Yellow | Former Yellow Corp. exec named CEO of Axis Global Logistics

Ha, this was SOP, standard operating procedure, back in the day. BA ready to pull everybody off the job to protect a known bum from discipline while giving minimal lip service to another guy who was disciplined for basically nothing. Not claiming this practice was widespread in other areas but it sure was locally.
It wasn't widespread in my part of the world (at least that I know of) but even one such episode is too many. I don't care if the BA can't stand the affected member. Their job is to defend that member's best interests, period!

Is there a productivity clause in the employee hand book at non-union employers? Not trying to be a smart ass or anything. I am just curious, because ”bills-per-hour” would be dependent on the condition of the freight on the trailer when you open the door and the type of freight you are unloading. And, “stops per hour” would depend on traffic, miles between stops and customer requests as well as the type of freight being loaded or unloaded. So……I would doubt that the non-unions have a set production goal in writing in their employee hand book. But….I have been wrong before!!!
Not in any handbook I am aware of, but all productivity metrics that are utilized in monitoring performance. As a whole for supervision and management. Down to the individual for dock and p&d. Due to all the variables you mention it is rarely looked at in a narrow time frame. Some p&d routes are going to have very different characteristics. Over time they know what each route should look like. When there's a day that's way off they look to see why. When there's a trend of being off they can make changes.

Breeze, you've just identified my biggest gripe WITH the Union. I have known of a BA who have traded away somebody's job because a "buddy" of theirs was in a bad spot. It was years ago so the details are a bit fuzzy, but it happened. That was wrong, wrong, wrong!!
Yep, I could write another page or two about this same guy.
He was still there until he died of a heart attack.

Let’s clarify this “slacker” subject and move on to something else. After reading the contract I admit I was just slightly off but not entirely. While I believe slacking is considered time theft.

I define a slacker as one who is working giving much less than others/less than they are capable of. Not the guy who takes lunch and says he didn't. Not the guy who is b.s'ing at one of his regulars, telling dispatch he's waiting on a door (time theft). I'm talking about the guy that takes 10 minutes longer than everybody else to pre-trip and get out the gate. The guy who has the gait of an octogenarian. The guy giving less than a fair days' work (whatever that is).

Agreed...moving on we were defining things differently.

I define a slacker as one who is working giving much less than others/less than they are capable of. Not the guy who takes lunch and says he didn't. Not the guy who is b.s'ing at one of his regulars, telling dispatch he's waiting on a door (time theft). I'm talking about the guy that takes 10 minutes longer than everybody else to pre-trip and get out the gate. The guy who has the gait of an octogenarian. The guy giving less than a fair days' work (whatever that is).

Ex, there were several people in Yellow who I am acquainted with who had "the gait of an octogenarian" for a good reason-they ARE octogenarians!! They were still actively employed. One of them was the #1 seniority road driver in Kansas City. Another (now deceased) was the highest seniority date in the entire company. He died on his night off. I think he was 86.

Ex, there were several people in Yellow who I am acquainted with who had "the gait of an octogenarian" for a good reason-they ARE octogenarians!! They were still actively employed. One of them was the #1 seniority road driver in Kansas City. Another (now deceased) was the highest seniority date in the entire company. He died on his night off. I think he was 86.
That's funny, except for the dying part. I worked with some older guys, but nobody that was older than early 70's.

I've been called a lot of things, but that's a first for me.
I had to look that one up.
I thought it was an octopus who didn't eat meat.

Are you referring to the tractors, I was told they ran 62mph, but when you hit a small hill, the tractor slack off, it didn’t maintain that 62mph, now that there is wage theft. Also, when I came to a major city, I also couldn’t maintain that 62mph, the trucks was some slackers.

Are you referring to the tractors, I was told they ran 62mph, but when you hit a small hill, the tractor slack off, it didn’t maintain that 62mph, now that there is wage theft. Also, when I came to a major city, I also couldn’t maintain that 62mph, the trucks was some slackers.
My tractors ran 63 and pulled great up hill too. Maybe the throttle pressure you applied to the pedal with your foot was slacking? :poke: :hilarious::hysterical:

Roll, that "slacking" when it reaches a small hill (as well as a big one) is called gravity. Your car does the same thing. In the city it's called congestion. It'll be OK Roll

That is true non union also....when busy, all companies are more tolerant of bad actors..
That’s where one of the major “gray areas” generated from but they really couldn’t be consistent about anything. A little personal story, around 10-12 years ago I got pulled and distracted during a pretrip and forgot where I left off, ended up dropping the trailer on the drives (we’ve all done it). They instantly sent me home for 2 day suspension (slow). The very next week two of our guys dropped them completely off and were told grab another unit and get back at it (busy). Absolutely made my blood boil when I discovered the sudden policy change and why. My steward wasn’t steward much longer after and my ba was as useless as they come.

That’s where one of the major “gray areas” generated from but they really couldn’t be consistent about anything. A little personal story, around 10-12 years ago I got pulled and distracted during a pretrip and forgot where I left off, ended up dropping the trailer on the drives (we’ve all done it). They instantly sent me home for 2 day suspension (slow). The very next week two of our guys dropped them completely off and were told grab another unit and get back at it (busy). Absolutely made my blood boil when I discovered the sudden policy change and why. My steward wasn’t steward much longer after and my ba was as useless as they come.
Or possibly they came after you more harshly because they read your posts here on TB?? :poke: :hysterical::hilarious: