ABF | Full pay and benefits?

Leavemealone

TB Lurker
Credits
Thinking about making the move from my current company to abf in Carlisle, pa. Does anyone know if it's full scale day 1?. What about the health insurance do you have to wait for a certain period?. Appreciate any response.

Thinking about making the move from my current company to abf in Carlisle, pa. Does anyone know if it's full scale day 1?. What about the health insurance do you have to wait for a certain period?. Appreciate any response.
Last I knew, it was 90% of scale for the first year. Then, 100%. Benefits, I believe, start on the 1st of the month following your first two full months of employment. Example: start date 5/18/21...benefits begin on August 1, 2021.

Whats the vacation progression at abf?
1 year/1 week, 2 years/2 weeks, 8 years/3 weeks, 15 years/4 weeks, 20 years/5 weeks, 30 years/6 weeks.
In the city, dock, hostle, or shop classification, a week of vacation is paid on 45 straight time hours.
On the road side, a week is paid based on a formula using the previous 12 months earnings divided by the number of days worked and then multiplied by 6. Apparently, the road side formula is rocket science.
This is for the Southern Region. Other regions may be different.

Last edited:
I had an interview today with the Charlotte ABF.

In my location it starts 100% day one which was around 26 dollars an hr. I didnt ask about health benefits. But you start out on the bottom board and your start times will vary until you can get an assigned route in the City. You can work the dock most of the day, go out in a box truck or do whatever is needed that day. Your guaranteed 40hrs, but some of the guys work up to 60hrs. In the off season(slow season) they could lay you off but they will do their best to get you to work at least 3 days a week so you can keep your benefits. I was under the impression laid off was no job; but in their view I believe it just means they are not obligated to give you 40hrs.

Interesting note I did not realize they have separate terminals for City and Line haul