ABF | Driver-facing Cameras

Just got off the phone with Coop. After-Christmas sale includes free mowing service for one month from billylo with purchase of the Extend-O-Visor Deluxe Model 3. I jumped on it. The visor will be here Friday, billy arrives Saturday.

I opted for the full Wrap Around Visor with Improved Air Holes,...to prevent that pesky asphyxiation that plagued last year's model....With the Snowshovel Waxing and Sharpening included in the deal......
We live in Pittsburgh.....don't need no Lawn Mowing for at least 4 months........

Just got off the phone with Coop. After-Christmas sale includes free mowing service for one month from billylo with purchase of the Extend-O-Visor Deluxe Model 3. I jumped on it. The visor will be here Friday, billy arrives Saturday.

Don't forget to ask for your discount................... you know Dave!

Drove a new freightliner this week I see they have a actual cover made to block the driver view on the camera. Guess they still have hopes of them getting the ok to use them....
Ok on the cover. But how do you block the reflected image of the driver on the window that the forward facing lens picks up as clear as daylight? Just playing devils advocate. von.

Tha
Ok on the cover. But how do you block the reflected image of the driver on the window that the forward facing lens picks up as clear as daylight? Just playing devils advocate. von.
That I don’t know, I had it one day in the city as a loaner. A road driver would be one to answer....

Why would a......."driver"........steal the Driver-Facing Camera cover? If enough are....."stolen"......does that mean the company will make the point that the Driver-Facing Camera doesn't matter,....because most drivers are unconcerned with the covers removed,....?

It would be a......rotten trick,.......if someone other than a....driver,......was removing these covers,....Slowly, one-at-a-time,.....

Just so the company can justify the camera use,...because "It doesn't seem to matter....." to the drivers.

That would also provide Cover for the ongoing Teamster negotiating team....They could say: "It doesn't seem to matter to our members....Look! Most of the covers are missing!...."

Should Road drivers...(...and City drivers temporarily driving new equipment...)....refuse to drive trucks with missing equipment that is still in negotiation? Should the missing camera cover be written up on the VCR? Should Stewards start getting documentation/copies of VCR's,...to start building a case that.......someone other than drivers are removing camera covers?

Should Drivers start carrying Duct Tape,....to replace the missing equipment? Along with the write-ups from the previous drivers?
We all know what a Dispatcher would say if you complained about the missing Camera cover........"Go drive it! Doesn't affect safety!".

Anyone able to get a Statement from both Upper Management and the Union about ...Vandalization of Company Equipment of an Item in Negotiations? Management put out a few Company Directives about drivers stealing the Mack Steering Wheel emblem,...threatening discipline for that sort of ....Vandalism.

The company should be taking this....Vandalization.......just as serious. As should the Union.........

Why would a......."driver"........steal the Driver-Facing Camera cover? If enough are....."stolen"......does that mean the company will make the point that the Driver-Facing Camera doesn't matter,....because most drivers are unconcerned with the covers removed,....?

It would be a......rotten trick,.......if someone other than a....driver,......was removing these covers,....Slowly, one-at-a-time,.....

Just so the company can justify the camera use,...because "It doesn't seem to matter....." to the drivers.

That would also provide Cover for the ongoing Teamster negotiating team....They could say: "It doesn't seem to matter to our members....Look! Most of the covers are missing!...."

Should Road drivers...(...and City drivers temporarily driving new equipment...)....refuse to drive trucks with missing equipment that is still in negotiation? Should the missing camera cover be written up on the VCR? Should Stewards start getting documentation/copies of VCR's,...to start building a case that.......someone other than drivers are removing camera covers?

Should Drivers start carrying Duct Tape,....to replace the missing equipment? Along with the write-ups from the previous drivers?
We all know what a Dispatcher would say if you complained about the missing Camera cover........"Go drive it! Doesn't affect safety!".

Anyone able to get a Statement from both Upper Management and the Union about ...Vandalization of Company Equipment of an Item in Negotiations? Management put out a few Company Directives about drivers stealing the Mack Steering Wheel emblem,...threatening discipline for that sort of ....Vandalism.

The company should be taking this....Vandalization.......just as serious. As should the Union.........

I have a camera in my tractor that has tape on it. I have seen the company video of that camera and the tape completely stops the driver from being seen. These units get VERY hot and I think the company is replacing the tape that melts with plastic covers, but some "drivers" feel they need to have their "own" cover so they take them to put them in whatever truck they are driving.
Just like guys taking a PDA out of a truck because they want that "one"
You know the guys I'm talking about the "mesters"

Also there is no reflection of the driver in the windshield for the camera to see.

Carry that badge:..."Fair Weather Driver".....with Honor. It means your judgement, experience and....care for company equipment......was much higher than that low-paid, daylight 9 to 5, plush-bottomed dispatcher sitting in his overly warm chair....
.....whose Life, Livelihood, and Driving record wasn't on the line.......

