Yellow | Freight guys waving to each other

If you blink the driver to come on in you are taking responsibility for him to be successful, all at once now say law suit.
I guess there going to pull the SIM card on your headlights to see if you flashed the lights or not!

.......and even after a blink I will put my faith in what I see in the mirrors.
Good point! Even after a head light flash. Check your mirrors anyway. The headlight flash is easily detectable while concentrating on the roadway, but you still should be checking your mirrors to be sure, before you even start coming over.

As far as a lawsuit goes for flashing your lights. They would never win the case. It is still the driver's responsibility to be sure it is safe to change lanes.

Hell I drive a pretty nice car, I would not be flashing him over unless he was several car lengths past me and there was no chance of him getting anywhere near my vehicle. With traffic as heavy as it is these days I would think most drivers would appreciate the effort from those in a car, especially those that are regulated to 62 MPH.... I have followed trucks trying to pass for several miles tying up the fast lane and have seen what impatient people in cars do so........

Thanks so much for the thought. If everybody was as informed as yourself there would be no problem with it. Unfortunatly.....every night I see cars do foolish things like flashing the high beams as they start passing you as if you didn't already know they were there. Also see countless flash lights as they pass on the right. Now....how many times have the drivers out there flashed the lights for a professional and imediatly following have had an IDIOT whip into the right lane and hammer down.
I could go on but I think the point has been made......it's just not in the best interest of safety to make a habit of this practice now a days. I always double check and light flashing can actually impair my vision at times while doing so.

While we are somewhat on the subject of courtesy, what ever happened to flashing your lights in return, when someone flashes their lights to let you know that it is safe to pull back over when they are passing, in the past year I’ll bet only twenty-five percent flash back :shift: :TR10driving03:

I think the cell phone may be the biggest problem in regards to people being able to use their free hand to flash back at ya....maybe?

Thanks so much for the thought. If everybody was as informed as yourself there would be no problem with it. Unfortunatly.....every night I see cars do foolish things like flashing the high beams as they start passing you as if you didn't already know they were there. Also see countless flash lights as they pass on the right. Now....how many times have the drivers out there flashed the lights for a professional and imediatly following have had an IDIOT whip into the right lane and hammer down.
I could go on but I think the point has been made......it's just not in the best interest of safety to make a habit of this practice now a days. I always double check and light flashing can actually impair my vision at times while doing so.

duly noted sir, I will definately consider that in the future especially while driving at night.

Unfortunatly.....every night I see cars do foolish things like flashing the high beams as they start passing you as if you didn't already know they were there.

Believe it or not, this is instructed in the Pa drivers manual - flash to pass.

As far as waving goes, I'm a waver. Seems most wave back. Out of habit I find myself waving while I'm in my own vehicle on two lane - drivers probably wonder, who the hell was that?

As a driver its always nice to get a flash whan you pass. It doesn't tell you anything more than your clear. One can figure it means anything. Its up to me to make sure the lane is clear. Not all units we have flash tail light. Sometimes I let my left turn signal blink trice(thank you) put on right signal check my mirrows change lanes. Of corse most of the time this truck or car passes you again it would suprise you how many time the people wave as they go by.

I too flash and wave in my 4 wheeler I even flash when I'm on my motorcycle. So if you ever pass or get passed my me on my bike you will get a wave and a flash. When I'm not in the truck I like to show the hard working people on the road someone has a little respect for what they're doing. I know it helps me. Sometimes we are under alot of pressure these days with everything thats been going on. Its nice to be shown respect. Maybe thats a new tread or topic we can talk about. Respect

While we are somewhat on the subject of courtesy, what ever happened to flashing your lights in return, when someone flashes their lights to let you know that it is safe to pull back over when they are passing, in the past year I’ll bet only twenty-five percent flash back :shift: :TR10driving03:

It's against UPS freights company policy.:shift:

I was talking to a driver who went to his doctor to complain about his sore wrists.When Dr. Feel Good was asking questions the subject of blinking and waving came up. Doc told him to stop waving for 3 months and every thing would be fine. Driver said he might not be able to quit waving because it was a habit, the ;doctor told him to sit on his hands while driving, 3 Advil and call him in 3 weeks and let him know if the pain went away.

I was talking to a driver who went to his doctor to complain about his sore wrists.When Dr. Feel Good was asking questions the subject of blinking and waving came up. Doc told him to stop waving for 3 months and every thing would be fine. Driver said he might not be able to quit waving because it was a habit, the ;doctor told him to sit on his hands while driving, 3 Advil and call him in 3 weeks and let him know if the pain went away.

:Off-Topic: I had a the same thing happen to a friend of mine. His doctor told him to stop another bad habit he had. Switch hands take 3 Advils and call him in 3 weeks. And that he should never attemp doing this while driving or in public. (He is a chronic noise picker)

Very few union drivers in Chicago would have anything to do with the nonunion boys enfact if one of them ever came over for directions some not all drivers would be sent the other way now I'am saying that was to the owner ops but to the ltl carriers . As for the restraunts fogetabout it if they had to eat in the same jiont they were in a seprate part . True story when Overnite came to Chicago there was a restraunt on 47 th . street a overnite guy came in ok the union guys told the owner of the restraunt that if he got served they would find a new place to eat and there were about 8 or 10 that came in everyday so the owner explained to the overnite guy he could n't aford to loose that many customers . Now days its a little easier because the non's are talking about joining the teamsters . I t took all that time for them to see they were screwed by their companys. I don't think they got too many waves .

