XPO | Double standards.... backbelts

They're coming to take me away HA HA!:hide::biglaugh:

bh.gif

A terminal manager that was visiting a reship, as part of the pride program, rolling 55 gal. drums on a pallet without a backbelt. The sad thing is that everyone knows, including management that back belts do absolutely nothing except make you very uncomfortable and sweat more. Its been proven by people who promote safety, that back belts do nothing to help your back. But.... if they want us to wear them, they should have to wear them. Period.

I do not know where you get your data from, nor do i care..i can offer you information about how exactly a backbelt does work...i will offer you this information based upon my own experiences with them while continuously working with degenerative disc disease of my L4/L5 disc caused by a 686# skid of freight smashing me into a trailer wall at XCV in Jan 2000. The skid was pushed off on me by an FOS...

The backbelt distributes the weight around to your abdomen muscles as your abdomen muscles should do this themselves...but, we are becoming a more "lazy" (lack of better word) society in America on a daily basis...this has been explained to me by a Neurosugeon, and 2 orthopeadic back doctors here in the Hartford, CT area...my regular orthopedic doctor explained his goal to me for me to drop the belly, excerise the abdomen muscles to gradualy allow me to not wear the backbelt even at my house while doing such menial tasks as mowing my yard..this is all to prolong my eventual surgery as long as possible...

Now my personal experiences...when i need a back belt it helps with controlling the increase of my continual pain...when i do not need the back belt it contributes to the continual pain and often time aggravates it...

Does everyone need a backbelt? No one person or even an entity can so claim that...what they can claim is that backbelts do help the majority of the lazier by the day Americans working increasingly tougher jobs...with that the insurance companies can offer discounts to employers for mandating backbelt wearing...as can reducing the potential for workmen's comp claims...

Complaining about the backbelts is a moot issue in corporate america and will probably remain so for rest of our natural lives...when you do wear one if it causes discomfort, loosen it to where it almost falls off, that is what i do...more times then not, i find it does me more good now to wear it then to not wear it...there was a time in my recent past (most of 2006 when my level of degeneration suddenly increased) where i had to wear it from the time i got to work until i left and was sitting in my own vehicle (often times i wore it on the way home as well)...

Value what you have in your back today..protect it at all costs...i am only 46 years old and now face life of permanent restrictions which will cost me my job and more then likely my driving career (of which i really really love)...a backbelt was worn when i got smashed and i do not think it did anything to help me out, but i do not now nor will i ever know, but i can say with certainty that it didnt cause, nor contribute to my central protrusion...

I think you do care.......

Where I got the info. Just Google "do backbelts work". You'll find a ton of info. As for your case, I can see were a backbelt would make you feel better. Your backs already injured, and the belt would help give you some support. But as for lifting, backbelts do nothing. The best thing you can do for your back is, lift properly and excercise. I dont like to wear backbelts, because their uncomfortable and dont work. I will wear my backbelt because Im told to and its company policy. Im just saying if this is about safety, the company should be concerned enough to make anyone who does any physical labor or lifting, wear one. Including white shirts. But they dont. Lead by example. I know a lot of you company boys take this as whining, but its not. Im just concerned about the safety of my team mates.

From my understanding. Back belts will NOT prevent a back injury. It only promotes proper lifting habits, by keeping the back erect as you squat down and lift with your legs.

Now I am reading that back belts do not necessarily promote proper lifting habits.

As strong as we are, we can still bend with our backs and defeat the purpose of the back belt. (Providing proper posture)

Even though extensive studies have been done, the results cannot support or refute the effectiveness of back belts in injury reduction.
My take on this? It's in Con-ways court and they choose to make you wear them or face disciplinary action up to and including termination. Maybe one day when they have nothing to do they will analyze the effectiveness of back belts and finally get rid of them. Might be a good money saving initiative.:hide:

Here are some links provided from previous back belt topics:
BACK BELTS: Do They Prevent Injury? The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH)

Do Back Belts Prevent Spine Injury?

Where I got the info. Just Google "do backbelts work". You'll find a ton of info. As for your case, I can see were a backbelt would make you feel better. Your backs already injured, and the belt would help give you some support. But as for lifting, backbelts do nothing. The best thing you can do for your back is, lift properly and excercise. I dont like to wear backbelts, because their uncomfortable and dont work. I will wear my backbelt because Im told to and its company policy. Im just saying if this is about safety, the company should be concerned enough to make anyone who does any physical labor or lifting, wear one. Including white shirts. But they dont. Lead by example. I know a lot of you company boys take this as whining, but its not. Im just concerned about the safety of my team mates.

i agree..i also think any management walking the parking lots during re-ship operations should have to wear a reflective vest...they make the hostlers wear them, and i have lost count how many times i almost nailed someone other then a DSR snooping around in the parking lot...doesnt make sense to me...during a pride review thing, there will be two or so guys out snooping around the trailers and such wearing jackets and not paying any attention to where they are in the slightest...safety is an all level approach...not just for DSR's...

any idiot who would walk the yard at night without one is....one wrench short in the toolbox...(sorry, the best I could come up with in a moment's notice...

Double standards...speed

Our salesforce and management level people have company supplied cars and DSRs have the company tractors. The tractors are turned down to 62mph to save fuel, why not the cars? Let's go full GREEN!:1036316054:

any idiot who would walk the yard at night without one is....one wrench short in the toolbox...(sorry, the best I could come up with in a moment's notice...

Being a hostler...i can assure you it happens, and it happens routinely...especially anytime there is a pride review, or any RM visit to the FAC's I work/worked and hostled in the past...XAB, XNJ, XLJ, and XCV. XNJ was the worst when we first opened...nightly there was the RM and at least 1-2 SCM's from elsewhere wondering the grounds...when Lew D/RM for XNJ ever visits XNJ, you can count on him and the XNJ SCM walking around...there was the FOM (now FOS at XCV) who was always outside, I will give it to him though, he was always looking to clean and make sure things were done, like chalk blocks and such...are they idiots? I dont think so..it is easy to get caught up and just not think about things like that, especially when working out of your normal house of the day...that is where a safety vest would come in...i think the average FOS at the FAC should be wearing one as well...how many times are they walking around talking on the radio trying to get moves done and not paying a bit of attention as to where or who they are walking in front or behind...and lets face it...some of them are not the brightest light bulbs in the light bulb isle...

Safety for management should be as important and equal to the safety requirement of the non-salaried staff...why does the greeter at XNJ have to wear a reflective vest to walk out to the greeter shack and an FOS doesnt? What makes the FOS immune from being smashed by a truck?

Our salesforce and management level people have company supplied cars and DSRs have the company tractors. The tractors are turned down to 62mph to save fuel, why not the cars? Let's go full GREEN!:1036316054:

There are many many answers for this seemingly simple question...my answer would be...because it would cost them more money to monitor that and the management is "trusted" staff so why waste the money?...

french?

Pardonnez-moi, didn' ; moyen de t d'être tellement vers le bas et dehors retentissant. Vous ressemblez à d'un bon directeur pour travailler pour. :1036316054: (Pardon me, didn't mean to be so down and out sounding. You sound like a good manager to work for.)

SCM it'll be! :smilie_132:

french huh? and i assume the scm understands since you were addressing him.... what part of the country are you guys from?

moi aussi je parle francais

En fait, je suis irlandais, allemand, des États-Unis et l'Inde. Nous parlons ici redneck dans l'Arkansas.

I've never spoke French in my life LOL!!

hahah funny.... funny you say ireland, i was just looking up loch ness monster stuff jsut for run....oh wait no that's scotland....
lol im a typical american