TForce | How is life at upsf?

the bus 36

TB Lurker
Credits
Just a couple of questions that I hope I can get answered.
I saw on their website that they would be taking apps in near future. What is the starting hourly rate as a city p&d driver and how soon before new employees get vacation?
Do you guys get personal days and is there any sick days?
Thanks!

UPSF is union and the first contract is not that great but workable. It takes 3 years to get to full scale, 5 days vacation after a year and there are 3 discretionary days. (personal, illness, appointments and so forth. I think the contract was posted on here somewhere but I can't find it now.

The contracted pay rate for city drivers is better for those who are already here, but not for new hires. You are, however, coming to work for one of the most stable companies in the world so the upside makes it well worth toughing it out through your first three years.

Coming in today you would make 14.63 to start then be up to 15.68 in a couple of months, 16.72 after one year, 18.81 after two years and then after three years you would hit top scale which will be 24.83, roughly a $6 raise. The next year (July 2013) you'd be at $26.15 and who knows after that. Coming in it would be tough, but there is certainly enough of a reason to tough it out with the most important not being the money. It's knowing you're working for a company that will be here in 20 years and knowing that unless you do something stupid, you will never have to look for another job and start over again. I've had to do that twice and it's tough.

Good luck to you.

One more thing. I believe they are taking applications online right now. They've opened up the entire system. If you apply, I wouldn't hesitate to call the local TM and start working on him. When he has the green light to hire, if he knows you by name you stand a better chance of getting called before the hundreds of others who have applied. One thing I've learned in this business is that the most important thing is to apply when they're actually hiring. Right now, you don't know when that will be and you need to get your name in the hat and have them interested in you before they get to that point. Most of the guys that I know who got hired here were in the process for a while and were communicating with the TM and he was waiting for the clearance to hire, meaning it was done before it started. That's just how it works sometimes.

You also might consider getting hired for the dock as a casual and then when they hire drivers, you will get the nod before anyone off of the street. That's the surest way to get a driving job here. But be ready to work because things are changing here and they're changing fast.

upsf road salary

Can anyone give me the skinny on your road salary? Also, how do you distinguish which terminal runs sleepers, and which ones don't. I don't want anything to do with snoozer cruizers. thanks

Can anyone give me the skinny on your road salary? Also, how do you distinguish which terminal runs sleepers, and which ones don't. I don't want anything to do with snoozer cruisers. thanks

.38 a mile for first 45 days then .4079 till you hit a year.

Second year is .43 I think than third year is top rate which I am not sure about. somewhere around .50 I think.

When you are not getting paid by the mile for like D/H and dock work you are getting the dock rate. $16.13 after 45 days for the first year but for some reason we get .60 less than whatever our rate should be.

Sucks the first three years but the bennies are good and like the other guy said it is stable.

I am still waiting for this big change. Had alot of promises in the past 5 months but still only working an average of 2-3 days a week cause the business is so off

My opinion:

In spite of our "First Ever" contract bugs and working through its issues with management, union and employee, I love working for UPSF.
There is not one day where I dread working at UPSF.

I can honestly say, "I can't wait to come into work"
Overnite employees were blessed by UPS buying them out. Some don't see the bottom line blessing in this.
It's there, we don't stay stagnant, we move forward to becoming ever efficient in the way we do things and offer services to our customers.
We are in the midst of sinking our claws into many areas.

We need to remain at the upper echelon of offering cutting edge innovative worldwide services to our customers and mean it it when we say, "What Can Brown Do For You" as we all help synchronize their world of commerce.

Every company has there major and minor problems, we have our bad days, but overall this is one of the better if not best LTL's to work for.

If any newbie gets on board, make sure you bring with you a positive attitude on the first day, do not compare your old LTL company with UPSF.
Do not try to cheat the company and expect a fair days pay for a fair days work.

No, I'm not a brown noser management kiss arse. I just have a positive attitude about things.

