XPO | Following The Conway Freight Flow

32FordCoupe

TB Lurker
Credits
Hello,
I just wanted to say that there will be no 15 year to day one drivers without a job at any service center unless that driver makes the choice!He will(by service rank)be able to follow the freight flow from their impacted terminal to the absorbing terminals.The absorbing terminals will have guaranteed positions availavle based on the amount of area that it absorbs from closing location.You have to sign up to go to a location and if there is 5 runs being added to the location,it will be assigned by service rank from the highest to the lowest.these positions will be filled by the drives coming into the locations that are adding them until the end of the year at which point the new job select will take effect(as usual)by service rank in january.Its a real big chance for some drives that have 15 year service rank and can stay put at there current location but want to follow the freight to a gaining location,as you actually have to resign(without severance pack) from the current location to go to a gaining locaton.If a 15 year employee does this and that facility only has 5 runs available,the 5 most drives with the most service rank will fill those 5 positions being a 15 yr man resigned to go to that,he is out of a job without severance and cannot go back to the one he resigned from to follow this work.Its a really big gamble when you dont know who is coming from one state to another and not knowing the service rank of these drivers.If you have time with the company,you are going to be just fine IF you stay in the current location.But for the newer employees,you may not have a choice.Just make the best decision for you current circumstance.Has anyone actually seen the sheet that the drives have to fill out????

The sheet I filled out was very simple. We have four follow-the-freight options. You listed them in the order you want. There was a box to check if you wanted the severance pay as well. Below that section, there was a section of terminals that have picked up work and need drivers. You could select those if you wish. NRO, XDP, and XNW were a few of the 10-15 that were available. The final section was for the walk-about option. You listed your preference in order.

I would say it is somewhat similar to a bid sheet. You firs select severance, follow-the-work, transfer, or walk-about, then you select your terminal preference in order.

I am very lucky picking up and moving is not an issue for me. I was able to get my first choice. Unfortunately, many co-workers wanted to select the option I did, but cannot re-locate on such short notice.

This is the scenario were we WILL have 8-10 year drivers not making the cut at the only close option we have. There WILL be drivers at that terminal with less than a year keeping their position. Those drivers cannot re-locate and are more less out of a job.

Follwing The Conway Freight Flow

Yes that is the form.
To follow the flow you have to check the box to resign at the current location.Also forfitting your severence package if you arent in the available positions at the gainig service center(very risky and tricky)As you dont know who is coming from any locations.If you have high service rank you would be better to stay at the current location and retain your position.The other choices are way to risky!! Unless you have no choice and can relocated quickly.
You stated that you have gotten your first choice,How do you know this?
This wont be known until about tuesday sometime,after all the drivers have selected by noon on monday after that it doesnt matter anyway.
This is something that has been worked on all year and has came to sudden decision for alot of people.It is something(no matter how bad it is)That has to be done and there will be more and other companies to follow.
I feel for anyone who has to face these issues at the current time.They are offering as much as anyone could ask for.Conway is and will be a great company.

My location has had a few lookers but only one has submitted the papers to come in.Atleast that we know of.It is pretty expensive to live in some of these locations.Even at top rate it can be hard to get by.Avg. starter home about 250-300k. with taxes in the 8-16k per year.Some a little less but most go up from those #'s.

Yes with that kind of numbers it would certainly be a 2 adult working household.You can never tell who is coming or going to a certain location until next week.Drivers will and do love to get the rumors going to keep people on the edge and wondering.By tuesday all should have the results of what has transpired.I wish the best of all to everyone and hope that all make the correct decisions.Its not a complicated process,just a very tricky situation.A senior driver at the home location doing what he wants can go to a gaining service center and be somewhere that he doesnt want to be in that operation and possibly not have employment if the selections fall just wrong for him or her.Some will gamble and win(few) and some will gamble and lose.

You stated that you have gotten your first choice,How do you know this?
This wont be known until about tuesday sometime,after all the drivers have selected by noon on monday after that it doesnt matter anyway.

Sir,

I'm pretty sure I will make it. Unless 20 people jumped me without me knowing it, I made it. We will not make half of our allotment for that terminal.

Our top drivers have selected. There are even some spaces left at the sought-after terminal.

Sir,

I'm pretty sure I will make it. Unless 20 people jumped me without me knowing it, I made it. We will not make half of our allotment for that terminal.

Our top drivers have selected. There are even some spaces left at the sought-after terminal.

I wish I knew where I was going. The top 40 got to choose first, the terminal closest to me has 40 openings. I am 46. At the beginning of the week we where told by noon Friday, they would have the first 40 posted. Well guess what, as per normal( at least at our barn) they said that now that they were not allowed to post them. Nice open door policy we have. It sure would be nice to at least have an idea of where I could be going. But I am greatful to at least have a job. I wish everybody the best of luck. And to all that I have worked with that are not going to the same sic as me...Good luck. You to Jakebreak!!!

I dont think that all ballots will or have to be in until noon monday.It will take a while for the list to be made and posted at the different service centers.It should be out in some terminals monday evening and others no later than tuesday.Just depends on each service center manager.I really dont see how any driver could be for sure about where they are going to end up if they are following freight(only the drivers that are staying at there current locations.ANYONE that has signed to go to a differnt service center can be at several different service centers(by your choice)or could be out.Its a gamble at best

Hope you don't think this a "stupid" question....what is this "walkabout" thing several of you mentioned? What does "Walkabout" mean in your choices?

Hope you don't think this a "stupid" question....what is this "walkabout" thing several of you mentioned? What does "Walkabout" mean in your choices?

walkabout is working at another terminal for a temporary amount of time when another terminal is busy. Usually flex drivers are used for this but I think this time all bets are off on flex guys being used.

how long have we been using the term walkabout? you say flex drivers are normally used....does that mean the flex driver doesn't have a choice?

flex

how long have we been using the term walkabout? you say flex drivers are normally used....does that mean the flex driver doesn't have a choice?

Never hurd the term Flex driver?Walkabout is just as Wonderring99 states!Conway is using the walkabout for the service centers that dont have enough help until they can get the correct amount of drivers to that particular service center at which point the walkabouts will return to the home service centers.

AV8TOR
The only question that is stupid is the one that isnt asked.Never be afraid to ask any question to anyone as that is usually how the person answering it found out!Everyone with an answer has ask that question before to no the answer to it!!

Flex driver must be a central term.It means a dsr w/o a set bid.The dsr's get put on a wheel(day or night)to get work.So if you have 10 dsr's on the wheel and mon. #1 to #4 get work then tues you start with #5 to ?? depending on work load.They could be going or doing anything.Hence the word "flex".
P.s. some terminals dont use a wheel style flex board.

when i was at ccx in nj in 2002, the bottom 2 guys were flex guys...one week city , maybe the next week l/h...and sometimes city and linehaul in the same week..ouch! this was at a 28 door terminal...