FedEx Freight | FedEx can't find drivers!

BumpDraft

TB Lurker
Credits
We'll lets see we were told that several centers are in dyer need of drivers!
1. We'll considering fedex had 4 different change of operations in which they screwed over thousand of drivers and their families that could be a reason.
2. When you treat your current employees like a piece of garbage and no respect the word gets out on the street. That could be a reason you can't find drivers.
3. The bottom line is that the big honchos of this company have sadly turned this workplace into one of the worst places to work. It's a dam shame but I don't feel bad one bit for them struggling to find drivers.

1. We'll considering fedex had 4 different change of operations in which they screwed over thousand of drivers and their families that could be a reason.
2. When you treat your current employees like a piece of garbage and no respect the word gets out on the street. That could be a reason you can't find drivers.
3. The bottom line is that the big honchos of this company have sadly turned this workplace into one of the worst places to work. It's a dam shame but I don't feel bad one bit for them struggling to find drivers.

Don't want to burst your bubble but it's not big bad FedEx. No LTL can find drivers. SAIA, OD, even YRC has adds out trying to find drives. This is not the primo job I used to be.

Don't want to burst your bubble but it's not big bad FedEx. No LTL can find drivers. SAIA, OD, even YRC has adds out trying to find drives. This is not the primo job I used to be.
Drivers can be found. Its dockworkers with CDL's that can't be found. Some terminals in my area have less that 20 mile "road" runs. It takes these drivers longer to hook then drive to their destination. We have "city" drivers who are forced dispatched to do road turns at the end of their shift, working almost 14 hours daily. These "city" drivers are doing road work on a log but getting paid mileage instead of overtime. However to team purple's benefit, these "city" drivers get screwed on their vacation pay of only 40 hours whereas a road driver gets an average week's pay vacation check. These so called "city" drivers will be working nights and forced to do turns on an almost daily basis for the next 5 to 10 years. Our "road" drivers can expect short runs for the next decade of their lives. They do however get to freeze their butts off on cold dock though all winter long. So its no surprise they can't find "drivers". That's just what the job entails, not too mention the large pay gap between us and UPS freight. The **** poor treatment however is always available and on full display.

UPSF, FedEx, Conway, with these companies truck drivers are a thing of the past. You have to be dock workers now. No real truck drivers will apply for that...

UPSF, FedEx, Conway, with these companies truck drivers are a thing of the past. You have to be dock workers now. No real truck drivers will apply for that...
That would be the biggest reason that OD is doing so well. They pay their drivers to be DRIVERS.

Drivers can be found. Its dockworkers with CDL's that can't be found. Some terminals in my area have less that 20 mile "road" runs. It takes these drivers longer to hook then drive to their destination. We have "city" drivers who are forced dispatched to do road turns at the end of their shift, working almost 14 hours daily. These "city" drivers are doing road work on a log but getting paid mileage instead of overtime. However to team purple's benefit, these "city" drivers get screwed on their vacation pay of only 40 hours whereas a road driver gets an average week's pay vacation check. These so called "city" drivers will be working nights and forced to do turns on an almost daily basis for the next 5 to 10 years. Our "road" drivers can expect short runs for the next decade of their lives. They do however get to freeze their butts off on cold dock though all winter long. So its no surprise they can't find "drivers". That's just what the job entails, not too mention the large pay gap between us and UPS freight. The **** poor treatment however is always available and on full display.

Everyone lags behind UPSF. SAIA is offering a $5000 dollar signing bonus. OD is going to the schools to get drivers. McClain's is offering $2000 sign on bonus. I'm out west with some big runs and lots of city work and we can't find anyone to drive our trucks. So no... driver can't be found!

That would be the biggest reason that OD is doing so well. They pay their drivers to be DRIVERS.

I pounded the patio for a year at OD when I hired on. We need drivers so bad right now you wouldn't be out there for long.

I agree that it's not big bad FedEx. The entire industry is begging for drivers right now. Reimer Express Lines has a standing offer for team drivers and owner/operators, posturing the mileage rates, union benefits and time off. I was talking to them as one of many opportunities when I decided I was fed up with being here. If FedEx hadn't bent over backwards to keep me (they're acutely aware of the driver shortage) I could well have ended up there.

Ward is using dock workers to drive little 6 wheelers around (No CDL required!) Granted, To load up 6-8 skids and return to the terminal is not very cost effective but hey! Some Companies will try anything!

Ward is using dock workers to drive little 6 wheelers around (No CDL required!) Granted, To load up 6-8 skids and return to the terminal is not very cost effective but hey! Some Companies will try anything!
YRCF has dock people with no driver's license, so they send them out to stops close by with a skid on a forklift?????

I talked to one at a grocery warehouse told me he was out of a different terminal helping out he was making $11.00+

Guess this whole thread puts to rest the myth that if we vote in Union, Fedex will just replace us with contractors, new hires, etc. Speaks volumes about the position of strength we are in, if we could just collectively see the fact.

Can you please give me an example of how they have screwed you over. Because if I am getting screwed over I might not notice. I know the supervisors arent always the best but theyget paid about 40% less than I do so I over Look it. I might be missing something. Please let me know.

I find it funny all these union threads talk about respect. Respect is not something that can be delagated by a contract. Most people I deal with at FedEx don't desevre respect, most are self absorded crybabies who think management should fall to their knees and kiss their feet. In my 5 years I have only had one instance where a red shirt disrespected me and I handled it with the hub manager and human resources. My in law retired from UPS as a package delivery driver and some of the stories he tells about how he was treated and talked to be management make this place seem great. That will probably be the atmosphere at FXF after the union is voted in. If the union is what the majority wants that's fine but my vote will be NO.

Well said driver. I could agree more
I find it funny all these union threads talk about respect. Respect is not something that can be delagated by a contract. Most people I deal with at FedEx don't desevre respect, most are self absorded crybabies who think management should fall to their knees and kiss their feet. In my 5 years I have only had one instance where a red shirt disrespected me and I handled it with the hub manager and human resources. My in law retired from UPS as a package delivery driver and some of the stories he tells about how he was treated and talked to be management make this place seem great. That will probably be the atmosphere at FXF after the union is voted in. If the union is what the majority wants that's fine but my vote will be NO.

I don't understand the whole "disrespected by management" thing myself. I'm on a first name basis with several of the honchos at FXFC and I send them emails if I have any questions or problems. I might complain about the political nonsense that goes on, or occasionally how junky some of the old pups are, but the only time I felt disrespected by management was when the safety and compliance manager (who's an ex DOT cop) called me a liar behind my back. I threatened to drop my plates, and he's been silent since.

I'd recommend trying sending emails, at least to your terminal managers and regional operations directors, if you have an issue with how you're being treated by the redshirts. Our operations director talks to Bill Logue sometimes, if an issue is serious enough. They do give a damn, incidentally. I know a lot of you don't think so, but I was surprised that Bill Logue even knew who FXFC was, let alone having talks with our department heads over border problems and other issues. Try reaching out, you might surprise yourself.

And to elaborate, I didn't know anyone at FXFC when I started here. I didn't get preferential treatment or anything special. They learned who I was by reputation, nothing more. Just to clarify that for the people who would undoubtedly say that I have an unfair advantage by knowing someone. I earned my respect, and I'm proud of my reputation with the company.