FedEx Freight | FedEx pilots vote in favor of strike in push for pay rise !

The list would be long, if "better than" is the only criteria.

Pretty much any union CAN represent. Doesn't have to be a transportation related union. If I remember correctly, Uber drivers signed cards for representation by a Machinist's union.

In my opinion, FedEx pilots union would be BEST. But they declined our request back in the day, being the elitist group that they are. If they had the good sense to think It though, imagine the leverage Drivers AND Pilots combined could have.

Feel free to start a thread on the topic of which union(s) could be the best choice. I'll play.
:smilie93c peelout:
Before UPS Freight went teamsters I looked 8n to the IAM machinest union they were only interested in mechanics not drivers. I wish there were other options but honestly I know of none. Were hoping with the new leadership things will change for the better. We'll know with in a few months.

Ahh maybe if the pilots would have joined a union that called itself an “association” FedEx would play ball. The audacity of these folks, asking for a raise and other working condition improvements to fly these expensive pieces of equipment is just too much for them to bear.

Ahh maybe if the pilots would have joined a union that called itself an “association” FedEx would play ball. The audacity of these folks, asking for a raise and other working condition improvements to fly these expensive pieces of equipment is just too much for them to bear.
if both were union . and freight went on strike.. the pilots won't cross the picket line ,they will just fly over it

If either side declines, both parties enter a 30-day "cooling off" period, after which pilots and management can engage in self-help - a strike by the union or a lockout by management.

So then what then FDX comes to a complete halt ?

Solidarity ✊🏻

Anyone that thinks there's a possibility of the Pilots and drivers sharing the same union needs to seek mental help immediately.

You have no clue how absurd that is.

Anyone that thinks there's a possibility of the Pilots and drivers sharing the same union needs to seek mental help immediately.

You have no clue how absurd that is.
Only because they are NOT interested in lowly truck drivers.

Any more absurd than a Union representing Professional drivers AND also representing Cafeteria & Lunchroom Workers? Teamsters represent both, as well as Custodians & Police and anyone willing to pay 2.5 hours (dues) per month.

Last edited:
Only because they are NOT interested in lowly truck drivers.

Any more absurd that a Union representing Professional drivers AND also representing Cafeteria & Lunchroom Workers? Teamsters represent both, as well as Custodians & Police and anyone willing to pay 2.5 hours (dues) per month.

Your first sentence is the absolute and final reason.

I don't think anyone here really understands a Fx pilot.
I don't think I've ever encountered a more entitled class of employee in my life.
They wouldn't do anything to associate themselves within a mile of the likes of a driver.

Thing is, they DO have the balls, and pull to strike. Their demands will be met.

Class A drivers are a dime a dozen, dispite what the media says.
Heavy cargo pilots are rare. Why would they give up their leverage and tie themselves to such an expendable, and eaisly replaced class of employee?

I'm not saying stranger union representation hasn't happened, only that THIS union will never happen.

Last edited:
It has been a long time, but I am pretty sure this is the info a group of us drivers were reading about this. I am guessing either some of you haven't been around long enough to remember or simply had no idea what was going on. Our bonus used to be tied to FedEx corp numbers and not just Freight numbers. Here is what was in the shareholders annual report for 2007 page 36. We got a very reduced bonus that year.
"In October 2006, the pilots ratified a new four-year labor contract that included signing bonuses and other upfront compensation of approximately $143 million, as well as pay increases and other benefit enhancements. These costs were partially mitigated by reductions in variable incentive compensation."

Last edited:
It has been a long time, but I am pretty sure this is the info a group of us drivers were reading about this. I am guessing either some of you haven't been around long enough to remember or simply had no idea what was going on. Our bonus used to be tied to FedEx corp numbers and not just Freight numbers. Here is what was in the shareholders annual report for 2007 page 36. We got a very reduced bonus that year.
"In October 2006, the pilots ratified a new four-year labor contract that included signing bonuses and other upfront compensation of approximately $143 million, as well as pay increases and other benefit enhancements. These costs were partially mitigated by reductions in variable incentive compensation."
That literally says nothing specific. Especially doesn't say it was taken from freight. Also, Fedex wasn't even giving out bonuses at the time as a company.

Yeah, I'll give you the point that we (I) did NOT pay close attention to earnings reports back then. I do recall a laughable bonus one year, and almost none were anything to brag about - also being tied to FedEx Corporate (Express/Ground) numbers.

That being said, the statement only says costs (for pilots) were "MITIGATED" by reductions in VIC. When criteria are not met, bonuses are not paid. Much like the standard statement that <insert any> cost was "mitigated" by higher fuel surcharges, or higher rates, cheaper purchase transportation, or some factor(s).

Either way, no freight bonus was taken away, in order to pay pilots.

Yeah, I'll give you the point that we (I) did NOT pay close attention to earnings reports back then. I do recall a laughable bonus one year, and almost none were anything to brag about - also being tied to FedEx Corporate (Express/Ground) numbers.

That being said, the statement only says costs (for pilots) were "MITIGATED" by reductions in VIC. When criteria are not met, bonuses are not paid. Much like the standard statement that <insert any> cost was "mitigated" by higher fuel surcharges, or higher rates, cheaper purchase transportation, or some factor(s).

Either way, no freight bonus was taken away, in order to pay pilots.
Maybe us drivers were reading more into it than what it was, but even our terminal manager at the time agreed with us. He said it was crappy what they were doing and the company will do what's best for the company.

Maybe us drivers were reading more into it than what it was, but even our terminal manager at the time agreed with us. He said it was crappy what they were doing and the company will do what's best for the company.
Wow he's probably is feeling the pain and pressure also .
You know management is going to get cut too so the shoe
is going to fall close to all .

Before UPS Freight went teamsters I looked 8n to the IAM machinest union they were only interested in mechanics not drivers. I wish there were other options but honestly I know of none. Were hoping with the new leadership things will change for the better. We'll know with in a few months.
NEMF drivers were represented by the IAM. The IAM Pension was a decent plan.

The list would be long, if "better than" is the only criteria.

Pretty much any union CAN represent. Doesn't have to be a transportation related union. If I remember correctly, Uber drivers signed cards for representation by a Machinist's union.

In my opinion, FedEx pilots union would be BEST. But they declined our request back in the day, being the elitist group that they are. If they had the good sense to think It though, imagine the leverage Drivers AND Pilots combined could have.

Feel free to start a thread on the topic of which union(s) could be the best choice. I'll play.
:smilie93c peelout:
That’s what I was thinking, I didn’t know somebody tried it.