XPO | FedEx Freight, Con-way Freight Workers Reject Teamsters

I am neither for, nor against the Union.

But the hypocrisy is amazing. They refer to the union as third party interference, but they have no problem hiring a third party aka lobbyists for millions of dollars a year to represent aka "intefere" with policy on their behalf in Congress.

Simply amazing.

Must have some great hot dogs in the northeast!
p
Maybe their wives, in-laws, or parents pay the bills.

Amazing how if ya throw a monkey a peanut and crank the handle, he'll dance and collect your money if ya train him just right.

Teach him this part of economics and make'em feel real smart...
..but train the dumb monkeys to abstain from joining groups where the real money and power is and you can keep it all

I am neither for, nor against the Union.

But the hypocrisy is amazing. They refer to the union as third party interference, but they have no problem hiring a third party aka lobbyists for millions of dollars a year to represent aka "intefere" with policy on their behalf in Congress.

Simply amazing.

They hire a third party as union busters too.
But the third party they hire that will become our true downfall is the sub service purchase carrier. Oh! and the cheap temp dock worker. And soon, non-CDL holders to operate our hostlers.What's next?

These issues have become more prevalent as time passes. They will continue to expand these practices past a pathetic point of no return.

And we will wonder if there was ever anything we could have done. But some will still think the corporation can do no wrong,......until he gets fired because he stabs a drum or rolls a curb/stop sign with a 53' long box in the city.

I'm staying focused! I know we can do this! In a 31 year old staunchly non-union company, We have 5 terminals that have reached a vote and 40% of them have succeeded in achieving collective bargaining. This is HUUUUGE!!!

Boy, you guys sure do change your tune when you lose one.

Vote yes, you are brave souls forging a new path for your future.

Vote no, and you are monkeys that are easily distracted by shiny objects.

I hope you don't ever wonder why there is such disdain for your union from many people.

Boy, you guys sure do change your tune when you lose one. Vote yes, you are brave souls forging a new path for your future. Vote no, and you are monkeys that are easily distracted by shiny objects. I hope you don't ever wonder why there is such disdain for your union from many people.

There certainly is something to say for momentum. Most, including myself had hopes of an overwhelming snowball effect. People drop off when things don't go perfectly well. I can only speak for myself, I am still focused.
It's going to take a while longer.
We did effect some positive changes. Please don't forget to thank your coworkers that helped make that possible. They did so by growing a spine and speaking with a louder voice then before.
Enjoy the spoils of our conflict brother.

Many know I did stand down on this issue ..... And I will continue to stand down.... I always knew it would come to this .... The union glory days are truly gone... America has changed along with the economic driver. ... We live in a different world ..... When I first posted the thread "Remember Overnite" most just laughed and said this new movement has caught fire and will spread like "Wild Fire" ...... And although that thread draws a different parallel the results will ultimately be the same ... The union can never gain enough leverage to push this through... The sad reality .... Because the union is not without some merit .... I only wish the Teamsters would move on from this LTL movement and find better ways to help the current members ... Will they continue to give again in 2019 ? The up and comers in this market will remain union free because they must have that competitive edge. Union work restrictions bring a big disadvantage .... A disadvantage that can be seen in this web sites bone yard. In my 40 plus years in this business I've seen and done it all ...... It's time to move on ....This is one battle the Teamsters will never win.... I think Hoffa knows this but for some reason he still wants to play .... Why ???? That's beyond me..... You do owe the Teamsters for what you have today .... I at least understand that.

Boy, you guys sure do change your tune when you lose one.

Vote yes, you are brave souls forging a new path for your future.

Vote no, and you are monkeys that are easily distracted by shiny objects.

I hope you don't ever wonder why there is such disdain for your union from many people.

I understand you are against the union I myself am on the fence but if it weren't for union companies conway would be paying us about 9.00 dollars an hour and .25 a mile that you can take to the bank anyone that disagrees needs to be drug tested right away!!!:biggrin:

I understand you are against the union I myself am on the fence but if it weren't for union companies conway would be paying us about 9.00 dollars an hour and .25 a mile that you can take to the bank anyone that disagrees needs to be drug tested right away!!!:biggrin:
This is a very true statement .... The Teamsters and Hoffa Sr. did this .... Jr. should be run out of town .... He is a worthless POS..... I wouldn't **** on him if he was on fire.

