FedEx Freight | Dock Pictures

Instead of bragging about all the great things you did to fix someone's mistake why didn't you fix it the right way? Just because someone was too lazy to do their job correctly did you need to shortcut your re-work as well? This isn't fixing a problem is passing it on the next guy.

Must've been your stuff I had to fix. I did fix it the right way, Sunshine. I always do. I get paid by the hour, not by the bill. I treat this stuff like it was my own because I know somebody paid for it and they need it for their business or home and they trusted us to get it to them undamaged.

I don't care if I spend 1 hour in a trailer or all 8. I don't even mind the recoups. Throw on some tunes and get to it.

If I wanted, I could very easily make this a problem for the next guy. Tell supe to make it head load or just pull it out and drop it in a bay. Either way, nobody would say anything about it and that's one of my points here.

Don't you worry your pretty little head though. I send these pictures to upper management now along with where they came from. I usually get cookie cutter responses, but I'm doing what I can.

What do you do for the next guy?

Must've been your stuff I had to fix. I did fix it the right way, Sunshine. I always do. I get paid by the hour, not by the bill. I treat this stuff like it was my own because I know somebody paid for it and they need it for their business or home and they trusted us to get it to them undamaged.

I don't care if I spend 1 hour in a trailer or all 8. I don't even mind the recoups. Throw on some tunes and get to it.

If I wanted, I could very easily make this a problem for the next guy. Tell supe to make it head load or just pull it out and drop it in a bay. Either way, nobody would say anything about it and that's one of my points here.

Don't you worry your pretty little head though. I send these pictures to upper management now along with where they came from. I usually get cookie cutter responses, but I'm doing what I can.

What do you do for the next guy?
You are complaining about the way someone loaded it and how they didn't throw decking boards in there. Why didn't you? It is a problem for the next guy now. One strap to the far wall still gives it plenty of room to bounce on the other freight. Nothing is keeping it from doing anything other than not hitting the right wall again.

After 25 years in the business I may not have done everything but I have seen everything. One thing I can guarantee is the fact one thing stayed constant regardless of what position a guy held. It was the same as I worked my way through working as a PT dock guy, to FT, to W&R, to LH dispatch, to Dock sup, one all shifts, to city dispatch, to OM, and finally as a TM. The ones that need to tell you how great they are are doing it because no one is noticing. Why aren't they noticing? The ones actually doing their job well don't have to say anything and are too busy doing said job. The same thing applies to dock workers, drivers, supervisors, and management. The ones tooting their own horn the most are typically closer to the bottom third production wise.

You are complaining about the way someone loaded it and how they didn't throw decking boards in there. Why didn't you? It is a problem for the next guy now. One strap to the far wall still gives it plenty of room to bounce on the other freight. Nothing is keeping it from doing anything other than not hitting the right wall again.

After 25 years in the business I may not have done everything but I have seen everything. One thing I can guarantee is the fact one thing stayed constant regardless of what position a guy held. It was the same as I worked my way through working as a PT dock guy, to FT, to W&R, to LH dispatch, to Dock sup, one all shifts, to city dispatch, to OM, and finally as a TM. The ones that need to tell you how great they are are doing it because no one is noticing. Why aren't they noticing? The ones actually doing their job well don't have to say anything and are too busy doing said job. The same thing applies to dock workers, drivers, supervisors, and management. The ones tooting their own horn the most are typically closer to the bottom third production wise.
There’s the problem,someone trying to be the most “productive “ and not doing the job right the first time.

There’s the problem,someone trying to be the most “productive “ and not doing the job right the first time.
99.9% of the time the consistently top producers are doing it right. The ones thinking if they cut corners it will speed them up are way off base. Every short cut catches up with you eventually. They might lead the dock in production one night a week but for a month they will be mid pack and still bragging about how great they are. I watched it happen over and over again at every company I worked for.

After 25 years in the business I may not have done everything but I have seen everything. One thing I can guarantee is the fact one thing stayed constant regardless of what position a guy held. It was the same as I worked my way through working as a PT dock guy, to FT, to W&R, to LH dispatch, to Dock sup, one all shifts, to city dispatch, to OM, and finally as a TM.

The trailer was an unload.... Why would I put up decking to unload it?

You're a TM... makes sense now. Did one of my emails get you a phone call? Why don't you focus on the nonsense that has to get fixed? Do you just choose not to? You should really do something about the reweigh/dimension fraud going on. I'm waiting for that class action to pop up.

