XPO | How do you control claims while hiring inexperience?

It's not that they can't figure it out. You have to remember, this is a company that is ran on fiction, like a book. It looks good on paper so thats the way they want it to run. Reality and Con-Way don't go together. Yes, they want to be like O.D. but the problem is that they also want to haul the garbage and junk freight that O.D. won't. You can walk down the dock during the re-ship and look at all of the garbage freight and say alot of it is going to be a claim. Steel, long tubes, machines that are not crated........... it goes on forever.

Wow very well said I agree 100% we haul Crap no one else wants and for Free most times Why ?>?> are we that Stupid Up-Top that we Can't Figure out what is Gravy and what is not !!!

We had our Monday morning meeting (Tuesday). Our sales rep insisted that things would get "back to normal" now that John was gone because he instituted "some really bad policies". I tried to explain that yes, he was the Prez, but he did nothing without the approval of Doug and the BOD. That just didn't compute within her realm of reality. Very few people will ship with us because we have gotten such a bad reputation. We were discussing "ICE" and one of the new hires (over 90 days) asked what that was. I don't intentionally damage things, and I don't know anyone at my barn that does. However, there are a lot of people out there that are frustrated with the cuts in wages and benefits and they will cut off their nose to spite their face.

Well According to the Survey we all took this year the Results say !! for this ? do you feel you fairly compensated in wages and Benefits for what you do ??? did you know apparently 19.9 % higher approval Rating than previous year ??? Wonder in the Rigged the Vote some how lmfao !!!!!!!!!!

They ALL are just another trucking company. Companies now being led by people with no industry experience. Just read about it in a book. The companys' decisions are made by watching stats that a computer spits out. On the dock you have supervisors who are hired not by experience but by how little they are willing to be paid and how willing they are to just say "yes sir". Supervisors used to come from off the dock or out of the trucks. That is what this whole industryt is today.

So how long does it take to change the direction for a sub-group of employees within a company? If the company recognizes the need for improved hiring and pay packages of certain groups to improve their performance, how long before the change creates improvements to the company's bottom line?

I can't wait to read from the entitled about how they have been wronged when supervisors and dock workers receive improved compensation.

So how long does it take to change the direction for a sub-group of employees within a company? If the company recognizes the need for improved hiring and pay packages of certain groups to improve their performance, how long before the change creates improvements to the company's bottom line?

I can't wait to read from the entitled about how they have been wronged when supervisors and dock workers receive improved compensation.

I can see from your lack of reading comprehension, that you must be a supervisor. Its not about paying them more, its about hiring the most qualified as opposed to who's cheapest. Its about hiring people who can use their experience and make a decision on the spot and not have to consult with a higher up or a computer statistic to make it for them. I can get any chimpanzee to walk around with a clipboard and repeat what was drilled into their head by a computer screen. And the computer is only as smart as the person who programs it. And I guarantee you, the person who programmed it couldn't tell you the difference between a kingpin and a load bar. We had a regional safety manager come thru our terminal and he was asked how much driving experience he had. He said "none, but I've read many books about CDL driving". He then adjourned the meeting. This is becoming the norm in most levels of management in most companies in the industry.

I can see from your lack of reading comprehension, that you must be a supervisor. Its not about paying them more, its about hiring the most qualified as opposed to who's cheapest. Its about hiring people who can use their experience and make a decision on the spot and not have to consult with a higher up or a computer statistic to make it for them. I can get any chimpanzee to walk around with a clipboard and repeat what was drilled into their head by a computer screen. And the computer is only as smart as the person who programs it. And I guarantee you, the person who programmed it couldn't tell you the difference between a kingpin and a load bar. We had a regional safety manager come thru our terminal and he was asked how much driving experience he had. He said "none, but I've read many books about CDL driving". He then adjourned the meeting. This is becoming the norm in most levels of management in most companies in the industry.

lack of reading comprehension identifies my job description... man you are good... ya got me there junior. I've been outed. After all these years of hiding my true identity it's my lack of reading comprehension that gets me. You must be a recent graduate of rodent 101. I see your professor has stroked your mangina already.

You've missed your calling. Ya know I already feel better, like a burden has been lifted from my shoulders. Man, you are truly some kind of F.O.S. Whisperer. Wait 'till White Shirt hears about this, I know he can use your services.

OK, back on point, "If the company recognizes the need for improved hiring and pay packages of certain groups to improve their performance, how long before the change creates improvements to the company's bottom line?" So which part of this did you fail to comprehend as you read it? How do you hire the most qualified without recognizing the need to improve hiring? How do we move away from the cheapest candidate without improving pay packages?

You have made your professor proud, you must have graduated at the top of your class Ratatouille.

Do you realy think what you think matters at all, you fool!
Do the fine folks at the helm of Conway freight or for that matter the Board of Directors really believe that hiring untrained and inexperienced people is going to lower costs? On the contrary, the facts speak volumes about the realities of this business model. Claims are at an all time company high and so is finger pointing! Let's understand this, if 5600 new employees come on board with little to know experience, then it's elementary. DAMAGES......ACCIDENTS....and flat out carelessness is the result. Let's get back to basics and value your proffessional seasoned employees and return the motivations (i.e. pension, full 401K match and full I.C.P.) that made this establishment the successful and very profitable company it once was. We use to set the standard and now we chase mom and pop companies such as R + L and Old Dominion with our 62 MPH mentallity. Inept handhelds that have significantly slowed productivity, and concerned our focus on everything but the customer and the employees. Trying to train kids who work our docks and have an incredibly cavalier attitude about our customers freight is not the answer. Just food for thought. Please take control of this company's destiny, we're all counting on that!