FedEx Freight | Fedex tests autonomous trucks

I can see us in 20 years. We dont have truck drivers or the licensing for same. Robots take care of all that now.

Then what?
70 years later …

I'm not going to get to see that Brother .
Me neither.

In some ways I think thats a good thing. Life is something to enjoy. I hope lord willing we all will have something out of it however long we live.

I hate to say this but in some ways I do not like what I am seeing in terms of technology evolving in ways that does not serve People. So I push back a little bit.

Hate to tell you but there are 2 different companies testing this technology on cars in Pittsburgh. 1 ran over a lady in a crosswalk and killed her and the other has had several major collisions. The city will make them pause testing for a couple months and then their back at it. 125 miles down the highway is nothing like city driving.
They have been testing these s##t vehicles out here for years. Everyone knows to avoid them.They also have run someone over and killed one. But here's the beauty, was blamed on the human space taker upper, not reacting fast enough. Oh yeah the car tho is fine. Drivers have to be on standby, because their new toys can't handle any adverse weather. Can't make this up!

Spoiler alert: THEY WON'T.
Hell, my truck's speed sensors and frontal radar go bonkers when it comes a steady rain. Guess what you lose when those go out? For starters, your truck no longer automatically backs off the throttle on cruise when you get within 3.5 seconds of a slower vehicle. Then you lose hill start assist (so the truck will roll backwards if you're easing into the throttle to try to keep from spinning the drives on wet, greasy pavement). Then you lose traction control, which is required for all sorts of stuff including roll prevention and anti-lock brakes. Basically, all of the systems that make autonomous trucks theoretically possible no longer work -- in a regular damned rain! And they want you to believe, that these systems are gonna allow a truck to drive itself!

I also like how they always show this garbage on perfect days. Show me how well those sensors work on wet snowy days with about 6 inches of slush covering them.
Or on straight ice in a wet drizzle at freezing fog coming up on a 10% downgrade that includes a 10mph 220 degree turnback at 14%. then run downgrade in a variety of curves and hills, any of which can put you into the trees.

I remember a T intersection at the bottom near Bethlehelm PA a river ran beside it. That rig almost did not stop. 60,000 pounds of export in the can. I dumped my air on that one and had the springs make the stop.