The contracted pay rate for city drivers is better for those who are already here, but not for new hires. You are, however, coming to work for one of the most stable companies in the world so the upside makes it well worth toughing it out through your first three years.

Coming in today you would make 14.63 to start then be up to 15.68 in a couple of months, 16.72 after one year, 18.81 after two years and then after three years you would hit top scale which will be 24.83, roughly a $6 raise. The next year (July 2013) you'd be at $26.15 and who knows after that. Coming in it would be tough, but there is certainly enough of a reason to tough it out with the most important not being the money. It's knowing you're working for a company that will be here in 20 years and knowing that unless you do something stupid, you will never have to look for another job and start over again. I've had to do that twice and it's tough.

Good luck to you.

Good post and response. How refreashing...:popcorn:

Driver rate. $15.05 probation period.
$16.13 after 45 working days(-orientation)
$17.20 after 12 months
$19.35 after 24 months
Top pay after 36 months

Driver rate. $15.05 probation period.
$16.13 after 45 working days(-orientation)
$17.20 after 12 months
$19.35 after 24 months
Top pay after 36 months

What is the Current "Top Pay" ?

And what is it in 3 years.

In the contract I can not find "Top Pay" Amounts

Also forgot to ask, what is the top rate for road drivers.

Single/Double Sleeper(Per driver) Triple SleeperTriple
(Per driver)

1/1/09 0.5688 0.3025 0.5788 0.3085
7/1/09 0.5775 0.3069 0.5875 0.3129

1/1/12 0.6270 0.3316 0.6370 0.3376
7/1/12 0.6376 0.3370 0.6476 0.3430

All miles obviously paid per mile.
Shall be paid over routes designated by the employer based on data provided by "Microsoft streets and maps" or any future succesor program.

If your tryin to figure out wether or not to go to road or city, MY personal opinion is go with city. You may make, more with road but you have more of a chance of getting laid off, atleast in our barn. May be differant somewhere else, but we are still hiring city drivers, and still have a few road drivers off.

Besides, I can start a whole new thread on this, but I think the need for road drivers will be drastically reduced in years to come, by use of train.
Instead of putting 14 skids on a pup going from chicago to san diego and hitting 10 terminals on the way, why not put it on a rail, straight shot, half the price. My opinion though, I'm not sayin it will happen, just sayin it could, if they don't already or started to atleast.

Single/Double Sleeper(Per driver) Triple SleeperTriple
(Per driver)

1/1/09 0.5688 0.3025 0.5788 0.3085
7/1/09 0.5775 0.3069 0.5875 0.3129

1/1/12 0.6270 0.3316 0.6370 0.3376
7/1/12 0.6376 0.3370 0.6476 0.3430

All miles obviously paid per mile.
Shall be paid over routes designated by the employer based on data provided by "Microsoft streets and maps" or any future succesor program.

If your tryin to figure out wether or not to go to road or city, MY personal opinion is go with city. You may make, more with road but you have more of a chance of getting laid off, atleast in our barn. May be differant somewhere else, but we are still hiring city drivers, and still have a few road drivers off.

Besides, I can start a whole new thread on this, but I think the need for road drivers will be drastically reduced in years to come, by use of train.
Instead of putting 14 skids on a pup going from chicago to san diego and hitting 10 terminals on the way, why not put it on a rail, straight shot, half the price. My opinion though, I'm not sayin it will happen, just sayin it could, if they don't already or started to atleast.

loopy105,
How can your terminal be hiring drivers off of the street when you all have road drivers, still on lay-off. I am not getting that!:nono:

loopy105,
How can your terminal be hiring drivers off of the street when you all have road drivers, still on lay-off. I am not getting that!:nono:

Without giving out my exact location, I will say I work in the Chicago area where there is 2 locals working in one barn. 705covers all city drivers and 710 covers all road and dock workers, therefore, yes they can.
We have three seniority lists, (city, dock and road) and city drivers don't work the dock.