Easy to...dispatch someone out in icy, slippery conditions,....Especially when you...risk nothing.........

That's why they paid you the.....Big Bucks.......More than your Driving Skills,...your Judgement of Conditions, and willingness to handle ALL the Liability, once off Company Property,.....
....Those are the main reasons you were compensated much higher than the Deadwood sitting behind the Dispatch desk.....

You and I are Retired,.........and I'll bet you've received more than a few..."offers"....to drive Truck for some Fly-By-Night.....

And I know you tell them just what I tell them..........."You Can't Afford Me..."

Looking @ your post again, I know ABF hired me partially on my previous safe driving record. If I had tried to be a 'Super Trucker' & driven in bad weather, the odds are I would not have the sterling driving record when ABF looked @ me. And they most assuredly would not have approved my hiring. In 1998 the year I hired on, leaving off a minor traffic infraction would disqualify you from being hired. Now days, maybe their process is not so rigid. Von.

Looking @ your post again, I know ABF hired me partially on my previous safe driving record. If I had tried to be a 'Super Trucker' & driven in bad weather, the odds are I would not have the sterling driving record when ABF looked @ me. And they most assuredly would not have approved my hiring. In 1998 the year I hired on, leaving off a minor traffic infraction would disqualify you from being hired. Now days, maybe their process is not so rigid. Von.
If ABF is like XPO, if you have a CDL and a pulse you're hired:lmao:

I was told in 1992 when ABF hired me, that......ABF took 100 applications, approved 10, hired one.......

Whether I was getting Sunshine pumped up my Fundamental canal back then was very probable.......

But,...by the time I retired in 2017,...their standards had definitely dropped.

I was told in 1992 when ABF hired me, that......ABF took 100 applications, approved 10, hired one.......

Whether I was getting Sunshine pumped up my Fundamental canal back then was very probable.......

But,...by the time I retired in 2017,...their standards had definitely dropped.
The promises of the benefits that ABF pays for in many areas has declined so attracting drivers becomes more difficult. It's not the drivers fault or ABF's. It's the reality of the industry and world today unfortunately.

I have a camera in my tractor that has tape on it. I have seen the company video of that camera and the tape completely stops the driver from being seen. These units get VERY hot and I think the company is replacing the tape that melts with plastic covers, but some "drivers" feel they need to have their "own" cover so they take them to put them in whatever truck they are driving.
Just like guys taking a PDA out of a truck because they want that "one"
You know the guys I'm talking about the "mesters"

Also there is no reflection of the driver in the windshield for the camera to see.
As an individual who has received a certified warning letter from ABF for "tampering with the camera" I have seen several videos of me pushing the camera forward into its cradle. All were reflections from the windshield. I especially liked the one where I walk in front of the truck, step out of view of the camera, then the interior lights come on, you see me climb into the cab, lean forward and the forward view jumps. It doesn't show me actuality moving the camera but by pushing it forward you can no longer see the interior of the cab.

As an individual who has received a certified warning letter from ABF for "tampering with the camera" I have seen several videos of me pushing the camera forward into its cradle. All were reflections from the windshield. I especially liked the one where I walk in front of the truck, step out of view of the camera, then the interior lights come on, you see me climb into the cab, lean forward and the forward view jumps. It doesn't show me actuality moving the camera but by pushing it forward you can no longer see the interior of the cab.

"Tampering" with the camera.......I would hope,.....rather, I know....you've filed rebuttals on any certified letters you've received. A Driver in the cab...is presumed to control ALL aspects of that cab,...and any adjustments to equipment are for the Safety of both the Driver,...and Unit he is operating.. If,...say,....the fire extinguisher was located too far forward for that particular driver's leg length,...and the driver removed the fire extinguisher and safely relocated,...and secured,... it out of his leg's way....
....would that be "tampering"?

Since there was no damage done to the camera,.......what the company is calling : "Tampering",......is actually "Adjustment".....For Safety .
The camera use is still in negotiation. If ABF has not released Driver Training on "Proper Adjustment Of Camera",....then it is impossible for ABF to say any ....movement....of camera is "Tampering".

Anyone see any Company Guidance on "Proper Adjustment Of Camera"? I thought not.......Same as they don't tell you how to adjust the seat,....or the heater/AC controls. Or mirrors......

Adjustment is not "Tampering".....Unless there's damage to the Camera. And until ABF releases company-mandated guidelines on...."Proper Camera Adjustment Do's and Don't's",......any camera adjustment,....for Driver Safety and Visibility,........should b allowed.

Just because ArcBest upper management has declared the cameras as "Sacred Territory",....doesn't mean Driver Adjustment isn't superseded by...management Opinion.......

Make sure your BA sends along those warning letters to Ernie and his negotiating team.