FedEx Freight | FedEx can't find drivers!

Just to add to the sign above... DTR has had a sign out for over a year now. I would take a picture but i have hard enough time answering the thing let alone taking pic.

I cant believe what comes out of this computer sometimes. Every trucking company out there is struggling to find drivers. I looked into pay scale at several trucking companies when all this Union stuff started. UPS ground has rang my phone off the wall, Saia offered to bring me in at their top scale immediately. UPSF begged me to just come in and talk. After all I heard from these trucking companies I am happy to stay at Fedex. Before I came to FedEx I owned my own trucking company for nineteen years and had six trucks. I had all the freedom I wanted but struggled to find drivers and with benefits. I can be objective as I have been on the other side. The main reason a lot of drivers are afraid of Fedex and UPS is the doubles/triples. It is plain and simple.

Whatever the reason, maybe its doubles/triples, maybe its overall compensation, maybe its unheated docks, maybe its the way people are treated, maybe its HazMat, maybe it's the smoking ban in trucks, maybe its the hours, maybe its short runs, who knows. I do know this, there is a reason why people don't want to come work here. How long can FXF remain the number one LTL carrier without drivers? Something has to give. This problem is just going to intensify as time goes on. The baby boomer generation will continue to retire in large numbers for the next 15 plus years. The twenty something people only want to do work that doesn't require them to get dirty. The time has come for the carriers to compete not only on price and service, but labor as well. Something that will benefit the entire industry.

Whatever the reason, maybe its doubles/triples, maybe its overall compensation, maybe its unheated docks, maybe its the way people are treated, maybe its HazMat, maybe it's the smoking ban in trucks, maybe its the hours, maybe its short runs, who knows. I do know this, there is a reason why people don't want to come work here. How long can FXF remain the number one LTL carrier without drivers? Something has to give. This problem is just going to intensify as time goes on. The baby boomer generation will continue to retire in large numbers for the next 15 plus years. The twenty something people only want to do work that doesn't require them to get dirty. The time has come for the carriers to compete not only on price and service, but labor as well. Something that will benefit the entire industry.
Ok as a 29 yr old truck driver that has been driving since I was 21 I'm offended that you would lump me in with the other worthless 20 something yr olds that still live at home with their parents. And yes I'm being sarcastic I really don't wear my feelings on my sleeve.

Now why would a 18 - 20 yr old want to wait till he is 21 to start trying to get into a job where he will most likely either continue to have to live at home with his parents or starve? Outside of ltl you are lucky to make more then .38cpm and if you have anything on your record you will have a hard time getting that. Of course if things get desperate enough that all might change.

Ok as a truck driver that has been driving since I was 21 I'm offended that you would lump me in with the other worthless 20 something yr olds that still live at home with their parents. And yes I'm being sarcastic I really don't wear my feelings on my sleeve.

Now why would a 18 - 20 yr old want to wait till he is 21 to start trying to get into a job where he will most likely either continue to have to live at home with his parents or starve? Outside of ltl you are lucky to make more the .38cpm and if you have anything on your record you will have a hard time getting that. Of course if things get desperate enough that all might change.

I was referring to the current generation of twenty somethings. Why aren't those folks applying in droves to work in trucking? I haven't even found volunteers at fast food places and that's after I showed them my paycheck. They all have said no! Every reason I have posted, someone personally has told me why they don't want to work at FXF.

We used to get great guys at our place when we had to hire a new driver but lately the caliber of driver that show up are really something. I have had them show up for a road test , no gloves, dressed as not to get dirty, uh the list goes on and on .. open the hood up and they loom at you like your nuts and the sweat starts pouring off them because they are afraid I will ask questions. .. the one guy seriously asked me when hooking up air lines if the "red goes on red and blue goes on blue rite"I just looked at him and said are you serious? So when this is what you get really starts to show where the industry's going!!!!
Now the hours the lifestyle you lead nobody wants to work nights and weekends and 12-14 hours per shift and yes alot dont want to get dirty we have one of those at our house also... The older guys like myself I look at what this job pays and all the new hoops to jump through and ask myself why isnt the pay going up faster with all the new things we have to do be able to be compliant I mean why are we expected to jump through all these hoops for basically the same as we were making 5-8 years ago?Not alot of positives to jumping into trucking! !!!!

I was referring to the current generation of twenty somethings. Why aren't those folks applying in droves to work in trucking? I haven't even found volunteers at fast food places and that's after I showed them my paycheck. They all have said no! Every reason I have posted, someone personally has told me why they don't want to work at FXF.
c1daa8edf7a806e1f29c19508fd9f229.jpg

after we get the union in fedex will have all kinds of people signing up cause they know they can't get screwed.thats my thought.i my be wrong but doubt it.

We can always get screwed by complacency.
When this company gets organized and when this company's employees get a contract they must remain vigilant.
Our worst enemy will be the coworker that allows the company to bend a rule because the bent rule is convenient at that particular moment.
When we allow rules to be bent repeatedly, the foul words "past practice" come into play.
If we allow past practice to become an oft used phrase, we will be tubing ourselves with no lube.
RC told me to tell y'all......

We can always get screwed by complacency.
When this company gets organized and when this company's employees get a contract they must remain vigilant.
Our worst enemy will be the coworker that allows the company to bend a rule because the bent rule is convenient at that particular moment.
When we allow rules to be bent repeatedly, the foul words "past practice" come into play.
If we allow past practice to become an oft used phrase, we will be tubing ourselves with no lube.
RC told me to tell y'all......

Much like the term H/R currently tosses about... Center Discretion. :smilie93C_peelout: