ABF | Full pay and benefits?

Ok boys and girls this might be a long post so I would like to apologize before hand, and at the same time thank any of my ABF Brothers that do give any input. Big thank you in advance.

I went a head and applied for a position as aroad driver. I thought it would be a lengthy process, but instead everything took about 2 weeks before I was offered a job. Went through orientation and I will be starting next week.

everything was straight forward for the most part, but there are few things I still don't have a good grasp on. For example

*my understanding of the layover is that the first 14 is free and you get paid for any time after that. Is that right?

* You get paid for fuel time, time spent in shop, time waiting for set to be powered if your 2 hours are up. Is that right?

* Say if your called at 18:00 and your set isn't ready untill 20:30, you get paid for that 30 min right? If so in the log book where it says "type of delay" is that where that 30 min is written?

*what's deal with the axle pay? Can someone explain please.

*Someone said when pulling a double you put an "X" in the log book on the little box that has " DBL" . But he also said when pulling a 53 ft trailer you put an "X" on that same box? I thought on a 53 ft trailer the X would be the first box that has the" OVER 40M".

I know these are dumb questions but I don't want to be that guy looking all confused next week so forgive me for my ignorance brothers. Perhaps this post may help someone else down the road.

Ok boys and girls this might be a long post so I would like to apologize before hand, and at the same time thank any of my ABF Brothers that do give any input. Big thank you in advance.

I went a head and applied for a position as aroad driver. I thought it would be a lengthy process, but instead everything took about 2 weeks before I was offered a job. Went through orientation and I will be starting next week.

everything was straight forward for the most part, but there are few things I still don't have a good grasp on. For example

*my understanding of the layover is that the first 14 is free and you get paid for any time after that. Is that right?

* You get paid for fuel time, time spent in shop, time waiting for set to be powered if your 2 hours are up. Is that right?

* Say if your called at 18:00 and your set isn't ready untill 20:30, you get paid for that 30 min right? If so in the log book where it says "type of delay" is that where that 30 min is written?

*Someone said when pulling a double you put an "X" in the log book on the little box that has " DBL" . But he also said when pulling a 53 ft trailer you put an "X" on that same box? I thought on a 53 ft trailer the X would be the first box that has the" OVER 40M".

I know these are dumb questions but I don't want to be that guy looking all confused next week so forgive me for my ignorance brothers. Perhaps this post may help someone else down the road.
Congrats, I’m city & always have been, so I know very little about the road….

15 minutes for fuel. After 14 in the hotel you are paid by the minute. They call you at home at 6 you have two hours to get to office. At 8:29 you give them that time at 8:31 you are paid by the minute. You put that in delay box and the supervisor signs it for you. Break down on the road and you are paid by the minute till you are ready to roll. If you run out of time before you get to destination you are paid by the minute until they come get you then get paid the miles to the barn.

A 53 footer doesn’t pay until you’re over 40,000 pounds. Don’t ask me why it has an M behind it because it doesn’t mean metric. I’ve never had a trailer that was over 33 to 34,000 so he would probably never see it

Just remember, the contract states you get paid for all work performed.

Welcome aboard. Sir the only dumb question is the one not asked.

Thank you as well.
Welcome to the ABF crew there LMA. You are going to enjoy having the fantastic insurance and pension (both fully paid for by contract). Contact your Stewards and your Business Agent ASAP to find out the do's and the dont's so you don't violate any work rules without knowing it. Your co-workers will be your friend or your enemy depending on your ability to follow the rules of the contract. Once you get a little time in, and a few guys below you, you can ***** and moan like the rest of us do (just kidding). Welcome aboard!!!

Last edited:
Welcome to the ABF crew there LMA. You are going to enjoy having the fantastic insurance and pension (both fully paid for by contract). Contact your Stewards and your Business Agent ASAP to find out the do's and the dont's so you don't violate any work rules without knowing it. Your co-workers will be your friend or your enemy depending on your ability to follow the rules of the contract. Once you get a little time in, and a few guys below you, you can ***** and moan like the rest of us do (just kidding). Welcome aboard!!!
Thank you for the kind words. Everything I have heard or seen about the company so far has been positive. Although a couple of the guys I have met seem to be on the crazy side . By the way what is a business agent?

Thank you for the kind words. Everything I have heard or seen about the company so far has been positive. Although a couple of the guys I have met seem to be on the crazy side . By the way what is a business agent?
A Business Agent is the Union official that will represent you if you ever need representation (grievances, suspensions, discharge, etc.). Your Stewards will explain it to you in better detail. So, track down your Stewards and introduce yourself. It has been said before on here "no one thinks they will ever need representation, until they need representation".

A Business Agent is the Union official that will represent you if you ever need representation (grievances, suspensions, discharge, etc.). Your Stewards will explain it to you in better detail. So, track down your Stewards and introduce yourself. It has been said before on here "no one thinks they will ever need representation, until they need representation".
Got it brother. since I am coming from a none ltl, none union company, some of these things are new to me. So out of curiosity are you supposed to deal with the Stewards a certain way? How far above are they when compared to the other drivers? Is their main job to be sort of like a guide for the other drivers?

Got it brother. since I am coming from a none ltl, none union company, some of these things are new to me. So out of curiosity are you supposed to deal with the Stewards a certain way? How far above are they when compared to the other drivers? Is their main job to be sort of like a guide for the other drivers?
That and to represent you any time the company calls you up on the carpet for disciplinary or investigative reasons. A lot of the time, a Steward can get a resolution to an issue you may have with the company without the need of the Business Agent. Think of a Steward as your personal lawyer when dealing with the company. It is usually a good idea to have someone to represent you when dealing with the company. A Steward can usually answer any questions you may have about how things are done as well as who to contact for things like insurance, pension, FMLA, Workers Comp, Short Term Disability, etc., etc.
If they don't have the answer, they can usually get the answer for you.

They are drivers and dock workers just like you. They are the ones that usually represent you when dealing with management. If one is not available, use a co-worker you trust.