XPO | Employee Engagement and You

Merdock

Kool-aid-aholic
Credits
Goggle 'employee engagement' and you will find why this term is so important to companies today. And, to our company included.

During our celebration week of April 20th - 24th, the employee portal states we will have the opportunity to "share thoughts and opinions on a variety of engagement dimensions..."

Now those suffering from conspricism can beat this apart all they want but I look forward to the opportunity of participate in this process at face value as posted on the employee portal.

As usual, good stuff Merdock!
I'd like to contribute to your thread by adding this hopeful video.

How does a company become nurturing and fully engaging internally?
The short answer is through understanding and building. You make sincere efforts to understand your employees, their struggles, their frustrations and their needs. Then, you build an environment that every employee will be proud to call their own.
[YT]eo8toa2FKAk[/YT]

Goggle 'employee engagement' and you will find why this term is so important to companies today. And, to our company included.

During our celebration week of April 20th - 24th, the employee portal states we will have the opportunity to "share thoughts and opinions on a variety of engagement dimensions..."

Now those suffering from conspricism can beat this apart all they want but I look forward to the opportunity of participate in this process at face value as posted on the employee portal.

I agree, Good stuff Merdock.

I did Google 'employee engagement' and what I learned is that when people are engaged, they feel as though they are a part of something...perhaps bigger then themselves. They feel like they are part of a team which results in member participation. Consequently, the employee's performance is much more desirable. They work safer and they care more about not just the quantity of their production, but also the quality. If a company were to possess this attribute, I would call it a testament to excellent leadership.

Generally, to become engaged, employees must first feel as though there is mutual trust and respect amongst it's team members.

Today there is no management conspiracy; Just a complete disregard for walking the talk and treating "team" members in such a way that they experience reciprocal trust and respect. In the mean time, how can we believe management after they respond when we "share thoughts and opinions on a variety of engagement dimensions..."

I'd love to be apart of this engaged team. So, all of this begs the question; How does Conway realistically cultivate 'employee engagement'? Please don't include me in this initiative as I have flown too close to the light a few times and got singed.........call it burned.I'm at the point where I'll watch and when our motivating leaders show me there is cause for me to participate, I will - without hesitation.

... I did Google 'employee engagement' and what I learned is that when people are engaged, they feel as though they are a part of something...
I'd love to be apart of this engaged team. So, all of this begs the question; How does Conway realistically cultivate 'employee engagement'? Please don't include me in this initiative as I have flown too close to the light a few times and got singed.........call it burned.I'm at the point where I'll watch and when our motivating leaders show me there is cause for me to participate, I will - without hesitation.

On the list of the Five Levels of Employee Engagement that would make you a "Crash & Burner". "Disillusioned and potentially exhausted"

I always try and look beyond the company to understand events within. But this is truly optimistic in that the company seems to have gone beyond their usual comfort zone in pursuit of improvement.

As usual, good stuff Merdock!
I'd like to contribute to your thread by adding this hopeful video.

[YT]eo8toa2FKAk[/YT]

great post , it would be helpful if corporations were paying attention to this instead of lean 6 sigma, they might all be in better shape.

I did Google 'employee engagement' and what I learned is that when people are engaged, they feel as though they are a part of something...perhaps bigger then themselves. They feel like they are part of a team which results in member participation. Consequently, the employee's performance is much more desirable. They work safer and they care more about not just the quantity of their production, but also the quality. If a company were to possess this attribute, I would call it a testament to excellent leadership.

Generally, to become engaged, employees must first feel as though there is mutual trust and respect amongst it's team members.

Today there is no management conspiracy; Just a complete disregard for walking the talk and treating "team" members in such a way that they experience reciprocal trust and respect. In the mean time, how can we believe management after they respond when we "share thoughts and opinions on a variety of engagement dimensions..."

Amen! I don't think they really want employee engagement, they just want you to think it's there. Wish it wern't so!

great post , it would be helpful if corporations were paying attention to this instead of lean 6 sigma, they might all be in better shape.

it is all connected, six sigma and engagement. Our industry is 80% human performance. And human performance has two components within each of us, ability and effort. Now if you are truly pursuing six sigma, then you can not ignore the need to motivate and engage your employees.

