Angeles. The National Labor Relations Act (NLRA), the federal law governing labor relations in the trucking industry, requires that organizing be done on a terminal-by-terminal basis. Con-way Freight has 273 terminals across the United States.

It is illegal to offer wage increases as a way of influencing a union vote. However, with one terminal in the union fold and three more, including stations in the country's second-largest population center, considering similar moves, it may not be surprising that the company would take steps to keep its work force happy. "Laredo got their attention," said Benjamin J. Hartford, analyst at the investment firm Robert W. Baird & Co.

Con-way Freight to boost driver wages early next year; first big nonunion LTL trucker to act – DC Velocity

:bouncy:

Today's announcement comes two weeks after a little more than 100 employees at Con-way Freight's service center in Laredo, Texas, voted for union representation by the Teamsters, the first union shop in the company's 31-year history. In addition, the Teamsters will hold representation elections on Oct. 23 at Con-way Freight terminals in Los Angeles, Santa Fe Springs, and Pacoima, Calif., which comprise the unit's footprint in greater Los Angeles. The National Labor Relations Act (NLRA), the federal law governing labor relations in the trucking industry, requires that organizing be done on a terminal-by-terminal basis. Con-way Freight has 273 terminals across the United States.

It is illegal to offer wage increases as a way of influencing a union vote. However, with one terminal in the union fold and three more, including stations in the country's second-largest population center, considering similar moves, it may not be surprising that the company would take steps to keep its work force happy. "Laredo got their attention," said Benjamin J. Hartford, analyst at the investment firm Robert W. Baird & Co.

Con-way Freight to boost driver wages early next year; first big nonunion LTL trucker to act – DC Velocity

:bouncy:

Not entirely true about being the first union shop. Conway Eastern Express was Teamster until Conway shut it down when the Teamsters refused concessions. Conway Eastern Express was the former Penn Yan Express, a Teamster line that Conway purchased and renamed Conway Eastern Express. Eventually Conway Central Express moved into the East and finally all were combined into the present day Conway.

Con-way Freight plans $60 million LTL driver pay hike

The additional $60 million in compensation equates to about a 6 percent pay increase for Con-way Freight drivers, according to SJ Consulting Group.

The new pay structure is the last step in a transition away from multiple legacy pay plans left over from the days before the national LTL carrier was created by the merger of three separate regional carriers, Greg Lehmkuhl, president of Con-way Freight, said in a statement.

“Our simplified pay structure enables us to more effectively align driver pay with the market-based cost of labor, and provides increased flexibility to react to market conditions over time so we can ensure our drivers’ compensation remains competitive,” he said.

Con-way Freight also is facing an organizing campaign led by the Teamsters union. On Sept. 12, 113 Con-way Freight drivers and dockworkers in Laredo, Texas, voted to join the Teamsters — making Laredo the only unionized facility among Con-way’s 300 terminals. The Teamsters are calling for elections at three Southern California terminals as well.

Con-way Freight plans $60 million LTL driver pay hike | JOC.com

:icon_dance:

Not entirely true about being the first union shop. Conway Eastern Express was Teamster until Conway shut it down when the Teamsters refused concessions. Conway Eastern Express was the former Penn Yan Express, a Teamster line that Conway purchased and renamed Conway Eastern Express. Eventually Conway Central Express moved into the East and finally all were combined into the present day Conway.

I liked when they told CF teamsters don't worry we will NEVER link it up & run coast to coast...

it is true. You are referring to former names. Its present name is Conway Freight. How nice,CF for short.

Throwing them a bone,huh... I don't think they will fall for it.. Putting a bandaid on a gaping wound usually doesn't work... There are other freight carriers out there that need help getting started on voting too..

Yeah, but wasn't Penn Yan already a Teamster shop...

it is true. You are referring to former names. Its present name is Conway Freight. How nice,CF for short.

If you are referring to the original article with your statement that "it is true" then you are wrong. The article is not entirely correct as I stated and for the reasons I stated. As per the article, the company (regardless of the precise name) has a 31 year history and during that time it did have Teamster representation at a portion of its operations.

Then that's not the first.. It was existing... They had no intentions of keeping it union...

Of course it was the first, so what if it was existing. The statement I disagreed with was "the first union shop in the company's 31-year history". That statement is incorrect. It doesn't say the "first shop to be organized by Teamsters". If it did, I would agree, but that's not what it said. Words have meaning.

Of course it was the first, so what if it was existing. The statement I disagreed with was "the first union shop in the company's 31-year history". That statement is incorrect. It doesn't say the "first shop to be organized by Teamsters". If it did, I would agree, but that's not what it said. Words have meaning.

No way, really... I'm unedumacated so I try to find smart people to hang around wiff.... Would you hang out wiff me... Movin' on driva...

No way, really... I'm unedumacated so I try to find smart people to hang around wiff.... Would you hang out wiff me... Movin' on driva...

Of course I'll hang out with you. Just think what we could accomplish if we both put our superior intellects together. :LMAO: :hysterical: :biglaugh:

If it was existing it is part of its history.so it was first.words have meanings. So does spinoffs, mergers& linkups.

The Teamsters can get authorization cards signed and hold representation votes until doomsday. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there hasn't been a SUCCESSFUL organization since deregulation in which the company began contributions to ANY multi-employer pension fund. With all the uncertainty surrounding multi-employer pensions, it is unlikely the Teamsters will be able to convince new members to join those funds. Wages and conditions are comparable (when the entire package is considered) at nearly all LTL carriers regardless of whether it's union or not. It's a little late to close the barn door, there are only two cows left now!

If it was existing it is part of its history.so it was first.words have meanings. So does spinoffs, mergers& linkups.

If Conway signed the re-up on the contract then yes, but I was under the impression that the union was done when they rearranged after the buyout..

If Conway signed the re-up on the contract then yes, but I was under the impression that the union was done when they rearranged after the buyout..

How many more ways are folks going to try to twist this issue into something other than what the original statement said - "the first union shop in the company's 31-year history". The statement is not true. CEX was Teamster. I ran road trips for CEX in the 1980's as a Teamster. Laredo is not the first union shop. Case closed.