Depends on what scale of production you're referring to. If it's BPH, then probably, but according to company policy that doesn't matter. It's all about safety and proper set up for the next guy. That's what I focus on. It's no secret I don't care about BPH and I make that very clear to supervisors, dock workers and other drivers. In my experience, people that try to run the most BPH are usually the most disgruntled and damage the most freight.

Supervisors notice what I do because I tell them what I do. There's a reason for that. First, you let them know you're going to be on red for a while doing a recoup. Second, I make them make a fuss over these trailers because if they don't, I will and they don't want that.

Why are you encouraging fixing someone else's mistakes? That's a huge part of the problem here, which makes you a huge part of the problem. Instead of correcting this behavior, you let them do it.

Congratulations, you spent 25 years promoting "can't someone else do it". Good job.

The trailer was an unload.... Why would I put up decking to unload it?

You're a TM... makes sense now. Did one of my emails get you a phone call? Why don't you focus on the nonsense that has to get fixed? Do you just choose not to? You should really do something about the reweigh/dimension fraud going on. I'm waiting for that class action to pop up.

Depends on what scale of production you're referring to. If it's BPH, then probably, but according to company policy that doesn't matter. It's all about safety and proper set up for the next guy. That's what I focus on. It's no secret I don't care about BPH and I make that very clear to supervisors, dock workers and other drivers. In my experience, people that try to run the most BPH are usually the most disgruntled and damage the most freight.

Supervisors notice what I do because I tell them what I do. There's a reason for that. First, you let them know you're going to be on red for a while doing a recoup. Second, I make them make a fuss over these trailers because if they don't, I will and they don't want that.

Why are you encouraging fixing someone else's mistakes? That's a huge part of the problem here, which makes you a huge part of the problem. Instead of correcting this behavior, you let them do it.

Congratulations, you spent 25 years promoting "can't someone else do it". Good job.
Amen brother. Another tm beating his own drum. Just keep sending the pictures eventually you might get some management that will rectify the issue instead blaming someone who actually cares.

It seems like I see stuff daily that makes me wonder if anybody on the dock is held accountable. I'll share them with you guys as they pop up. Here's the first one

20210720_212944.md.jpg

A 900 pound skid loaded on top of flammable liquid. No strap or anything to hold it in place and no dunnage to prevent damaging the bottom skid upon removal.
Hey it's floor loaded

99.9% of the time the consistently top producers are doing it right. The ones thinking if they cut corners it will speed them up are way off base. Every short cut catches up with you eventually. They might lead the dock in production one night a week but for a month they will be mid pack and still bragging about how great they are. I watched it happen over and over again at every company I worked for.

Keep watching instead of fixing it.

Have had this discussion many times. It was a problem when I was a new college grad doing PR for a regional LTL 15 years ago. Focus too much on BPH and damaged freight will be the result. Which, we were preaching on all our employee communications back then to take your time loading and do it right. But that was the height of the Great Recession and you were preaching to employees who had been taught for years to focus on BPH. It's like trying to turn around the Titanic. Add the pressure from bean-counters to keep labor costs low, and it's no wonder the messaging is as inconsistent as the results.

There are a lot of nights where I'll work a maximum of 2 trailers in a three-hour relay shift. I'm trying to do it right, not do it fast. If a dock sup wants to complain, they know how to climb down from their dock stand and help me throw beams and straps.

I've seen terminals where supervisors give a damn about good loading. Those are the places where supes get in the trailers all night to strategize the loads, secure freight, and seal trailers instead of staring at a computer all night. Either way, I'm gonna try to build trailers I can be proud of.

Question for you, S69: How do you not get in trouble for having a cell phone out taking photos on the dock? I've been cautioned time and time again that I'll get written up if I do that.

.Question for you, S69: How do you not get in trouble for having a cell phone out taking photos on the dock? I've been cautioned time and time again that I'll get written up if I do that.

It started out because I would go to a supervisor to let them know what's going on. Most of them would say "take a picture for me" instead of just walking to the trailer. Instead of bringing my phone to them, I text them the picture. It sets a precedent. It's proof that they told me to take the picture because they reply. They think I'm being lazy, but I'm actually collecting receipts.

There's ways around a write up. I'm vocal about welcoming all write ups. Please do it, because I can't wait to get my pen on that statement form. I also take a picture of all statement forms. I document everything.

