XPO | How did we get this way?

If you call our work environment/culture that is based on mutual contempt and distrust healthy.

If you call having your pension reneged on and your 10 sick days removed and......

......Then One Conway has been very good to me too.

The 10 sick days were stupid they were being abused, i would rather have PTO. As for pension i think a pension is stupid too. Almost as stupid as social security, i would rather save my own money and invest. I dont want to depend on a company for my retirement.

The 10 sick days were stupid they were being abused, i would rather have PTO. As for pension i think a pension is stupid too. Almost as stupid as social security, i would rather save my own money and invest. I dont want to depend on a company for my retirement.
I have to disagree, a company funded pension would be better. But, being a non-union employee, I have to make do with what we have.

If the company goes under i still have my money, so i will stick with the 401k.
Very good point and I have plenty in the 401K. But I will say that if I had been working for Yellow or ABF for the last several years, it would not matter if the company went out of business.

I feel that I am an established member and I like my job at Conway. So please don't delete my post.

Don't like how you worded it but I tend to agree. As far as the sick days go I used 1 in 5 years and it was legit. I would rather have the pto days. Here is the problem with the pension. Drivers who are nearing retirement age did not have the options I have in my late 20's when they were my age. There was no Roth IRA or 401k. For them, they worked to max out the pension. The catch up contributions could make up for it, and then some, but that depends on how the market goes over the next few years. If it continues like this they will have less than promised by the pension. I will rely on no one but myself for future finances, but I have better options than they did. However, it was a move the company would have to make at some time to cut legacy costs. I do think they could have done it better though.

"How did we get this way?"

If you are going to control labor in an industry you are going to have to make rules that are impossible to follow. One way to do this is to make the pay by the mile and the rules by the hour! Does this make sense? You can drive 11 hours a day but they can write you a speeding ticket from your log book. My whole family are truckers, and most survived the depression of the '30's and would have driven 24 hours a day operating two log books if they were asked to. But this was when a log book violation was a slap on the hand, those days are gone.

Another way to control trucking labor is to keep introducing people into the labor pool that will accept lower pay. We are soon to be competing with Mexican truckers for jobs. This is going to do to company drivers what has been done to Owner Operators for years and that is to start the long, slow death of the American trucker. So the jobs that were exported overseas has us with less domestic freight to haul. Now we are going to start losing our jobs to a foreign labor source.

So are truckers to do? Let's argue about it. Let's fight over it. Let's make sure that Americans everywhere know that we truckers find making sure our misguided opinions are more important than getting things right. We should make things like "fuel strikes" a public issue only to not go through with it. Let us make sure that leadership amoung truckers are the loud mouthed cussers who go into the public forum and spout off language that would make anyone cover their childrens ears! Let's make sure that no one respects us.

It is like the argument over Unions. I have been in them, and I have worked as what might be considered a ****. But honestly, the word "Union" is based on "Unity". Now you tell me if unity is a good thing or a bad one? Many will call Union members all kinds of names and Union members will call non names as well. This is just another form of division. Division is going to do away with us one day. If the DAC report doesn't get you, then the NAFTA driver will. IF the NAFTA driver doesn't then the empty American factory will. The TRUTH is that UNION and NON-UNION drivers are going to have to find a way to work together or we will all wind up looking like two men having a fist fight on the deck of the Titanic as she slips into the dark waters of death.

So here is where you have your chance to jump on here and tell me what an idiot I am. This will prove my point that many truckers see this as more of a pissing contest than a fight for survival. And this is why we are losing this fight and will keep losing it until we wake up and realize why we are here.

With all due respect, I don't care what you want. What matters is what I earned and what the company and I had previously agreed to. Whether SS is stupid or who you want not to depend on means nothing.

If company cars are ever abused, should they be eliminated?

I went out on a limb in another thread and suggested that forum participants should not attack you, but should bait. I even called them pitbulls. - Maybe I was out of line.

With all due respect, I don't care what you want. What matters is what I earned and what the company and I had previously agreed to. Whether SS is stupid or who you want not to depend on means nothing.

If company cars are ever abused, should they be eliminated?

I went out on a limb in another thread and suggested that forum participants should not attack you, but should bait. I even called them pitbulls. - Maybe I was out of line.

I respectfully disagree Bankrupt. I will be paying into SS and never receive it. To me, that is BS. I have a real problem with my money going to others. I have already had someone on the boards telling me to grow up and contribute to his SS. Not my responsibility. No one in my family will collect it. We do it on our own...

There was really nothing to disagree with. SS is not the issue and I'm not taking a position either way. That was to make my point.

I didn't say SS was not stupid, but 1BADLT1 did say it was stupid, so there is an opportunity to agree with him if you wish.

I respectfully disagree Bankrupt. I will be paying into SS and never receive it. To me, that is BS. I have a real problem with my money going to others. I have already had someone on the boards telling me to grow up and contribute to his SS. Not my responsibility. No one in my family will collect it. We do it on our own...
Now wait a minute Jakebrake. You will receive SS if you live long enough. You have been listening to the naysayers (is that a word?). SS is not going to be broke.
Besides, it's there if you become disabled.