On the list of the Five Levels of Employee Engagement that would make you a "Crash & Burner". "Disillusioned and potentially exhausted"

I always try and look beyond the company to understand events within. But this is truly optimistic in that the company seems to have gone beyond their usual comfort zone in pursuit of improvement.

Disillusioned?
You bet I am. And will wear that tag with honor.

dis·il·lu·sion
v.
dis·il·lu·sioned, dis·il·lu·sion·ing, dis·il·lu·sions To free or deprive of illusion.
n.1. The act of disenchanting.
2. The condition or fact of being disenchanted.

(Disenchanted is to be free of enchantment.)

Potentially Exhausted?
Nope, I have energy, though probably not as much as I had a kid but I do work a little smarter now. I still do have energy in reserves but where to apply that energy is another matter. If Potentially Exhausted means burned out, then perhaps as my frustration level concerning Conway has grown exponentially as a result of their employee relations. - Or more specific, the handling of my retirement, sick days, vacation, etc, etc.

I will believe that this Employee Engagement is a step in the positive direction after its implementation is actually followed up with ACTION. Otherwise, it is just more lip service about programs and initiatives. My based-on-history guess is that it is a flash in the pants and will prove to lack commitment.

We are judged by our character and our character is made up of what we do - not by the illusion we present ourselves with.

Disillusioned?
You bet I am. And will wear that tag with honor.

dis·il·lu·sion
v.
dis·il·lu·sioned, dis·il·lu·sion·ing, dis·il·lu·sions To free or deprive of illusion.
n.1. The act of disenchanting.
2. The condition or fact of being disenchanted.

(Disenchanted is to be free of enchantment.)

Potentially Exhausted?
Nope, I have energy, though probably not as much as I had a kid but I do work a little smarter now. I still do have energy in reserves but where to apply that energy is another matter. If Potentially Exhausted means burned out, then perhaps as my frustration level concerning Conway has grown exponentially as a result of their employee relations. - Or more specific, the handling of my retirement, sick days, vacation, etc, etc.

I should have included the complete description of this level of engagement

Disillusioned and potentially exhausted, these employees are top producers who aren't achieving their personal definition of success and satisfaction. They can be bitterly vocal that senior leaders are making bad decisions or that colleagues are not pulling their weight. If left alone, they are likely to slip down the contribution scale to become Disengaged, often bringing down those around them. They may leave, but they are more likely to take a breather and work less hard.

sound like anyone you know?

it is all connected, six sigma and engagement. Our industry is 80% human performance. And human performance has two components within each of us, ability and effort. Now if you are truly pursuing six sigma, then you can not ignore the need to motivate and engage your employees.

If this is indeed part of the LSS program then it is doomed before it ever gets started...of course the statement 'truly pursuing' plays a big part in all this.

When the hell did Con-Way ever truly want employees 'thoughts and opinions' on anything substantial? And if they did what difference did it ever make?

Its one thing to 'say' it is wanted...its altogether another to act upon them. Honestly I would not hold my breath on the latter. I and others in this organization have been so ignored in the last six months this whole concept is insulting. They kick the ladder out from underneath me and my family...destroy the immediate future of hundreds of the company's long term employees...and now they want my opinion and input.

Ummm!...no they don't

What they want, plain and simple, is to find out if there is a potentially viable movement for organized labor or a mass exodus of qualified personnel. Con-Way kicked the guts out of every person 'engaged' in this company and then continued the insult by wanting "committment" and to "keep the dream alive". We all know the definition of opinions...and yours and mine are not wanted. This is just a ploy to make the employees feel as if theirs counted for something...and as far as Con-Way is concerned they don't...haven't in the past and won't in the future.

These are just some more 'buzz words' used in college business classes to convince the masses that they matter. Same old ridiculous concept as "team". I am not a team, I am an individual...part of a team by definition but that is as far as it goes. And what the hell are 'engagement dimensions'...is this some corporate speak for concerns? Please spare me the cliches...OH!...sorry...I forgot...this is Con-Way...the king of cliches.

If Con-Way wanted my input they should have seeking it long before this...and way prior to shattering my and others futures...

Disillusioned and potentially exhausted......funny stuff...who isn't these days...

Lets try burned out and dog tired not to mentioned sick of the whole BS organization.

Rat

Rat :eck13:

If this is indeed part of the LSS program then it is doomed before it ever gets started...of course the statement 'truly pursuing' plays a big part in all this.

