FedEx Freight | Dolly policy?

nasvegas

TB Veteran
Credits
Need some help if you can drivers. What is the dolly policy? We have a shortage in Nashville. I thought if you didn't slipseat, and there was a shortage you were to drop you dolly off at pool.

We have senior extra board keeping dollies on their trucks so junior drivers are having to get dollies off trucks. One driver was told today not to remove dollies from trucks by management. Is this favoritism? I know myself I am not going to pull one of those old red national dollies if there is another option on the yard.

Thanks for yalls imput.

Need some help if you can drivers. What is the dolly policy? We have a shortage in Nashville. I thought if you didn't slipseat, and there was a shortage you were to drop you dolly off at pool.

We have senior extra board keeping dollies on their trucks so junior drivers are having to get dollies off trucks. One driver was told today not to remove dollies from trucks by management. Is this favoritism? I know myself I am not going to pull one of those old red national dollies if there is another option on the yard.

Thanks for yalls imput.
Don't think there is a policy.

If you need it take it, name on the equipment says Fedex, not the drivers.

It is however common courtesy to put things back where they were when done though, but if someone whines that ***** going back in the pool.

And if Management said a word, I'd tell them fine, dispatch me singled out then because of lack of equipment, they can sort out their poor choices with central.

It is however common courtesy to put things back where they were when done though, but if someone whines that ***** going back in the pool.

And if Management said a word, I'd tell them fine, dispatch me singled out then because of lack of equipment, they can sort out their poor choices with central.
I agree but a OM told driver to quit taking dollies off trucks. So what do you do?

Was there a pool of available dollies and someone was still taking them off trucks? If someone has been told not to do it and then continues to do it, that would be failure to follow instruction.

Thanks for yalls imput.
Digging through my cobwebs I do believe there is a policy. If memory serves me correctly dollies are to left in a pool not on the truck. Although most centers don’t have the room to put a dolly pool so we just keep them on the back of the truck. Not much help for ya Nas.

Was there a pool of available dollies and someone was still taking them off trucks? If someone has been told not to do it and then continues to do it, that would be failure to follow instruction.
There were 3 old red national dollies from what I was told. I don't use them either unless there is no other option.

Old national dollies
1. Are not counter balanced well.
2. Are notorious for stabbing rear pups.
3. The fifth wheel release fails alot, and have had to hold the release out while someone else pulled forward. "Very safe"

Why should someone be forced to use a unsafe dolly when that driver has gone home for the day?

If you need a dolly you just need a dolly ! I'm not gonna wait for one to come in or for the shop to fix me one up. I agree its annoying to come in and find you have no dolly but that's the game. It would be nice however to put the tractor back in its assigned spot which is what I do.

Thanks for yalls imput.
Never remove your Dollie from your truck.

DA10B81D-336F-449A-ACE6-B0F23C829A4C.md.jpeg

If you need a dolly you just need a dolly ! I'm not gonna wait for one to come in or for the shop to fix me one up. I agree its annoying to come in and find you have no dolly but that's the game. It would be nice however to put the tractor back in its assigned spot which is what I do.
I agree. The problem is management is telling drivers not to take dollies off trucks. Even if there is nothing but crappie national dollies.

I will take a dolly in a minute. Just wanting to know policy when they try corrective action.

I agree this place can be maddening. Talk about cognitive dissonance. We had a written notice from the road mgr posted in the dispatch window along with a intermec message saying not to take dollies off of tractors about 7 or 8 years ago. However when it was time for the rubber to meet the road (no pun intended) that quickly went out the window when gate times had to be met and operational needs required a dolly. The same mgr tired of having drivers complain there were no dollies in the pool quietly looked the other way. I'm at the point to where if they told me to break all of the windows out I would do it with a smile and continue to pick up my check every Friday.

There were 3 old red national dollies from what I was told. I don't use them either unless there is no other option.

Old national dollies
1. Are not counter balanced well.
2. Are notorious for stabbing rear pups.
3. The fifth wheel release fails alot, and have had to hold the release out while someone else pulled forward. "Very safe"

Why should someone be forced to use an unsafe dolly when that driver has gone home for the day?
Those old National Dolly’s are garbage. I agree if that’s all that’s left find a decent one off a truck.

Last edited:
I agree but a OM told driver to quit taking dollies off trucks. So what do you do?
Call Central and have them rip the OM a new one. Try to get inside to watch said OM on the phone with a Mgr from Central. Funny how the color of their face changes along with their demeanor! Very satisfying. As stated before Says FedEx on the Equipment. Same OM won't think twice about giving your assigned road tractor to brand new driver to go to the railhead or whatever just before you start. Even though there might be 30 city tractors sitting out there. Geez what a S##t show they turn it Into over simple stuff.

I’ll trade you the National crap for this d101. It has this handle with a crank and a wheel that somehow spun down and the wheel dragged for the last 250 miles and the stupid thing won’t roll no more. WTH
I prefer west coast dollies. They usually have the best tires. Never get stolen because everyone scared of passenger side release. Just do your post trip backwards. If you do one.

The tire thing is for real. As are brakes and ridiculously wide mudflaps.

Generally, my order for Dolly selection is:

1) series (weighting etc)
2) tires
3) brakes
4) chain clasps
5) fifth wheel manufacturer
6) hubs (greased, inflators?)

What else do you look for?