The Conway pension is what's not going to be there for you. Atleast not much.

Now wait a minute Jakebrake. You will receive SS if you live long enough. You have been listening to the naysayers (is that a word?). SS is not going to be broke.
Besides, it's there if you become disabled.

The Conway pension is what's not going to be there for you. At least not much.

No matter what, I will be self-sufficient. SS will be broke by time I'm 40. Pensions are a thing of the past. I am a responsible person who is only 27. I will take care of myself. I have options people did not have 10 or 15 years ago at my age. I will take full advantage of them and I will have no sympathy for those my age who do not. But, I feel I should not pay into something I will never see. Not my problem. Too often you pay the price for being responsible. Enough already..

Keep a close eye on whatever you do. Each generation has had "something" put aside for the future only to have it taken away at the last minute. NOTHING is foolproof. You are right to be diversified in your retirement options. We still have a fair amount of time to put something back. My parents have had to rely on SS for their retirement and neither are fully retired, even at their ages. I don't expect us to fully retire either.

No matter what, I will be self-sufficient. SS will be broke by time I'm 40. Pensions are a thing of the past. I am a responsible person who is only 27. I will take care of myself. I have options people did not have 10 or 15 years ago at my age. I will take full advantage of them and I will have no sympathy for those my age who do not. But, I feel I should not pay into something I will never see. Not my problem. Too often you pay the price for being responsible. Enough already..

Keep a close eye on whatever you do. Each generation has had "something" put aside for the future only to have it taken away at the last minute. NOTHING is foolproof. You are right to be diversified in your retirement options. We still have a fair amount of time to put something back. My parents have had to rely on SS for their retirement and neither are fully retired, even at their ages. I don't expect us to fully retire either.

TDW, I'm 27. I'm not worried about retirement yet. I'm still deciding where to work an live for the next 30 years. I will do all of this on my own with help from anyone though. (Except the guidance of my dad.. The smartest man I have ever met or talked to) I have formed many of my opinions based off of his advice... I'll be just fine..

It's thu gubmint's fault! Don't worry. If the feds can waste billions on countries that hate us and on trailers and modular homes that that waste away in fields (for katrina victims) and other such foolishness, I think they can print some more money to dump into social security. Let's just hope whe're dead by the time china owns the U.S.

No matter what, I will be self-sufficient. SS will be broke by time I'm 40.

The problem with the S.S. is the cap ($88,000)once that figure is met for the year a person pays no more into S.S. Think of all the people that make more than that a year (they are still eligable to collect even if they don't need it),if they remove the cap for 5 years S.S. would never go broke.

The "old timers", who hired in with Con-Way, had the pension to look forward to, were planning on that being there for them when they reached the end of their working years.......we all know what happened there......what if, those of you who are now counting on your 401k's, or IRA's, or Roth's, or whatever you think is going to be there for you, when you get 4 or 5 yrs away from the end, that disappears? You say it can't happen, it is mine I put it there, it has to be there, "THEY PROMISED THEY WOULD NEVER CHANGE IT"....?????? They promised them, that the pension would be there....Is it???? They promise now, that SS will be there.....will it be??? They promise that your 401K, Roth, or what ever instrument you think is going to be "yours" because they said so, will be there for you and your family.....will it be, do you really think so????? Really????? so did they, the ones who had been promised the SS, or the pension......they really, really believed it would be there too......What do you think? :shrug:

The "old timers", who hired in with Con-Way, had the pension to look forward to, were planning on that being there for them when they reached the end of their working years.......we all know what happened there......what if, those of you who are now counting on your 401k's, or IRA's, or Roth's, or whatever you think is going to be there for you, when you get 4 or 5 yrs away from the end, that disappears? You say it can't happen, it is mine I put it there, it has to be there, "THEY PROMISED THEY WOULD NEVER CHANGE IT"....?????? They promised them, that the pension would be there....Is it???? They promise now, that SS will be there.....will it be??? They promise that your 401K, Roth, or what ever instrument you think is going to be "yours" because they said so, will be there for you and your family.....will it be, do you really think so????? Really????? so did they, the ones who had been promised the SS, or the pension......they really, really believed it would be there too......What do you think? :shrug:

I understand your points here. The thing about personal investments is you do own them. It would take incredible precedent for these to somehow be taken away. Not saying it is impossible, but I'm not worried about it at this point in time. What I do see is these investments being taxed at ridiculous rate to take care of all the bottom feeders who made poor choices their entire lives, and now feel entitled to something for nothing.

Also, I have to take the chance. I can't sit here and say, well it might be taken away in 30 years so I'd better not do it. I'm doing everything I can to save and invest as much money as possible under the current system. I'm sure things will change from time to time, but I have to make the best of the current options I have available to me.