XPO | E.b.o.r.

Pedalpumper

TB Lurker
Credits
Units were installed a couple weeks ago at my barn. My honest opinion.......

They have installed a huge distraction in our cab!
They told us they would throw out the first month of data, and then they will start looking at our shifting scores. "The top ten will be commended, and the bottom ten will get a talking to". Seems like it would be human nature to want to be in the top ten. In order to accomplish this, you have to constantly monitor your Tachometer. Shifting should be a secondary function like breathing. They have now turned it into a primary function. Another thing to focus on while you are driving.

Eyes are now on the Tachometer when they should be on the road, looking ahead, in the mirrors, etc.
If looking at my cell phone or handheld for a brief second is considered a distraction, then why isn't this?

Also, these things aren't set right (at least not at my barn). In order to shift where they want me to, I have to basically short shift, especially on the 10 speeds and city units. Our drivers are lugging these trucks. How does this save fuel??

I'm all for saving fuel. The more money we save, more money in our pockets (in theory), but at what expense? Safety????
I've brought these points up in our morning safety meeting. Told them to file it under "Having the courage to intervene", since I feel the company is implementing something unsafe . Seemed to be taken seriously, haven't heard back yet.

It's my understanding that the main reason they went for these systems is for future use with electronic logs, and that this shifting nonsense was just an added bonus that came with the unit.

They told us they would throw out the first month of data, and then they will start looking at our shifting scores. "The top ten will be commended, and the bottom ten will get a talking to". Seems like it would be human nature to want to be in the top ten. In order to accomplish this, you have to constantly monitor your Tachometer. Shifting should be a secondary function like breathing. They have now turned it into a primary function. Another thing to focus on while you are driving.

Eyes are now on the Tachometer when they should be on the road, looking ahead, in the mirrors, etc.
If looking at my cell phone or handheld for a brief second is considered a distraction, then why isn't this?

Also, these things aren't set right (at least not at my barn). In order to shift where they want me to, I have to basically short shift, especially on the 10 speeds and city units. Our drivers are lugging these trucks. How does this save fuel??

I'm all for saving fuel. The more money we save, more money in our pockets (in theory), but at what expense? Safety????
I've brought these points up in our morning safety meeting. Told them to file it under "Having the courage to intervene", since I feel the company is implementing something unsafe . Seemed to be taken seriously, haven't heard back yet.

It's my understanding that the main reason they went for these systems is for future use with electronic logs, and that this shifting nonsense was just an added bonus that came with the unit.
after about 3 weeks, you'll stop looking at the camera and that thing also.

after about 3 weeks, you'll stop looking at the camera and that thing also.

Not so, especially if they are planning to coach people. The only way I will forget this unit is there, is if they tell me to totally disregard it, and that my score will not be looked at, or mean anything at all.

Another safety issue is that you can't get enough momentum to cross a highway without traffic lights safely. Backing in off a busy street, you now have to crawl so you don't exceed RPMs. Crossing RR tracks from a stop, same problem.

sensitivity im sure can be adjusted on the cameras so to watch those ones more who they would like to terminate like top paid or people who speak their mind, etc. If a camera goes off 30 times in one truck compared to one that goes off 10 times in another the first would be more apt to catch drivers making mistakes. Just another way to trim out top pay drivers in my opinion. .

sensitivity im sure can be adjusted on the cameras so to watch those ones more who they would like to terminate like top paid or people who speak their mind, etc. If a camera goes off 30 times in one truck compared to one that goes off 10 times in another the first would be more apt to catch drivers making mistakes. Just another way to trim out top pay drivers in my opinion. .

The herd is will be thinner, you can bet your life..But at Con-way safety first so you can return home to your family. :)

I find it interesting how many on this site report how the company and those in Ann Arbor have no idea of common-sense when it comes to trucks and driving. But now when technology allows a trucking company to manage their resources better some of the players suddenly refuse to utilize common-sense in rationalizing their behavior. No one at corporate is demanding every driver attain the maximum fuel economy. No one at corporate is demanding 100% compliance with fuel efficient shifting. Common-sense says no two vehicles will produce the same mileage. And common-sense says a heavy truck will not produce the mileage of an empty one. Somewhere there is an article that discusses corporate America and what is needed to be considered a successful company five to ten years from now. It is written that to be successful a company must manage actions not expectations. Pro-active vs. reactive is really what we are talking about here. The technology of DriveCam and the E.O.B.R.s brings personal accountability to the employee's actions and efforts. Everyone has been expected to drive safe and utilize progressive shifting. And for many it was everyone else's but my responsibility to conform to policy. Going forward you will be held accountable to make the effort to drive safe and economically. Operate smoothly to prevent sudden, reactive maneuvers and start utilizing 1100 and 1500 for your shift points. Once 1100 and 1500 become second nature work to reduce your range to 1050 and 1350.

You seem to think these people care what you think,(NO) just try to do the best you can and maybe all this crap will work out and we can all get ready for the next round of B/S that's coming!:Emoticon_digging:

I find it interesting how many on this site report how the company and those in Ann Arbor have no idea of common-sense when it comes to trucks and driving. But now when technology allows a trucking company to manage their resources better some of the players suddenly refuse to utilize common-sense in rationalizing their behavior. No one at corporate is demanding every driver attain the maximum fuel economy. No one at corporate is demanding 100% compliance with fuel efficient shifting. Common-sense says no two vehicles will produce the same mileage. And common-sense says a heavy truck will not produce the mileage of an empty one. Somewhere there is an article that discusses corporate America and what is needed to be considered a successful company five to ten years from now. It is written that to be successful a company must manage actions not expectations. Pro-active vs. reactive is really what we are talking about here. The technology of DriveCam and the E.O.B.R.s brings personal accountability to the employee's actions and efforts. Everyone has been expected to drive safe and utilize progressive shifting. And for many it was everyone else's but my responsibility to conform to policy. Going forward you will be held accountable to make the effort to drive safe and economically. Operate smoothly to prevent sudden, reactive maneuvers and start utilizing 1100 and 1500 for your shift points. Once 1100 and 1500 become second nature work to reduce your range to 1050 and 1350.