This is the kind of mentality that turns off anyone from wanting to join a union. Who the hell do they think they are? If it were me being refused to be served by the restaurant, I would have a nice law suit going against the owners.

The last two new tractors I have had has the day time running lights so you can't turn the headlights off to flash anyone over. I tried to pull the fuse on the daytime running lights but other options were on the same circuit. I just give a quick flash of the high beams. I have been yelled at because of it but I still do it, Its a courtesy thing from way back.

Courtesy is rite but even that went out years ago.If you flash fast enough the brites don't bother you.Now days every body want to find faults with other drivers.Never look at their own faults.

Very few union drivers in Chicago would have anything to do with the nonunion boys enfact if one of them ever came over for directions some not all drivers would be sent the other way now I'am saying that was to the owner ops but to the ltl carriers . As for the restraunts fogetabout it if they had to eat in the same jiont they were in a seprate part . True story when Overnite came to Chicago there was a restraunt on 47 th . street a overnite guy came in ok the union guys told the owner of the restraunt that if he got served they would find a new place to eat and there were about 8 or 10 that came in everyday so the owner explained to the overnite guy he could n't aford to loose that many customers . Now days its a little easier because the non's are talking about joining the teamsters . I t took all that time for them to see they were screwed by their companys. I don't think they got too many waves .

This is why the nons do not think much of them too.I all ways thought of another driver as a person not if he was non are pro union.Did not matter who you worked for either.

when i started in the early 80s, i was taught (hands on teaching, not a truck driving school) to respect other drivers and wave, TALK TO EACH OTHER AS HUMAN BEINGS. help out whenever you can. now, you can forget all that . i refuse to give up though

I remember the days when I was in the granny lane slowly catching up to a slow vehicle, a fast truck in the hammer lane would flash me over to pass. Not anymore. If you get over they will scream at you on the cb and tailgate. No more courtesy anymore and I haven't been driving very long compared to most YRC drivers (15 years).

Courtesy and respect seem to be at the heart of this discussion.. seems to me that either way... Whats more important getting to your destination a minute or two faster or making sure that Joe Blow motorist AND yourself get to where your going safely.. they have a vehicle that can pretty much stop and maneuver pretty quick as compared to most Trac & Trailers.. You guys get paid to be professionals for a reason.. to NOT get into these situations. Ultimately it is you guys that make the right call either get by and get over or slow down and get over. That in its self earns my respect... I for my part try to make it as easy as 4 wheeler can do to make your job as safe as I can for my part and yours and the other knuckle heads on the road.

Well I guess everyone has their own idea on union and nonunion . The way I see it is in case all you guys that are ready to play nicey face with the nons. seen what those non. company's have done to our union company's . I 've been around when everybody that drove anything with more than 4 tires was union . now look at what these guys that your ready to make friends with did think about all our brothers that out thanks to them the pensions are all short on funds . How many of you reading this worked for the big outfits that are no longer around because of the nons. ? I know that a guy has got to do what is needed to support his family I respect that with all my heart and if you want to do more for your family then dam it organize.I f those guys would have organized our pensions would be safe today and they would be better off also. Let me give newer drivers a little history , Some of you many or not remember Gordon Transports They were based out of Memphis ,Tn. . Well they came to Chicago in 1947 thinking that they were gong to work up here they thought wrong not one of those trucks ever got on the street , they sat for 2 years . They had to be union . Those guys back then knew that if those trucks ever hit the street it would be over .I guess they were right because look at today we are almost gone . Now days every one's palls .So for any reader who disagrees with me this my take on it. I' ve met some great nons. but dam man get off your a-- fight for the union , thats your legal right under the law .

Well I guess everyone has their own idea on union and nonunion . The way I see it is in case all you guys that are ready to play nicey face with the nons. seen what those non. company's have done to our union company's . I 've been around when everybody that drove anything with more than 4 tires was union . now look at what these guys that your ready to make friends with did think about all our brothers that out thanks to them the pensions are all short on funds . How many of you reading this worked for the big outfits that are no longer around because of the nons. ? I know that a guy has got to do what is needed to support his family I respect that with all my heart and if you want to do more for your family then dam it organize.I f those guys would have organized our pensions would be safe today and they would be better off also. Let me give newer drivers a little history , Some of you many or not remember Gordon Transports They were based out of Memphis ,Tn. . Well they came to Chicago in 1947 thinking that they were gong to work up here they thought wrong not one of those trucks ever got on the street , they sat for 2 years . They had to be union . Those guys back then knew that if those trucks ever hit the street it would be over .I guess they were right because look at today we are almost gone . Now days every one's palls .So for any reader who disagrees with me this my take on it. I' ve met some great nons. but dam man get off your a-- fight for the union , thats your legal right under the law .

Well I have heard it all now.Companys say it was unions fault they went under .Most say it was Mismanagement that done it.Now you say it was all the nonsCompany's fault.And some company's and employees say the economy done it.Well at least we are spreading the blame around.

Hiballin, I don't see how ya can't blame most if not all on the nons. Example , before the nons come to town all the union companys were in business for years . We here had at least 80 to 100 companys all union . The nons. came in with cheap wages **** poor benifits[ I will say today they do pay better ] and they used that as a wedge against the union joints . The nons can afford to give big discounts because of how they treat the employees . I don't know how long you are working but it sounds like you weren't around when this industry was all union at least up north east and west down south thats something else they at one time in history went to war to preserve slavery today they call it right to work states.