Yellow | Fun weather in NYC area next few days...

jtDbbVD.jpg

Yikes!! :sadwavey:Time for:guinesssmilie::1036316054:

Ah yes, Thruway doubles. Buffalo men ran them to the New Paltz, NY compound and then walked to the motel and went to bed. We had two Jersey road men who started at New Paltz and when the Buffalo men arrived, they broke down the sets and brought the inbound loads single to E. Rutherford/Kearny and the Buffalo loads back to the compound and then made the outbound train for the Buffalo drivers who came off rest about the time the NJ man was done. They were still running some of the KW's when I started with them in May 1974. They were a little ragged of course which is why we bottom guys at the time got them.

Weather update:

It snowed fairly heavily during most of the day and added a few inches to what we got over the weekend. By nightfall the snow fall stopped and it's clear and cold now and in the 20's. Many shopping malls are shutting down early and in NY metro areas driving is being banned after 11pm and most mass transit is shutting down then also. The really bad conditions are supposed to arrive during the overnight but right at the moment you would think it's no big deal. If you want me to wake up at say 2 or 3am and give an update I'd be glad to do that! (Yea, sure, any day now)

Tuesday morning update:

Big nothing, nowhere near what was predicted here in the NY/NJ metro area. Storm tracked further east than predicted.

http://www.northjersey.com/news/bli...-much-tamer-snowstorm-than-forecast-1.1259116

Blizzard warning canceled as NJ gets much tamer snowstorm than forecast
So why didn’t the two to three feet of snow that forecasters were predicting fall on North Jersey? The National Weather Service said the storm tracked about 90 miles further east than expected, sparing much of the region.

And that means that North Jersey is waking up to inches, not feet, of snow this morning. In Teaneck, for instance, it was perhaps seven or eight inches. Ramsey recorded 3.2 inches, according to the North Jersey Weather Observers.

"My deepest apologies to many key decision makers and so many members of the general public," National Weather Service meteorologist Gary Szatkowski of the Mount Holly station said on Twitter. "You made a lot of tough decisions expecting us to get it right, and we didn't. Once again, I'm sorry."

Tuesday morning update:

Big nothing, nowhere near what was predicted here in the NY/NJ metro area. Storm tracked further east than predicted.

http://www.northjersey.com/news/bli...-much-tamer-snowstorm-than-forecast-1.1259116

So why didn’t the two to three feet of snow that forecasters were predicting fall on North Jersey? The National Weather Service said the storm tracked about 90 miles further east than expected, sparing much of the region.

And that means that North Jersey is waking up to inches, not feet, of snow this morning. In Teaneck, for instance, it was perhaps seven or eight inches. Ramsey recorded 3.2 inches, according to the North Jersey Weather Observers.

"My deepest apologies to many key decision makers and so many members of the general public," National Weather Service meteorologist Gary Szatkowski of the Mount Holly station said on Twitter. "You made a lot of tough decisions expecting us to get it right, and we didn't. Once again, I'm sorry."
Aw, I was hoping to see pictures of a blizzard of "biblical" proportions! Still better to have an error in forecasting than weather related transportation paralysis. Bet your glad it missed you, though!:1036316054:

Aw, I was hoping to see pictures of a blizzard of "biblical" proportions! Still better to have an error in forecasting than weather related transportation paralysis. Bet your glad it missed you, though!:1036316054:

After all the hype and ominous warnings all day yesterday I was actually looking forward to a sizable snowfall. It's kind of nice when everything grinds to a halt for a while. Oh well, I'll just have to get my thrills on TB as usual. :friendly wink:

Tuesday morning update:

Sounds like the weather people in the Chicago area!!! For 2 days before as soon as the news comes on, we hear that Buba is at the storm desk tracking a "monster" headed for downtown Chicago only, and that no where else in Illinois, or Indiana will see anything!!!! Then 2 inches come down. So the stations with the good looking babe in a tight dress comes on to try and make nicey!

Sounds like the weather people in the Chicago area!!! For 2 days before as soon as the news comes on, we hear that Buba is at the storm desk tracking a "monster" headed for downtown Chicago only, and that no where else in Illinois, or Indiana will see anything!!!! Then 2 inches come down. So the stations with the good looking babe in a tight dress comes on to try and make nicey!

The disappointment over this "historic" storm is like learning that your blind date is connected with Playboy Magazine but then discovering she's not a centerfold but the mail girl. (No disrespect to mail girls intended).

The disappointment over this "historic" storm is like learning that your blind date is connected with Playboy Magazine but then discovering she's not a centerfold but the mail girl. (No disrespect to mail girls intended).
Or the IT guy.

This comment by someone on a railroad blog about the transit shutdown yesterday says it all in my opinion:

"For what it is worth, I believe that both my railroader granddads (Pennsy
and Lackawanna men) are "rolling in their graves" as we watch NJT
shutdown the entire system. Growing up in the 50s and 60s, I do not
recall one time when either of those great railroads actually shutdown
nor did either of my grandfathers not go to work because of too much
snow. But, I know it was a different time and place.

Watching a piece on FoxNews this morning concerning the over reaction and
over reach of the mayor of New York and the governor of New York, it is
clear that we have become too much of a nanny state where folks can not
think for themselves. The piece reported that it was the first time that
the NYC tranist system was ever shutdown system wide."

It's called liability, once you allow parties to sue and collect because they fell down in a snow storm getting onto a train or bus then it becomes necessary to shut the systme down to limit liability..................................

It's called liability, once you allow parties to sue and collect because they fell down in a snow storm getting onto a train or bus then it becomes necessary to shut the systme down to limit liability..................................

That's because we now, more than ever before, live in a "it's not my fault" world. People took responsibility for their own behavior to a much higher degree years ago. Glad I grew up when I did. If I fell and hurt myself in someone's back yard my parents would have chastised me for being so careless. Today's parents run to call their attorney.

This comment by someone on a railroad blog about the transit shutdown yesterday says it all in my opinion:

"For what it is worth, I believe that both my railroader granddads (Pennsy
and Lackawanna men) are "rolling in their graves" as we watch NJT
shutdown the entire system. Growing up in the 50s and 60s, I do not
recall one time when either of those great railroads actually shutdown
nor did either of my grandfathers not go to work because of too much
snow. But, I know it was a different time and place.

Watching a piece on FoxNews this morning concerning the over reaction and
over reach of the mayor of New York and the governor of New York, it is
clear that we have become too much of a nanny state where folks can not
think for themselves. The piece reported that it was the first time that
the NYC tranist system was ever shutdown system wide."
BNSF isn't worried about snow...

Giant-Snow-Blower-Train-3.jpg

:438: