Estes | Estes purchases Yellow Equipment

Tag axels on snow good luck...
Actually tag axles are better on snow. Your traction on snow or any slippery road depends on the friction between your tires and the road surface. That friction depends on the pressure of the tire on the road surface which in turn depends on the weight each tire carries. For the same freight load, 4 tires exert more pressure on the road than 8. Give me the heaviest load and I'll run in snow anytime. Now as far as getting started in a snowy parking lot after a break, a tandem in lockout might get you moving better because of a slippery spot when you parked. That's a different issue than moving down the road.

Last edited:
Tag axles are also a much cheaper way to buy trucks. Let’s not forget these units weren’t even paid off yet- Estes bought them from the finance company. I was told they got them from about 50% of the fair market value- They will deliver freight. I mean honestly they can’t be any worse than some of the T660 Glider shop trucks. Those have seen better days.

More to come soon

Actually tag axles are better on snow. Your traction on snow or any slippery road depends on the friction between your tires and the road surface. That friction depends on the pressure of the tire on the road surface which in turn depends on the weight each tire carries. For the same freight load, 4 tires exert more pressure on the road than 8. Give me the heaviest load and I'll run in snow anytime. Now as far as getting started in a snowy parking lot after a break, a tandem in lockout might get you moving better because of a slippery spot when you parked. That's a different issue than moving down the road.
I agree with the tag, the pusher tends to pack snow in front of the drive.
John Guinard who owned Northeastern at one time was the best at setting the weight distribution on the axles.
His drivers carried wooden wedges, he would tell them over the phone where to place the wedges.

I agree with the tag, the pusher tends to pack snow in front of the drive.
John Guinard who owned Northeastern at one time was the best at setting the weight distribution on the axles.
His drivers carried wooden wedges, he would tell them over the phone where to place the wedges.
Actually I may not have been as clear as I should have been on my original post. What I meant to say was that tractors with raise-able pusher axles (or single axle tractors in general) are generally better at running on snow because for the same load, they put more weight on the tires giving more adhesion/traction.

Tag axles are also a much cheaper way to buy trucks. Let’s not forget these units weren’t even paid off yet- Estes bought them from the finance company. I was told they got them from about 50% of the fair market value- They will deliver freight. I mean honestly they can’t be any worse than some of the T660 Glider shop trucks. Those have seen better days.

More to come soon
Some of the smaller terminals have some utter junk they make their drivers use. Every other week getting worked on

The old Fords and Sterlings had manually adjustable tags which did work great. These new tag axles are computer operated and there is no manual valve in cab to set them to the desired pressure unfortunately.

Sorry, but the Yellow Volvo with the non-powered axle forward of the powered axle is a pusher axle. When the non-powered is behind it's a tag axle.

Sorry, But the question was on the rear axle and that is a tag axle as it states in the story you shared.
"Whereas a tag axle is located behind the drive axles to take some of the weight off the rear drive axles when the vehicle is fully loaded".

Sorry, But the question was on the rear axle and that is a tag axle as it states in the story you shared.
"Whereas a tag axle is located behind the drive axles to take some of the weight off the rear drive axles when the vehicle is fully loaded".
I responded to your response to steercrazee and the original post was about Yellow's tractor which had a pusher axle as I showed in the photo. Many people use the term "tag axle" when in fact they are talking about a pusher axle. Kind of like calling any type of engine brake a "Jake brake" even if it's really not. I don't see any post in this thread where anyone refers to the "rear axle" being the liftable axle either, just saying.