XPO | first speeding ticket

BlueColoredTrucks

TB Regular
Credits
Well i got my first speeding ticket ever in my life (only 25 years old) and it happened in a commercial vehicle.
For those in california, it was on the 5 north at gorman, right when the 45mph zone turns into a 35 mph zone, the CHP tagged me at 48mph...

Got a court date and everything, it's in Kern county, and i live in Orange county. (2ish hour drive). The officer was telling me that i should come to my court date because i have a good chance to win if i fight it...

...anyone with any experience got any advice?
im guessing lawyers are pretty expensive, but i know it's worth it to keep my record spotless....

i dont understand the concept though of fighting it? im young and naive lol, i got caught, what the hell am i supposed to say? are there any particulars like not admitting to it, or making some crap excuses like i missed a gear or his radar could have been off or scanned someone else, or my speedometer was off or some other crap?

or should i just take this ticket like a man, pay my fines, blemish my record, and drive like granny for the next 12 months?

advice would be greatly appreciated.

Missing gears or any other excuse is irrelevant to an officer protectiong the public from speeders. You fighting the ticket is your RIGHT and with one citation on your record just might be a good option. Learn your lesson and move on. You should take pride in your good driving record and you should protect it.

Thanks roadrage, i guess ill just go to my court date and see what happens.... it IS my only ticket, so as long as i dont get anymore i should be ..

...one more thing....what should i say in court?

Thanks roadrage, i guess ill just go to my court date and see what happens.... it IS my only ticket, so as long as i dont get anymore i should be ..

...one more thing....what should i say in court?

I've seen these two things happen in court. Some states might differ.

1. Go to court. Officer not there? Plead not guilty and go home.
Afraid to try #1?
2. Go to court. Plead guilty with supervision. (Traffic school, fine) Record will be clean.

If you are convicted, I believe you need to let your TM know about it and at the very least, notate it on the annual review of your driving record.
Also go over the Speeding policy with your TM.

Good Luck in court and start using the SMITH system. (Aim High In Steering and Keep Your Eyes Moving come to mind)

Well, you can get a master's degree in traffic school and it ain't coming off the record in California anymore. This rule applies to CDL holders only. (That's profilin', isn't it, and profilin' is wrong)...they changed that 3 years ago, which really sucks for a guy in your situation. Once the conviction stands, you have to report it to your SCM, don't hesitate. Company policy...And of course, notate it on your annual driving record review. About the best you can hope for in court is a reduction in the fine, unless you hope the officer doesn't show up. If he does, nothin' is gonna go your way. But, he might be telling you to go because he doesn't...(?) very possible..

i've already reported it to my personell the same day when i got back from my linehaul.
the officer was actually telling me to go to court and his words exactly were that it's like throwing dice, i have a 50/50 chance....

so basically all i can count on is that he doesnt show up to court?

i take blame for my fault and not trying to ***** or anything....

but yea....that profiling....or reverse profiling...they give us AMERICAN drivers a hard time with all that, even the hazmat fingerprinting and fines....

....and then they turn around and let that mexican truck driver program in so easily....

sometimes the good guys do end up getting screwed

anyway, im off to work now, i just had to kill some time because of that 2 hour push back, thanks for all the help guys

If he doesn't show up you can plead not guilty. It's kind of morally wrong because you were caught by radar.
It's one of those last minute judgement calls and hopefully you remember what officer friendly looks like.

Had a guy get challenged by a judge. He plead not guilty to a speeding ticket that was issued because of radar.
Officer was not there and judge said, "You are pleading guilty but you were caught on radar?"
Needless to say he freaked out and the judge twisted it to a traffic school ticket.
Had he held his bearings he would have gotten away with it.

It's a gutsy call to put yourself in that situation. Do the honest thing, it's your first offense.

i take blame for my fault and not trying to ***** or anything....

but yea....that profiling....or reverse profiling...they give us AMERICAN drivers a hard time with all that, even the hazmat fingerprinting and fines....

....and then they turn around and let that mexican truck driver program in so easily....

sometimes the good guys do end up getting screwed

anyway, im off to work now, i just had to kill some time because of that 2 hour push back, thanks for all the help guys

No Speeding or accidentally speeding! Be safe out there!:1036316054::smilie_132:

Well i got my first speeding ticket ever in my life (only 25 years old) and it happened in a commercial vehicle.
For those in california, it was on the 5 north at gorman, right when the 45mph zone turns into a 35 mph zone, the CHP tagged me at 48mph...

Got a court date and everything, it's in Kern county, and i live in Orange county. (2ish hour drive). The officer was telling me that i should come to my court date because i have a good chance to win if i fight it...

...anyone with any experience got any advice?
im guessing lawyers are pretty expensive, but i know it's worth it to keep my record spotless....

i dont understand the concept though of fighting it? im young and naive lol, i got caught, what the hell am i supposed to say? are there any particulars like not admitting to it, or making some crap excuses like i missed a gear or his radar could have been off or scanned someone else, or my speedometer was off or some other crap?

or should i just take this ticket like a man, pay my fines, blemish my record, and drive like granny for the next 12 months?

advice would be greatly appreciated.

If it was in a construction zone you are skewered, if not, get an attorney that handles traffic cases, find one on line or in the Yellow Pages.
It cost me about $275.- in my state, it's worth the money to keep your record clean. Good Luck:busted_blue:

GBA:USA:

Not sure about CA.In some states you can meet with the officer in halls outside the court to discuss the ticket.If you had conducted yourself in a proper fashion at the time of the incident and at the court house(attitude is everything).They might cut you a brake before you even walk into see the judge.Ex:orig. ticket 82 mph in 65 mph zone,165$ and 2 points.Dropped to stopped blocking intersection.165$ no points.The points are the thing you want to avoid.The fine from what I can see usually stays the same.It's all a revenue thing.Good luck and do some research with other people whom have gotten tickets in CA.

I have lived in Ca. almost my entire life, and I don't understand it. There is no explaining us. We just continue to put boneheads in office here, and they keep putting crap on the books. Like the genius who decided that "professional" drivers should be punished more severely than the regular joes out there. Probably someone who had a truck pull up along side of them one night, the size scared them, they wet their pants, said "i'm going to make them pay", and had the power to do it.

I have lived in Ca. almost my entire life, and I don't understand it. There is no explaining us. We just continue to put boneheads in office here, and they keep putting crap on the books. Like the genius who decided that "professional" drivers should be punished more severely than the regular joes out there. Probably someone who had a truck pull up along side of them one night, the size scared them, they wet their pants, said "i'm going to make them pay", and had the power to do it.
Yeah, same thing here in TX, the commercial driver gets punished even if it's not in a commercial vehicle. Depending on the Municipality, you may get it thrown out or some type of probation. But some city's don't care and they won't budge on it. You have to pay the fine and it goes on your record.

The courts are more interested in the revenue the the safety. The officer was probably telling you to show up so you can keep your clean record. maybe pay a fine with no points.

i just dont wanna look like an *** lol, especially since im so young (and look it too) they will automatically have pre-determined stereotypes and prejudices towards me.

i was caught on radar and now i plead not guilty so here comes the judge asking me: "on what account"? and i have nothing to say ahaha