XPO | DSR from XCV got canned

Years ago there were commercials out there for Grecian Formula that were fun to laugh at. Their statement was always how the product removes gray hair so gradually that no one will notice. This is, in a sense, true for those who see the user every day. But what about those that don't see the dark haired schmuck for a couple of months?

At that point, it's not so gradual - the differences are revealed as rather stark.

[yt]xfqhg9E1IMQ[/yt]

Good analogy Bankrupt.

I wish I could elaborate on the event in question but don't think that is in my best interests. Just my opinion - I would wager he will end up getting his job back if he wants it.

So, if I am reading this right, we have this model employee, who does everything exactly the way all the training and TIMS meetings requires, by the book, and we fire him for sweeping out his trailer, per every policy and training guide in the company..?? C'mon folks...get a grip...

So, if I am reading this right, we have this model employee, who does everything exactly the way all the training and TIMS meetings requires, by the book, and we fire him for sweeping out his trailer, per every policy and training guide in the company..?? C'mon folks...get a grip...
Whoa, whoa whoa!!!!! There's no room here for that kind of reasoned, well thought-out kind of talk!
Alright, now let's get on with the ridiculous, left field gibberish that we all enjoy.

Safety Dave. This man did everything by the Con-Way book.He never loaded a stitch of freight until the trailer was completely swept clean, He never loaded any kind of freight that was damaged, ripped ,crushed until it was completely recouped to the original condition it was picked up in.He did a pre and post trip inspection that was so thorough it would make our safety guys feel like it was their first day in the business. In other words he did EVERYTHING exactly the way Con-Way Freight says they want things done. One thing that can never be accomplished in the Con-Way world is to move freight fast,cube every trailer 100% and move it damage free. Safety Dave tried to do just that and was ripped a new A-Hole every day because to do his job Con-Way properly this took TIME. It will truly be a sad,sad day for those of us who have work ethics if he was fired for this reason only.

This has been discussed several times and in our world it makes sense to use common sense. It furthers production where many of our supposed policies hinder production. But common sense also makes allowances for judgment calls that are based on experience. For instance, if there is freight leaning against a stuck trailer door that I need to open, I am not allowed to use the tow motor - EVER. Common sense easily dictates that I should use the tow motor which is fine as long as I don't damage the door. If a FOS knows I did damage the door, I am toast. If there is freight that is leaning against the door that falls out and injures me, I am still at fault.

Many have thought how neat it would be if everybody were to follow policy to the letter. It is called blind obedience and it would demonstrate how ridicules some of our policies are.....and how some of our policies are administrated only when an action results in damaged freight, equipment, or personnel. After all, they need to lay the blame on someone.

But getting peeps to follow that tact and become blindly obedient won't happen because most of us can't go against what we inherently need to do and that is just do what we have to do to get the job done.

Our leaders know this but can't leave a broken door alone. Someone needs to be held accountable. They have the best of both worlds; People that do what is necessary to get the job done and someone to blame it on when things go awry.

I would like to know more about what happened but it does look like he was probably targeted for being to-the-letter obedient.

If they are trying to make an example out of him, it really sends a mixed message.

I'll tell ya what,i knew safety dave also,by the book,what book? i believe he suffered from some compulsive behavior because he did everything to the extreme,an hour to do a pretrip or post trip,come on guys thats way too much,the problem is,while he's doing an unnecessary overly involved vehicle inspection,the rest of us are on the dock doing the bread and butter work,this job requires a real sense of urgency and that was something that he just couldnt embrace,i have to say he was a hell of a nice guy but nice dont cut it in this environment,i have seen him get told by a supervisor to get busy breaking a trailer after having had the trailer at the door for 45 minutes and not even have the door rolled up yet because of his ritual of scanning EVERY bit of information on EVERY bill and comparing it to the info on the t-man,completely unnecessary just move the freight already,i hate to see a guy lose a job but this guy just didnt get it.one other thing,i dont think that there is some vast conspiracy to get rid of senior guys,i have seen alot of guys mess up continually until finally they are let go to everyones surprise, but there are things that you can and cannot do to survive here and im really surprised that he lasted as long as he did,its simple really,follow directions thats all you gotta do and he just simply would not,he had his own way of doing things and nobody could tell him different!

I'll tell ya what,i knew safety dave also,by the book,what book? i believe he suffered from some compulsive behavior because he did everything to the extreme,an hour to do a pretrip or post trip,come on guys thats way too much,the problem is,while he's doing an unnecessary overly involved vehicle inspection,the rest of us are on the dock doing the bread and butter work,this job requires a real sense of urgency and that was something that he just couldnt embrace,i have to say he was a hell of a nice guy but nice dont cut it in this environment,i have seen him get told by a supervisor to get busy breaking a trailer after having had the trailer at the door for 45 minutes and not even have the door rolled up yet because of his ritual of scanning EVERY bit of information on EVERY bill and comparing it to the info on the t-man,completely unnecessary just move the freight already,i hate to see a guy lose a job but this guy just didnt get it.one other thing,i dont think that there is some vast conspiracy to get rid of senior guys,i have seen alot of guys mess up continually until finally they are let go to everyones surprise, but there are things that you can and cannot do to survive here and im really surprised that he lasted as long as he did,its simple really,follow directions thats all you gotta do and he just simply would not,he had his own way of doing things and nobody could tell him different!

Alright this begs a question...how long has Safety Dave worked for Con-Way?

Rat

Safety dave is been with con-way for 5 and a half years.yes,he wears all those safety equipment with him.and yes,he runs xhg or xlf most of the night.

Alright this begs a question...how long has Safety Dave worked for Con-Way?

Rat

Safety dave is been with con-way for 5 and a half years.yes,he wears all those safety equipment with him.and yes,he runs xhg or xlf most of the night.

Five and a half years?

I am assuming the "Safety Dave" moniker was awarded to him by his fellow workers. To have recieved such an honor he must have been very obvious about it.

I am also assuming his behavior has been going on for some length of time. In addition to some other posts here suggest he had some unusual work habits. It has been suggested he suffers from OCD. This condition doesn't just pop up overnight.

So this begs yet another question....

Why did it take five and a half years for his situation to come a point that results in termination. If Dave has been running linehaul for those years, his behavior is nothing new to either XLF or XHG. Evidently his work performance was satisfactory for that period. So why now?....

We are missing crucial information here.

There are too many empty blanks.

Somebody needs to fill them in.

Rat

this person hasn't changed his style since he start working for CON-WAY.just that night FOS was in the bad mood,and try to pick on him.Safety Dave is a very hard working man,he goes out above and beyond all the time.You could ask him to watch a drum full of money,he won't even steal not even a penny.i remember i broke down one saturday morning he pulled over,to ask me if everything is OK and he said i was the 3rd driver that he has to pull over to check.you know a lot of these drivers,especially on saturday morning they could careless if you broke down or any reason,they'll tell you I HAVE TO GO.but Safety Dave is always there for TEAM CON-WAY.HR give him his job back....

this person hasn't changed his style since he start working for CON-WAY.just that night FOS was in the bad mood,and try to pick on him.Safety Dave is a very hard working man,he goes out above and beyond all the time.You could ask him to watch a drum full of money,he won't even steal not even a penny.i remember i broke down one saturday morning he pulled over,to ask me if everything is OK and he said i was the 3rd driver that he has to pull over to check.you know a lot of these drivers,especially on saturday morning they could careless if you broke down or any reason,they'll tell you I HAVE TO GO.but Safety Dave is always there for TEAM CON-WAY.HR give him his job back....

The FOS fired him?

When the hell did they get that authority?

Rat

Yup, he did do everything just like the books said, the promlem is he did it everything over and over a couple of times. I likes the guy and also thanked god he never had Jersey freight since he was was the last driver to show up to the reship without fail and would do a full half hour port trip before dropping his set. about a moth ago a friday his TM rode with him to the reship ( xlf) and he ran of hours the way home:)...
They should have got him some sort of help to deal with his condition.
I saw the Clearfield dock plenty of times all finished except Carlstatd sill loading couple of boxes worth off the dock.
I am not trying to trash Dave but these are the facts.
He gave more time to out tdc team more than anyone.(Eight out of eleven placed including 2 !st places)
I also think that guys from the west waiting on him every night have all different view of his performance.

I thought he was a piece of garbage. My opinion. Last one at XLF every time he went there. Take a half hour to 45 min. to get his trailers to the dock. Oh, did I mention he was late every day? I think he was flat out lazy and didn't want to work. Thats my impression of him by seeing him in action.

I thought he was a piece of garbage. My opinion. Last one at XLF every time he went there. Take a half hour to 45 min. to get his trailers to the dock. Oh, did I mention he was late every day? I think he was flat out lazy and didn't want to work. Thats my impression of him by seeing him in action.

i disagree, he had a bad case ocd he did best job he could, not lazy just really slow. he gave 100% every time..whatever that maybe. I am not sure how it could have been avoided but someone should have got him help.

I know, if I were him, I'd take it all the way to the crystal palace.

the crystal palace is where this kind of psychological warfare comes from. to deal whith situations like this you need to take it outside the company. have your lawyer subponea
company policy.