I agree with this comment for the most part but I haven't been told yet because our units get installed this weekend and we haven't had the 3 hour training but wonder if the 7 speed city trucks are expected to also shift at the 1100-1500 range ? If so that could be unsafe, and not using common sense or showing any knowledge when it comes to trucks or driving. Unloaded no problem but loaded heavy on steep incline switching to the next gear at 1400 RPM (possible problem). Not just because these old city 7 speed trucks are running well over 2000 RPM at 62MPH and around 1900 RPM at 55MPH but because being loaded heavy up a hill in gears 1-5 in a city truck 7 speed and staying under 1500 is bad on the engine with the turbo taking to long to start kicking in.

Hell, you have to let off the pedal at 1200-1300 because the sling shot effect or velocity of the needle and rpm's at that point still throws the needle at or over 1500. Maybe 1700 for these city trucks loaded but not 1100 - 1500 loaded heavy. Also, at these high RPM'S I mentioned above , are city drivers in these old city trucks supposed to have the same MPG goal ?

In a 7 speed road truck I don't have any problem with these RPM goals just the old city trucks.

I find it even more interesting how Ann Arbor expects human employees to be as faultless as mechanical robots.

Certainly worth a laugh, a member of CON-WAY management talking about common sense.

Certainly worth a laugh, a member of CON-WAY management talking about common sense.

U1, your right, there is a PPO plan, but still has a deductible and pays the same percentage. I'm still going with the bigger deductible and the Fund Plan. (free money in my eyes)..And it's cheap.

I finally found all my stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:

You Kool Aid drinkers kill me. Sounds like A well typed post straight from a desk at XGO. Drink up.

We have a score OD gives us, it's your ROI score. Stands for over rpm, overspeed, over idle. If you hit one of the limits on rpm (1500) speed (70 with your foot in it) or idle (5 minutes) it registered it doesn't set off a signal in the cab or anything. They post everyone's score on a daily or weekly basis, not sure which. You have to go over the limits quite often for it to register enough to get a talking to from mgmt, something like 5%. From what I've heard, the system at Con-way goes off every time you're a bad boy and even tells you when to shift. That's asinine. Talk about micromanagement. There is technology that helps a company conserve its resources and a driver see where to improve, but what are the thresholds on the Con-way system? What's "coachable"? If you have to be worried every time you miss a shift then that goes beyond helpful to intrusive.

I agree with this comment for the most part but I haven't been told yet because our units get installed this weekend and we haven't had the 3 hour training but wonder if the 7 speed city trucks are expected to also shift at the 1100-1500 range ? If so that could be unsafe, and not using common sense or showing any knowledge when it comes to trucks or driving. Unloaded no problem but loaded heavy on steep incline switching to the next gear at 1400 RPM (possible problem). Not just because these old city 7 speed trucks are running well over 2000 RPM at 62MPH and around 1900 RPM at 55MPH but because being loaded heavy up a hill in gears 1-5 in a city truck 7 speed and staying under 1500 is bad on the engine with the turbo taking to long to start kicking in.

Hell, you have to let off the pedal at 1200-1300 because the sling shot effect or velocity of the needle and rpm's at that point still throws the needle at or over 1500. Maybe 1700 for these city trucks loaded but not 1100 - 1500 loaded heavy. Also, at these high RPM'S I mentioned above , are city drivers in these old city trucks supposed to have the same MPG goal ?

In a 7 speed road truck I don't have any problem with these RPM goals just the old city trucks.

there is a PowerPoint available on progressive shifting that outlines the shift ranges of all unit types. sevens and tens, medium duty and heavy duty. And no, the old city-kitties are not expected to be shifted in the same range as a heavy duty unit.

We have a score OD gives us, it's your ROI score. Stands for over rpm, overspeed, over idle. If you hit one of the limits on rpm (1500) speed (70 with your foot in it) or idle (5 minutes) it registered it doesn't set off a signal in the cab or anything. They post everyone's score on a daily or weekly basis, not sure which. You have to go over the limits quite often for it to register enough to get a talking to from mgmt, something like 5%. From what I've heard, the system at Con-way goes off every time you're a bad boy and even tells you when to shift. That's asinine. Talk about micromanagement. There is technology that helps a company conserve its resources and a driver see where to improve, but what are the thresholds on the Con-way system? What's "coachable"? If you have to be worried every time you miss a shift then that goes beyond helpful to intrusive.

the system produces an audible tone at the optimum shift points. The goal of the program is to identify potential fuel savings by looking at the same things you outlined, shifting, speeding, and excessive idling. So not really thresholds, more along the lines of efficiency goals. Those with the worse fuel mileage and idle times will be coached to improve.

You Kool Aid drinkers kill me. Sounds like A well typed post straight from a desk at XGO. Drink up.

80%... that's about the amount of drivers (including myself) who go to work every day looking to do a good job and achieve some personal goals by the end of the day. When asked to do it safely and efficiently, they try. Between the cameras and the e.o.b.r.s that 80% will be able to see the outcome of their efforts. Now that 20% percent that always operates just under the radar, only worries about themselves, and turns off every conversation that includes the words "change" or "improve" can now look forward to getting a chance to taste the Kool-Aid. 20%... that's about the amount of those who have operated by believing their actions are exempt from everyone else's expectations.