Many know I did stand down on this issue ..... And I will continue to stand down.... I always knew it would come to this .... The union glory days are truly gone... America has changed along with the economic driver. ... We live in a different world ..... When I first posted the thread "Remember Overnite" most just laughed and said this new movement has caught fire and will spread like "Wild Fire" ...... And although that thread draws a different parallel the results will ultimately be the same ... The union can never gain enough leverage to push this through... The sad reality .... Because the union is not without some merit .... I only wish the Teamsters would move on from this LTL movement and find better ways to help the current members ... Will they continue to give again in 2019 ? The up and comers in this market will remain union free because they must have that competitive edge. Union work restrictions bring a big disadvantage .... A disadvantage that can be seen in this web sites bone yard. In my 40 plus years in this business I've seen and done it all ...... It's time to move on ....This is one battle the Teamsters will never win.... I think Hoffa knows this but for some reason he still wants to play .... Why ???? That's beyond me..... You do owe the Teamsters for what you have today .... I at least understand that.

This post is again defeatist. Not thinking you are standing down today.

The vastly overwhelming reason for no votes is fear. Other reasons are justified but the base cause is fear. Your resentment towards the union is rooted in fear just as my resentment towards Conway is.

I could be wrong; You may just want to rub it in with a vindicated I-told-you-so. This thing just started a few months ago. Organizing at Conway is brand-new. It is grossly premature to count out the union.

This doesn't sound like your standing down, saying it will never happen will sway some votes from for to against, no one likes to lose. The Union will have a hard time because of the non-union mindset, which I call brainwashing, from an early age to be against the Union. If your not willing to better yourself with higher compensation and better work rules then the Union 's not for you

This post is again defeatist. Not thinking you are standing down today.

The vastly overwhelming reason for no votes is fear. Other reasons are justified but the base cause is fear. Your resentment towards the union is rooted in fear just as my resentment towards Conway is.

I could be wrong; You may just want to rub it in with a vindicated I-told-you-so. This thing just started a few months ago. Organizing at Conway is brand-new. It is grossly premature to count out the union.
No I-told-you-so BR ..........But I do have a question for you. I work for Saia and this is the best LTL company I have ever worked for ..... I've worked union and non-union in my long career..... But the Saia culture is employee respect ..... You look at companies like FedEx .... Conway .... These companies have increased healthcare cost every single year for the last few years and taken away many perks .... Saia has absorbed the increases and have not increased premiums on healthcare in years.... They have given all the pay decreases back that they took when the economy took a hit .... Full match on 401k to 6% ... A working environment that is truly unbelievable .... They look the other way with petty BS .... As long as you don't have an accident you can pretty much do anything ... They are not perfect but the CEO at this company has always understood that keeping the union out has to do with treating your employees with respect ... That is the culture of Saia ..... Having said that let me ask you if you still think Saia would be better served with a union ? I know the answer is NO ...... But I just wonder your mindset on a union if a company treats their employees with respect and dignity .... I can understand Conway needing a union .... They do not have a CEO like ours. Are you just for unions because of that contract? And do think that a contract can guarantee you respect and dignity? Job Security?

Last edited by a moderator:
And soon, non-CDL holders to operate our hostlers.What's next?

When I was with 396, I was a UNION non-CDL hostler for a period. We had a fair amount of sub-contract haulers doing P&D and line-haul too. Starting dock pay was higher than starting P&D, though drivers topped out almost 70% higher.

It all depends on what is negotiated. Don't believe that teamster representation solves all those "problems".

No I-told-you-so BR ..........But I do have a question for you. I work for Saia and this is the best LTL company I have ever worked for ..... I've worked union and non-union in my long career..... But the Saia culture is employee respect ..... You look at companies like FedEx .... Conway .... These companies have increased healthcare cost every single year for the last few years and taken away many perks .... Saia has absorbed the increases and have not increased premiums on healthcare in years.... They have given all the pay decreases back that they took when the economy took a hit .... Full match on 401k to 6% ... A working environment that is truly unbelievable .... They look the other way with petty BS .... As long as you don't have an accident you can pretty much do anything ... They are not perfect but the CEO at this company has always understood that keeping the union out has to do with treating your employees with respect ... That is the culture of Saia ..... Having said that let me ask you if you still think Saia would be better served with a union ? I know the answer is NO ...... But I just wonder your mindset on a union if a company treats their employees with respect and dignity .... I can understand Conway needing a union .... They do not have a CEO like ours. Are you just for unions because of that contract? And do think that a contract can guarantee you respect and dignity? Job Security?

Runaway - you hit the nail on the head...this was exactly the issue when I was at corporate...and believe me, it festers downward to all the other levels as well...

20 years ago, we had what you have. We never even gave the union a thought as the attitude was things will only get better.

We were wrong. It has been a race to the bottom.

To you and the next poster I can respond that I understand fully that our long list of issues would not all be fixed. But I also understand that a major portion of them would never have been an issue.

Nobody would work for them. That's why they pay more. You pay what everybody else does, or you would'nt have any employees. It's common sense. Don't you think?

You earn your respect. And besides i don't think you can pay a mortgage or utilities with respect and dignity..sounds like a funeral.