When the hell did Con-Way ever truly want employees 'thoughts and opinions' on anything substantial? And if they did what difference did it ever make?

Its one thing to 'say' it is wanted...its altogether another to act upon them. Honestly I would not hold my breath on the latter. I and others in this organization have been so ignored in the last six months this whole concept is insulting. They kick the ladder out from underneath me and my family...destroy the immediate future of hundreds of the company's long term employees...and now they want my opinion and input.

Ummm!...no they don't

What they want, plain and simple, is to find out if there is a potentially viable movement for organized labor or a mass exodus of qualified personnel. Con-Way kicked the guts out of every person 'engaged' in this company and then continued the insult by wanting "committment" and to "keep the dream alive". We all know the definition of opinions...and yours and mine are not wanted. This is just a ploy to make the employees feel as if theirs counted for something...and as far as Con-Way is concerned they don't...haven't in the past and won't in the future.

These are just some more 'buzz words' used in college business classes to convince the masses that they matter. Same old ridiculous concept as "team". I am not a team, I am an individual...part of a team by definition but that is as far as it goes. And what the hell are 'engagement dimensions'...is this some corporate speak for concerns? Please spare me the cliches...OH!...sorry...I forgot...this is Con-Way...the king of cliches.

If Con-Way wanted my input they should have seeking it long before this...and way prior to shattering my and others futures...

Disillusioned and potentially exhausted......funny stuff...who isn't these days...

Lets try burned out and dog tired not to mentioned sick of the whole BS organization.

Rat

Rat :eck13:

and this would be the Disengaged Level

Most disengaged employees didn't start out as bad apples. They still may not be. They are the most disconnected from organizational priorities, often feel underutilized, and are clearly not getting what they need from work. They're likely to be skeptical, and can indulge in contagious negativity. If left alone, the Disengaged are likely to collect a paycheck while complaining or looking for their next job. If they can't be coached or aligned to higher levels of engagement, their exit benefits everyone, including them.

now don't shoot the mail man, I'm just cutting and pasting

I will throw in my 2 cents on a couple things, do with them what you must....

1. Lean Six Sigma is indeed based on the theory that "ground up" decision making is the method by which you will get the most accurate and thorough results. I think that speaks for itself. John L is THE driver behind it's conceptual use at Con-way. He is a complete believer in it. Now those of you sitting back and saying that you are not seeing anything need to understand one thing: It is in it's very preliminary stages, and will be more exposed in the summer. Have some patience.
2. Merdock mentioned the upcoming survey the week of 4/20-24...If I was ever going to tell a group to take advantage of something, this may very well be it. Many here are very articulate and professional, and here is your chance to be heard, and to be heard the right way. There are some that are going to want to be heard and will go about it the wrong way. I will only say to imagine how you would react to a tirade filled and profanity laced dissertation...Opportunity is knocking....seize the opportunity...for those of you who believe that you will not be heard anyway, save your energy..The rest of us will go to bat for you... I, for one, intend to sign my name to mine..

Most disengaged employees didn't start out as bad apples. They still may not be. They are the most disconnected from organizational priorities, often feel underutilized, and are clearly not getting what they need from work. They're likely to be skeptical, and can indulge in contagious negativity. If left alone, the Disengaged are likely to collect a paycheck while complaining or looking for their next job. If they can't be coached or aligned to higher levels of engagement, their exit benefits everyone, including them.

I will throw in my 2 cents on a couple things, do with them what you must....

1. Lean Six Sigma is indeed based on the theory that "ground up" decision making is the method by which you will get the most accurate and thorough results. I think that speaks for itself. John L is THE driver behind it's conceptual use at Con-way. He is a complete believer in it. Now those of you sitting back and saying that you are not seeing anything need to understand one thing: It is in it's very preliminary stages, and will be more exposed in the summer. Have some patience.
2. Merdock mentioned the upcoming survey the week of 4/20-24...If I was ever going to tell a group to take advantage of something, this may very well be it. Many here are very articulate and professional, and here is your chance to be heard, and to be heard the right way. There are some that are going to want to be heard and will go about it the wrong way. I will only say to imagine how you would react to a tirade filled and profanity laced dissertation...Opportunity is knocking....seize the opportunity...for those of you who believe that you will not be heard anyway, save your energy..The rest of us will go to bat for you... I, for one, intend to sign my name to mine..

Merdock...I won't shoot you!!..I don't bite...and I do respect and admire your posts...

Boss...I respect you as well.

If you say John is the driving force behind this initiative then I will relent for the time being as I do respect him as well.

If this is truly what you say it may be then I will be behind it 100%...and yes I will sign my name as well.

I am not holding my breath though!

I will defer judgement until I see the outcome.

I, like Bankrupt, have been singed a few too many times...

Time will tell.

Rat :shift:

Merdock...I won't shoot you!!..I don't bite...and I do respect and admire your posts...

Boss...I respect you as well.

If you say John is the driving force behind this initiative then I will relent for the time being as I do respect him as well.

If this is truly what you say it may be then I will be behind it 100%...and yes I will sign my name as well.

I am not holding my breath though!

I will defer judgement until I see the outcome.

I, like Bankrupt, have been singed a few too many times...

Time will tell.

Rat :shift:

You can heal from a singeing, it's when they burn a hole all the way through it will be hard to bounce back...

Yep!!...that is me to a "T"

While I refrain from the negative contagion...my opinions are my own...

I am burned out...beat up and frankly just look at Con-Way as a paycheck for the interim...until I can find something else.

I no longer have any faith in my company...

My life has been turned upside down more than once in the last six months and I am tired...exhausted!!!

I have witnessed many a good folk kicked in the groin by this organization. I have witnessed the 're-engineering' phase of it...taking a year in the planning and utilization all the while hiring people and then without the least bit of warning...BAM...CYA...have a nice life...

Some of the folks in my old barn didn't even make 'shirt' until they were 'adiosed'...

This certainly doesn't do much to instill confidence in your employer...and your future!

Rat

I should have included the complete description of this level of engagement

Disillusioned and potentially exhausted, these employees are top producers who aren't achieving their personal definition of success and satisfaction. They can be bitterly vocal that senior leaders are making bad decisions or that colleagues are not pulling their weight. If left alone, they are likely to slip down the contribution scale to become Disengaged, often bringing down those around them. They may leave, but they are more likely to take a breather and work less hard.

sound like anyone you know?

Where is the part about once achieving their personal definition of success and satisfaction - on a daily basis. But then having the rug pulled out from beneath them? Oh, no problem, I would love to work an extra 10 years.

Was there anything in that report about deep penetration?

Look, I think this thing is a potential start on a long road and IF they follow through with it, there could be rewards for Conway. But there is nothing that makes me believe I should jump on the happy wagon and throw my support behind it and participate. I am being gentle when I say their credibility has been soiled.

Where is the part about once achieving their personal definition of success and satisfaction - on a daily basis. But then having the rug pulled out from beneath them?

Was there anything in there about deep penetration?

Look, I think this thing is a potential start on a long road and IF they follow through with it, there could be rewards for Conway. But there is nothing that makes me believe I should jump on the happy wagon and throw my support behind it and participate. I am being gentle when I say their credibility has been soiled.

And that is the point is it not???

At what point am I just supposed to belly up and suddenly believe this company has changed?

Con-Way has a distinct history of not wanting to hear anything their employees have to say. It always been..."like it or hit the door"...now when they are in trouble they miracuosly want our help...

Notwithstanding John L.'s involvement...it seems to me just to be another program to soothe the masses...I hope I am wrong... I said in another post I would defer judgement until the results become clear...just not holding my breath!

Rat

And that is the point is it not???

At what point am I just supposed to belly up and suddenly believe this company has changed?

Con-Way has a distinct history of not wanting to hear anything their employees have to say. It always been..."like it or hit the door"...now when they are in trouble they miracuosly want our help...

Notwithstanding John L.'s involvement...it seems to me just to be another program to soothe the masses...I hope I am wrong... I said in another post I would defer judgement until the results become clear...just not holding my breath!

Rat

Yup, Why would I not believe that this is just another temporary initiative to placate the masses.

Yup, Why would I not believe that this is just another temporary initiative to placate the masses.

Unfortunately Bank...I think that is what it will turn out to be....too many layers between John L. and us to be effective. This company is infested with prima donnas who think they are above it all...and the jist of the thing will die on the vine.

Rat :TR10driving03: