Yellow | First wave of Yellow terminals will go for $1.9B; sale process ongoing

I don't dispute anything you said except a win is a win....I'm a Mets fan, in 1986 I watched the Mets win game 6 when a batted ball went through Bill Buckner's legs resulting in a game 7 that the Mets won...a win is still a win....
What’s a Mets?

ABF381, I have to take issue with calling UPS Freight an "organizing win" though since it was accepted that UPS Freight would be Teamster after being purchased by totally Teamster UPS.
PS - I too am disappointed by the fact that Teamsters haven't organized any LTL companies since deregulation. Teamster leadership IMHO has essentially given up on LTL and has focused on numerous small time disconnected occupations such as zoo keepers, school bus drivers, etc. as I've indicated in the past. The Teamsters Union has drifted far from its roots and to paraphrase an old saying "they no longer dance with the one they brought." The Teamsters Union as an organization has become more like big business, looking to grow its membership while abandoning its core group. My opinion, hammer away.
Tri, I want to augment what you're saying. IBT has (in my opinion) desperately diversified trying to maintain membership numbers. They have merged with BLET, BMWE, ITU, GCIU and perhaps others. They used to have the NWA pilots before the NWA/Delta merger, and they presently have successfully raided some airline aspects of the TWU and the IAM. Hence, some of the regional airline pilots, NetJets pilots, Southwest storekeepers and United mechanics are Teamsters.

IMG_20231214_084833573_HDRae9d33a1eaf85dcc.md.jpeg
That's from this week.
Still Yellow trucks and trailers there.
I don't think that sign will last as long as the big Red Star Express sign over there.
And here is the terminal in Kearny from this week. I never understood how we could have so much more freight than these jersey terminals. Somebody dropped the ball. Boats, trains, airplanes...total insanity everywhere.
Notice the great perfect sized New Penn trailer in the door.

IMG_20231215_144526615.md.jpeg IMG_20231215_144524563.md.jpeg

UPS Freight and before you start, a win is a win regardless of what Puffy thinks....I have never once said I was happy with the unions lack of organizing....nice deflection though....

I seem to remember that was a costly 'win'
Correct me if I am wrong as it's been a while.
Wasn't the trade off for allowing UPS Freight (former Overnite) to become a teamster non NMFA Carrier the teamster leadership permitted UPS (parcel) to withdraw from the Central States Pension Program? At a sizeable cost to UPS if I remember correctly, perhaps $6 BILLION in cash or so?? They were willing to spend $6 BILLION to NOT be a participant in the Central States Pension Program??
Effectively killing the Central States Pension until the infusion of taxpayer corporate welfare.
Thus the 'win' came about at a loss of the largest contributor to the Central States Pension Program....
I celebrate wins, maybe this was not a win to celebrate...

I seem to remember that was a costly 'win'
Correct me if I am wrong as it's been a while.
Wasn't the trade off for allowing UPS Freight (former Overnite) to become a teamster non NMFA Carrier the teamster leadership permitted UPS (parcel) to withdraw from the Central States Pension Program? At a sizeable cost to UPS if I remember correctly, perhaps $6 BILLION in cash or so?? They were willing to spend $6 BILLION to NOT be a participant in the Central States Pension Program??
Effectively killing the Central States Pension until the infusion of taxpayer corporate welfare.
Thus the 'win' came about at a loss of the largest contributor to the Central States Pension Program....
I celebrate wins, maybe this was not a win to celebrate...
Ok you are wrong....they have no choice if a member company wants to withdraw and has the cash to do it....no back door deal on that point...nobody will ever be an NMFA company again as everyone wants their own contract and you know that too....Central States was already in trouble at this point and the government would have stopped the withdrawal if it wasn't legal as it gets reviewed... since the two things aren't connected I don't get your point...the only thing you celebrate is when a teamster company goes down...

Ok you are wrong....they have no choice if a member company wants to withdraw and has the cash to do it....no back door deal on that point...nobody will ever be an NMFA company again as everyone wants their own contract and you know that too....Central States was already in trouble at this point and the government would have stopped the withdrawal if it wasn't legal as it gets reviewed... since the two things aren't connected I don't get your point...the only thing you celebrate is when a teamster company goes down...

Isn't there a Pension Liability cost that UPS would have had to pay if they decided to withdraw from the Central States?
I understand that some LTL carriers with much smaller teamster workforces have pension liability costs into the tens of billions of $$$$
Thus making the UPS Central States Pension Liability of $6 Billion seem cheap..... Given the number of teamster employees.

You are correct there will be no new NMFA Carriers
Now please list the teamster LTL organizing successes...

Isn't there a Pension Liability cost that UPS would have had to pay if they decided to withdraw from the Central States?
I understand that some LTL carriers with much smaller teamster workforces have pension liability costs into the tens of billions of $$$$
Thus making the UPS Central States Pension Liability of $6 Billion seem cheap..... Given the number of teamster employees.

You are correct there will be no new NMFA Carriers
Now please list the teamster LTL organizing successes...
Yup it was 6 billion....done during a Republican administration, so I'm sure it was done right....they started a fund for their own employees too...
To your second point I have already stated I'm unhappy with the unions lack of organization... are you becoming senile that you can't remember that from just yesterday?

ABF, I am afraid Puff is correct. Overnite had successfully defeated a huge drive by the teamsters to organize. UPS badly wanted out of the joint pension funds as they saw the failures of unionized LTLs after deregulation and the unfunded liabilities kept growing and they new they were going to be the largest unionized company paying into It which would continue to cripple their balance sheet with liabilities. They bought Overnite and struck a deal that they would not fight the teamsters AT ALL and in return they could pay a large sum and get out of joint pension. This was agreed to and it was a huge long term win for UPS. Many people talk about UPS freight being a failure for UPS and operationally, it was a failure as an LTL operation. (Sold it years later for less than paid for it). But if you listen to C suite people of UPS, the Overnite/UPS Freight ownership was a huge win for UPS because it allowed them to get out from under all of the unfunded pension liabilities.

ABF, I am afraid Puff is correct. Overnite had successfully defeated a huge drive by the teamsters to organize. UPS badly wanted out of the joint pension funds as they saw the failures of unionized LTLs after deregulation and the unfunded liabilities kept growing and they new they were going to be the largest unionized company paying into It which would continue to cripple their balance sheet with liabilities. They bought Overnite and struck a deal that they would not fight the teamsters AT ALL and in return they could pay a large sum and get out of joint pension. This was agreed to and it was a huge long term win for UPS. Many people talk about UPS freight being a failure for UPS and operationally, it was a failure as an LTL operation. (Sold it years later for less than paid for it). But if you listen to C suite people of UPS, the Overnite/UPS Freight ownership was a huge win for UPS because it allowed them to get out from under all of the unfunded pension liabilities.
You are correct, A. That was a back door hand shake deal all along. The Union tried for years, unsuccessfully to organize OverNite, and could not get it done. UPS buys out of CS, and does not interfere with the union organizing them.

Last edited:
And here is the terminal in Kearny from this week. I never understood how we could have so much more freight than these jersey terminals. Somebody dropped the ball. Boats, trains, airplanes...total insanity everywhere.

When that terminal was a Roadway facility the doors were bulging with freight.

Was this the NP terminal on Hackensack Ave ? they have been out of that terminal quite a while and merged into the Yellow/roadway terminal on S. 2nd across the road. Performance Team(Maersk) has been in the old NP terminal for years.

Was this the NP terminal on Hackensack Ave ? they have been out of that terminal quite a while and merged into the Yellow/roadway terminal on S. 2nd across the road. Performance Team(Maersk) has been in the old NP terminal for years.
Pic is from Central I think.
By the Tullo Truck stop.

I don't know who owned what.i was city but I'm over in that area quite a bit now.
I see those 2 terminals. Off Paterson Plank and Central.

Lots of terminals all over...boats. trains. Airplanes.. lots of containers.

Probably most all were union at one time. What a real damned shame for our country