I build relationships with other employees. I help everybody until you give me a reason to not help you. I've helped apprentices for hours on my time with pretrips, explaining how brakes work and being a driver that's there while they practice they're backing. Now, I have a support system. I see you doing a recoup, I'll drop what I'm doing and help instead of just driving by making a stupid comment. That builds a support system and encourages a team environment. They can't take on the entire team.

I also don't deal with local management. It's pointless because they're all friends that came up together. I go regional and ethics line because that's how you get their attention. I've learned that it puts a target on your back, but they're afraid to do anything about it because I'll go right back and cry retaliation to anybody that will listen and I'll keep going up the ladder until I can't go any higher.

And I don't care if I get fired. I'll be fine. FedEx can fire me today and I'll be somewhere else in 2 weeks. Not a big deal.

Have had this discussion many times. It was a problem when I was a new college grad doing PR for a regional LTL 15 years ago. Focus too much on BPH and damaged freight will be the result. Which, we were preaching on all our employee communications back then to take your time loading and do it right. But that was the height of the Great Recession and you were preaching to employees who had been taught for years to focus on BPH. It's like trying to turn around the Titanic. Add the pressure from bean-counters to keep labor costs low, and it's no wonder the messaging is as inconsistent as the results.

There are a lot of nights where I'll work a maximum of 2 trailers in a three-hour relay shift. I'm trying to do it right, not do it fast. If a dock sup wants to complain, they know how to climb down from their dock stand and help me throw beams and straps.

I've seen terminals where supervisors give a damn about good loading. Those are the places where supes get in the trailers all night to strategize the loads, secure freight, and seal trailers instead of staring at a computer all night. Either way, I'm gonna try to build trailers I can be proud of.

Question for you, S69: How do you not get in trouble for having a cell phone out taking photos on the dock? I've been cautioned time and time again that I'll get written up if I do that.
All terminals have digital cameras and are to be used by the dock supervisors and operations mgmt for feedback to the centers where poor quality loads are originating. Any driver or dockerworker has to do is request pictures taken of poor loads and ask for follow up. If you don't get any results because nobody on your management team cares feel free to call the managing director for your region. These upper mgmt phone numbers are on the bulletin boards at every center.

All terminals have digital cameras and are to be used by the dock supervisors and operations mgmt for feedback to the centers where poor quality loads are originating. Any driver or dockerworker has to do is request pictures taken of poor loads and ask for follow up. If you don't get any results because nobody on your management team cares feel free to call the managing director for your region. These upper mgmt phone numbers are on the bulletin boards at every center.
Good info, thanks.

I wish my driver handheld had access to the app those dock supes use to take photos and forward them to management. That'd be handy to document a lot of this bullshit.

You are assuming it wasn't fixed. may be tough to figure out but stuff has to actually happen before it can be fixed. "Watching" it happen is the first step.

Preventing it is the first step. If you're watching it happen, it's already happening and too late. After 25 years, you should be way ahead of the game, but it's pretty clear like other TMs you lack leadership skills. You must be one of the ones that failed up.

Preventing it is the first step. If you're watching it happen, it's already happening and too late. After 25 years, you should be way ahead of the game, but it's pretty clear like other TMs you lack leadership skills. You must be one of the ones that failed up.
How do you fix something that hasn't happened before? I guess when you were trained you instantly knew everything. Of course you did because you are a gift to the industry and FedEx is blessed to have someone of your caliber.

Here is another newsflash for you. Not every TM, OM, Sup, or person in general is out to get you.

How do you fix something that hasn't happened before? I guess when you were trained you instantly knew everything. Of course you did because you are a gift to the industry and FedEx is blessed to have someone of your caliber.

Here is another newsflash for you. Not every TM, OM, Sup, or person in general is out to get you.

Never said they were.

Not a gift to the industry, but I ask questions and have common sense. I also do well with acclimating to the culture. I'm also a hard worker and I have integrity.

How do you fix something that hasn't happened before? Yesterday you said
After 25 years in the business I may not have done everything but I have seen everything.

You don't plan to fail, you fail to plan.

As large as FedEx is and as old as it is, what hasn't already happened? FedEx has a policy for everything.

As the TM, you set the tone for your building. That means "good job" when somebody does well and disciplinary action for those that deserve it. You have to be seen and accessible, not locked in your office until it's time to go home. Management sets the "us vs them" tone because they follow company policy when it's convenient for them. The rest of the time, it's do as say not as I do.

Management sets the "us vs them" tone because they follow company policy when it's convenient for them. The rest of the time, it's do as say not as I do.
S69 ,my TM was deaf and could not hear tones . I think it falls under The Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 or ADA .