XPO | Dropped trailers

tailgate

Hammerdown!
Credits
It seems we have had a rash of dropped trailers lately. I know I have'nt always gotten under the trailers and actually looked at the locks, but I have told myself that it has got to be done and done everytime I hook. I know I dont want to be charged with a preventable crash over something like that and hate to see someone else take a hit on it. We had a guy with over two million miles drop one a few weeks ago and took the hit on it. So im challenging everybody to do the same and start checking things a little better!:1036316054:

Kinda hard to tell on the 08's which I drive but I tug the you know what out of it and observe the handle. Dropped one several years ago and now check each and every time. Some guys never look so.....

why challenge everyone when the company pays you to do it.

Since when? I thought all inspections and paperwork had to be done on drive time, at least for us linehaul guys... Of course if we do a proper inspection on our time then we get asked why we were late... Breakdown or equipment related accident and it's "why didn't you realize there was something wrong with it." FWIW I always kick the tires, check the lights and hooks, but that's about it.

Since when? I thought all inspections and paperwork had to be done on drive time, at least for us linehaul guys... Of course if we do a proper inspection on our time then we get asked why we were late... Breakdown or equipment related accident and it's "why didn't you realize there was something wrong with it." FWIW I always kick the tires, check the lights and hooks, but that's about it.

you dont get paid for your drop and HOOKS ????

doppler said:
you dont get paid for your drop and HOOKS ????

They do but they want everything done in under 15 minutes. I believe any time over that you have to be able to provide reason why you were late.

Pre/post trip is supposed to be compensated for in the mileage pay for the trip. Same with paperwork, dispatch, etc... Yes, of course you get paid for drop and hook time. Since the big safety strike blitz, it has been made very clear that you take whatever time necessary to safely hook your set, including miles of loops around the terminal to avoid the dreaded "yardflow" violation. You just need to make some kind of notation on the paysheet if it's over 20 minutes, at least in our area.

Thanks just going by what I was told by one of the drivers.

and this driver just told you 20 minutes lol read this also
Pre/post trip is supposed to be compensated for in the mileage pay for the trip. Same with paperwork, dispatch, etc... Yes, of course you get paid for drop and hook time. Since the big safety strike blitz, it has been made very clear that you take whatever time necessary to safely hook your set, including miles of loops around the terminal to avoid the dreaded "yardflow" violation. You just need to make some kind of notation on the paysheet if it's over 20 minutes, at least in our area.

I have a suggestion for cmsdock when you become a trucker........dont take a 6 pack with you on a saturday run and try to do a uturn on the ohio turnpike.

If we all have time to post on here, why not take a minute or two and call GO and complain about the petty rules they have set. I mean why should a guy with over 2 million miles without incident be punished for pulling out from under a trailer and dropping it.... If you have a person doing it twice in 6 months then you might have a problem but 1 time in 2 million miles, people get real... With all the new laws with CSA and now Conway threating your job over not having your seat belt on while driving a forklift. I believe it is important to have a seatbelt on while driving a fork lift with all the open doors we have and the chances are great we could back off the dock, but where is the preventitive messures from the company like chains accross open doors? Do you guys want to spend 15 years of your life at a job, have 2 million miles safe driving, and find yourself in the position you dropped a trailer, caught without a seatbelt, caught a low hanging branch and bent a muffler, and did not have your flashers on while driving around the lot all within a years time, and the end result your fired? Maybe Con-way learned from ಠ▄ಠ, get rid of the weak, the the old, and any other select that didnt fit in and you have the perfect EMPLOYEES...

companyclown said:
I have a suggestion for cmsdock when you become a trucker........dont take a 6 pack with you on a saturday run and try to do a uturn on the ohio turnpike.

Pretty hard to do with that concrete divider in the way.

Hey cmsdock.......where do you think the cops sit in the middle? UHHHHHHHH? Like the previous post stated.....it has been done.

If we all have time to post on here, why not take a minute or two and call GO and complain about the petty rules they have set. I mean why should a guy with over 2 million miles without incident be punished for pulling out from under a trailer and dropping it.... If you have a person doing it twice in 6 months then you might have a problem but 1 time in 2 million miles, people get real... With all the new laws with CSA and now Conway threating your job over not having your seat belt on while driving a forklift. I believe it is important to have a seatbelt on while driving a fork lift with all the open doors we have and the chances are great we could back off the dock, but where is the preventitive messures from the company like chains accross open doors? Do you guys want to spend 15 years of your life at a job, have 2 million miles safe driving, and find yourself in the position you dropped a trailer, caught without a seatbelt, caught a low hanging branch and bent a muffler, and did not have your flashers on while driving around the lot all within a years time, and the end result your fired? Maybe Con-way learned from ಠ▄ಠ, get rid of the weak, the the old, and any other select that didnt fit in and you have the perfect EMPLOYEES...

Finally!!!!...

Someone who 'gets' it.

Rat

I'm serious about what i say, i'm not pro union and never have been but i do believe in fair and equal treatment. CSA 2010 is going to change the playing field for all of us, but simple mistakes happen everyday by the lowest and highest up. We can't live AND survive in a world of perfection. I have called G O and voiced my concerns, the latest being about the new safety regs. Ive also called over the new flex regs, how can we get good drivers to stay under this am/pm only flex? These flex guys show interest in this company but may never be able to survive thru the slow times in a small barn under these new regs. We have a company thats will listen to our concerns if ONLY we make it a point to voice our concerns. This company was on the right track before all the restriction..... The back bone of this company needs to wake up....

There are no new rules with CSA 2010, only new accountability.
If a guy with 10,000 miles or 2 million drops a trailer while hooking, they did not do a complete D.O.T. required pre-tip. Now to drop one while breaking a set... someone's not paying attention. A safety policy needs little explaination... it's all about safety. In our company, doubles, triples, it's all about driving defensively, being smooth, and driving smoothly. Achieving 2 million miles only reflects what you did before today. You alone decide to do your job with or without character (doing what's right even if no one notices). CSA 2010 is all about forcing carriers to be pro-active in their employee's approach to safety. You can decide to change your habits or you can be forced to change your habits. That's if your habits are unsafe.

Smooth, Self Management Of Our Total Habits.

I'm serious about what i say, i'm not pro union and never have been but i do believe in fair and equal treatment. CSA 2010 is going to change the playing field for all of us, but simple mistakes happen everyday by the lowest and highest up. We can't live AND survive in a world of perfection. We have a company thats will listen to our concerns if ONLY we make it a point to voice our concerns. The back bone of this company needs to wake up....

You know the people that run this company all have contracts stating what they get paid, how there bonus is structured, what happens if they separate from the company, etc etc etc. Why can't WE have a contract that states the same sort of things??? If its good for the CEO,President, Board of Directors, why is not good for us???:6799: